I just got an email from Ebates saying I had a rebate coming. In checking it out, an order I made at GoodGuys.com through my own affiliate link showed up in their account and is showing up for me at ebates.
    I have not had ebates on my computer since Thanksgiving. I used their uninstall program, ran AdAware and also checked my computer for any left behind files at the time I uninstalled it around Thanksgiving.
    I placed this order on Dec. 16th, long after uninstalling the program and still ebates got credit.
    Obviously they are still able to intercept affiliate links even after uninstalling.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The sales information should be forwarded to to someone at the network willing to go beyond cursory examination. This is a serious issue that begs for CoC action. That document was also to enforce a simple COMPLETE uninstall to remove all of the BHO theftware bundle.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! Where's the love and show me the money?

I did forward my order info and am hoping they will take the sale from ebates and give credit where credit is due - to me.
    I spent $450 on a camera and want my credit!
    Otherwise I will send it back.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

That is strange. At first I thought it might be a long-duration cookie but I checked the GoodGuys affiliates agreement and their cookie is only 72 hours.

The agreement may be wrong so I would have a look in your cookie folder for anything related to GoodGuys or Ebates and see what you find.

Hope you get your commission back. I know in my program I would pay out if you emailed me.

Regards,

Mark......

Mark Mitford
    Sales Director
    Dotster, Inc
    http://www.dotster.com/
    15% Commission - 90 day cookie - 0% reversals

I delete my cookies and my history every day when I shut down. So it could'nt have been a left over cookie. Don't like to clutter up my computer. So it couldn't be a cookie issue.
    And I hadn't been to GoodGuys when I had ebates installed. I was too busy working on my site and it wasn't on my list of merchants to check when I was checking.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Perhaps eBates' cookie is longer than ours??

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Drive-by install that happened after you deleted the known copy?

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

It couldn't be a driveby, there is no trace of it on my computer that I can see.
    I check my computer several times a week to make sure there aren't any hidden things on my computer that are new.
    There has to be something here, but I can't find it. Guess I will spend the weekend going over my computer looking for files.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    I imiagine if you have a static IP they could update your cookies underhandedly every so often via a file if they wanted to.

ABW Ambassador
    speaking of which you better go save off the cookie as evidence before........

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm. There has to be an explanation for this...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

I delete all my cookies every night, so they can't update cookies that aren't there. It has to be something else non-cookie related.
    Some kind of script or something maybe?

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

quote:
    Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    I delete all my cookies every night, so they can't update cookies that aren't there. It has to be something else non-cookie related.
    Some kind of script or something maybe?

I'm sure this isn't the case here, but I was reading about RemindU over on the Amazon boards and part of the instructions say something along the lines of (loosely paraphrased) "registering your credit card number with us, so that each purchase you make with qualifying merchants will still be credited to your account even if you don't click a pop-up or come to our site first."

So, I suppose, even with the "list" the credit for any sales like that will go to remindu (and others that start promoting that kind of thing)

Trust me, ebates only has my email address. I never gave them any other info, no home address or anything in my account. Only gave them my email so I could install and test at Thanksgiving time.

I am going to check every file and folder on my computer until I get to the bottom of it.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Evidently GoodGuys has some kind of internal system that identifies your computer by it's ip address.
    When you click thru an affiliate link, your ip address is matched up with that link.
    GoodGuys evidently according to my source gives the credit for the sale to the first affiliate to get the click. Even if you go thru another affiliate link the next day, the first affiliate still gets credit.
    They go with the first affiliate to get a click gets the sale no matter what.

However according to their Agreement, http://www.goodguys.com/BeFree_AffiliateAgreement.asp
    it states:
    You will earn a Commission only if your site is the Affiliate site from which the purchaser most recently linked to our site.

So the reason Ebates got credit for the sale was because at sometime in my testing of ebates I clicked on a GoodGuys.com link. It had nothing to do with cookies on my computer as they are deleted daily. It was because my computer was associated with ebates affiliate link on their internal system.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

quote:
    Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    Evidently GoodGuys has some kind of internal system that identifies your computer by it's ip address.

Is this a case of "no wonder they're embracing the list" or not?

It doesn't sound to me like "Good Guys" are really
    GOOD GUYS!

I'd write to them, advise them of the transaction, and of their TOS that clearly indicates they are in the wrong in this instance, and tell them you want the commission!

This does make me wonder if there's already a way around the exclusion list, before it even gets started...

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread