I read a few posts about what is good web site promotion and noticed that I didn't see some of the more conventional methods listed here. Has anyone tried flier campaigns, radio or television advertising, Newspaper ads, anything along those lines? I would be very interested in seeing the results others have had.

I tried a window flier campaign during a local university football game but unfortunately my stats have been down so I can't see the numbers following that. Sales however didn't pickup. I guess that would be the most important number.

Any other success/fail stories would be great.

thank
    Steve

I wouldn't expect the more conventional advertising to work. Just because the audience targeted is not sitting at their computer. What are the chances that you will see an ad for a website, remember the address, and go straight to your computer.

Your best bet is to find your audience on the internet, and advertise to them there.

Best Regards,
    C. Pavlovski - Owner
    Site: http://www.gekkonetworks.com
    Email: cpavlovski@gekkonetworks.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Has anyone tried flier campaigns, radio or television advertising, Newspaper ads, anything along those lines?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I've had a couple of sites mentioned (for free) in a New Zealand print magazine (internet related). This resulted in an increase of New Zealand traffic so I might one day purchase a classified ad for my newsletter for a couple of months (it's affordable).

-------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Web Hosting Solutions

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I paid Santa to paste my domain sticker on all the computer monitors he saw during his rounds. The traffic should com pooring in ASAP.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Our company (Web CEO) did try a one-time newspaper advertising experiment once, but the results [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] were... not that great. Lesson learned: if you work the Internet audience - post your ad where they can CLICK IT!

Vlad Lysik
    E-mail: affiliates@webceo.com
    http://www.webceo.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I had a local Ohio news station evidently show my site in a segment they did on the Internet. Didn't know anything about it, but all of a sudden I started getting a bunch of requests for the free sample I offer for one of my products. A couple of people put notes saying where they had heard about it. I didn't know the news station even did it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] That was a couple of years ago. I still get a higher proportion of orders coming out of Ohio than I would expect and some of those original requests turned into long-term repeat customers.

Evidently some print outlet also featured my offer recently (again unknown to me) as I got started getting requests and they had torn out the ad. Unfortunately, nothing on the torn out ads indentified what the publication was. Not sure if I had paid for the promotion if the ROI would have been worth it or not, but I'll take free advertising anytime someone wants to throw it my way.

And see Mike, not all freebees are evil. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I run an honest one. LOL. Try the product before you buy it. I do get a great ROI running it. Especially since I get the product samples for free and make my visitors send a SASE to weed out the freebie hunters who aren't really interested in what they are getting. All the inbound links from freebie sites who have picked up the offer on their own keeps my google ranking for the product name at number 2, only after the manufacture site (who doesn't sell direct to consumers.)

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

We have done radio advertising and have done rather well with it. I don't think all websites would have that success, but radio can be somewhat target. We run campaigns on some news stations, several business stations, and we advertise our other services on a few music stations. I'd have to say that the business/news works very well for what we do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    I read a few posts about what is good web site promotion and noticed that I didn't see some of the more conventional methods listed here. Has anyone tried flier campaigns, radio or television advertising, Newspaper ads, anything along those lines? I would be very interested in seeing the results others have had.

I tried a window flier campaign during a local university football game but unfortunately my stats have been down so I can't see the numbers following that. Sales however didn't pickup. I guess that would be the most important number.

Any other success/fail stories would be great.

thank
    Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Conventional Marketing for an Online Business is not as good as Online Marketing.

However, heavy TV or Radio Advertising can work very well, if your site name is easy to remember (like Vehix.com).

If you are a business with physical locations, display/mention your Website URL everywhere.
    In-Store, Magazines, Flyers, TV Ads, Radio, Business Cards, Letter Heads, Call Center etc. etc.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Our company (Web CEO) did try a one-time newspaper advertising experiment once, but the results were... not that great. Lesson learned: if you work the Internet audience - post your ad where they can CLICK IT!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    As with online marketing targeting does count.

Compared to a magazine that has a targeted audience, a newspaper that has a very wide ranged audience won't yield the same results. I've never typed in a url from a newspaper but I type in url's from internet and pc mags on a regular basis because they are targetted to me.

-------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Web Hosting Solutions

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Compared to a magazine that has a targeted audience, a newspaper that has a very wide ranged audience won't yield the same results. I've never typed in a url from a newspaper but I type in url's from internet and pc mags on a regular basis because they are targetted to me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto....we run some print ads....With Web Hosting we don't see a huge response, but with our Dial-Up and Telephone services, we have a better return.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Michelle, Tom or anyone,

Just out of curiousity, what does a 30 second radio add cost to run. I'm sure they are all different but just a general ball park figure if you can. Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

One of my "content" web sites got mentioned favorably in a Wall Street Journal editorial column by Robert Bartley, and I got an extra 10,000 hits that Monday. Not bad if you can get it for free.

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not bad if you can get it for free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Wayne Brady Show approached us over the holidays to take part in their Holiday Gift and Gadget segment. We had more sales the day that aired than any other day in the season.

That was fantastic, but an exception to the rule. We'll jump on freebies like Wayne Brady until our feet fall off, but I agree that it's most effective to advertise where you can click it.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

One of the best things that increases conversation ratio is a good sales letter (web copy).

Oskars

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Has anyone tried flier campaigns, radio or television advertising, Newspaper ads, anything along those lines? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, after reading some way-out posts here concerning advertising on the radio last year, I called a few local (and not so local) stations.

SUUREE, it SEEMS like it could be cheap--only $10-$30/spot on some channels (if you want a popular station, though, siddown--50 bucks/30 secs or more!).

But then they mentioned how my ONE HUNDRED SPOTS would be aired over the course of the WEEK! At most of the stations, that added up to something like $3200! A week! Less than that amount of airings, they claimed, and I wouldn't make a lasting impression on the listeners.

I hung up and typed "www.inktomi.com" into the browser real fast.

~Revenue is King

We, for obvious reasons, rely heavily on extensive newspaper ads. We also have a trade deal with a small radio station and the region's cable provider. All vehicles have the phillyBurbs URL plastered on them, as to the business cards for all employees.

Next step - more extensive trade with a stronger radio partner, trade agreements with regional magazines.

Certainly, world domination can only be a few weeks away. A month, tops.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    For about forty bucks I had a sign and logo company put a decal on the back window of my vehicle. Bumper stickers may be the cheap thing, too, especially if you got plenty of family members, and friends who wouldnt mind your domain on their car. I figured, "hell, why pay a cab company for a limited amount of time, when I drive my car ALL the time!" It is a localized way of branding your domain into peoples minds. It is really good if your domain has words in it that describe well what your site is. It is limited, as it doesnt reach the web. However, when mom gets the kids off to school, she will remember getyercouponshere.com (I dunno if that one actually exists or not), and get to surfing the web with that cup of vanilla flavored coffee she likes so well. yuk. give me strong black and plenty of caffeine!

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread