I got the a email from Mail.com (who I use for some mail services) about the Mail.com Search Bar.

Buried in the EULA it says:

quote:
    By downloading the Mail.com Search Bar, you accept the Mail.com Search Bar License Agreement,
    which also gives eXact Advertising LLC permission to display relevant contextual information
    to you in the form of advertisements should they decide to do so. It is our policy to
    distribute the Mail.com Search Bar only to users who have been provided the Mail.com Search Bar
    license agreement. If you believe you have received the Mail.com Search Bar without the
    license agreement being provided, please let us know at search_bar@staff.mail.com

Uh-oh, sounds like popups or something. I'd never hear of Exactsearch before.. is it a known parasite?

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It wouldn't be buried in the EULA if it was a legit tool bar period. They'd have placed a complete explaination up front on their web pages if they gave a rats ass about their users. Opt-out spammer marries BHO parasite in hopes of making kids who steal lunch money from weaklings.

WebMaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Hmm.. time to find a sacrificial PC and test it.

For what it's worth, mail.com are a fairly legit outfit.. but I have a contractual dispute with them (they think "lifetime service" is 2 years).

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

I do not think mail.com are much of a legit company, even if their main service is of use to some people.

Mail.com (now their advertising spinoff company eXact/Pattern Discovery) are responsible for the BargainBuddy adware installed by Net2Phone, mail.com Alerts and other apps. For them to come up with this new adware is not a great surprise.

I shall be adding it to my detection script.

--
    Andrew Clover
    mailto:and@doxdesk.com
    http://and.doxdesk.com/

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread