Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone spent any time reviewing these two intertwined servives? Do they comply with the code of conduct?

http://shoppingguru.com/

http://popupcoupons.com/

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Another B-a-HO with "incent" coupon and limited time specials brought to you by CJ -LS & BeFree autoloads. So far they have 840 merchants, from all 4 major networks, so they obviously have inside connections to get auto-approval without screening by even the most anti-parasite AM's.

I even see TigerDirect -Mondera -ClearWater Creek -BareNecessities etc etc on their list.
    Checkout your favorites, who will get your affiliate ID# overwritten, by these affiliate BHO wanks. http://shoppingguru.com/allmerchants.asp
    their pull down "merchant quick pick" menu is a real eye opener. Wonder if it's TopMoxie driven??

brought to you by www.popuptips.com
    PopUpTips are your short, branded messages that pop-up when your customers surf to web pages of your choice.

No job is too big or too small. We have rates and plans that are affordable to every business, from the very small home based business, to the multinational fortune 500. With PopUpTips you can:
    Establish a permanent link between you and your current community.
    Provide your users with a service they appreciate.
    Drive users back to your Web site.
    Drive new users into your community.
    Maximize your ROI for online initiatives.

Sounds like a old mix of TopText -Ezula -TopMoxie and spywarez.
    Whom do I contact if I have problems with installing or uninstalling popuptips or notes?
    If you have problems with installing or uninstalling you can contact our technical suppport through email at support@popup.net
    What can I do with PopUpTips?
    Our partners use PopUpNotes to deliver incentives, alerts and reminders to their customers. The PopUpTips end user expects to get highly targeted, useful and actionable information right where they need it on the web.

PopUpNotes, PopUpTips and PopUpAds can be e-mailed by the end user. Receiving the e-mail enrolls the new recipient(s) in the free service and presents the content on top of the web page on which it is placed.

The PopUpNetwork has expanded the web infrastructure to allow information to be targeted to individual users in context with their interests as they surf the web. As users surf to a particular web site they may be simultaneously presented with a message delivered by the PopUpNetwork.

This message, while delivered by us, contains information from a third party and is placed on top of target web pages without any involvement from the target site. PopUpTipsSM, PopUpNotesSM and PopUpAdsSM can contain anything you might see on a typical web page. The information might be personal, having been created by the end user (PopUpNotes), or the information could be corporate, and may contain an advertisement, advisory or review (PopUpAds, PopUpTips).

2 of the domains are registered to Tucows.com
    Domain Name: POPUPCOUPONS.COM
    Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
    Domain Name: SHOPPINGGURU.COM
    Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.

so they can get FREE downloads of their BHO crapolla. I also noticed Verisign/Networksolutions pushing free download Ads for the Golden Retriever BHO on their pages.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on December 30, 2002 at 02:25 PM.]

Here is the proprietor from the domain registration services...

(popupcoupons.com)

William J. Steele
    P.O. Box 177
    Harrison, OH 45030 US
    Tel: 8126371675

(shoppingguru.com)

Unknown
    , NY 13021 US
    Tel: +1 315 252 3140
    Email: info@shoppingguru.com

US Mail: PopupCoupons.com
    The Phoenix Building
    2 South Street, Suite 414
    Auburn, New York 13021

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

I downloaded their software.. it froze any page that had java script on it!

Great piece of crap...

ShoppingGuru.com would like to clear the air on this parasite issue. PopupCoupons.com was introduced around 5 months ago to provide the end-user with easy access to online coupons and special offers. The intention was not to steal away sales from other publishers, but to display coupons when a merchant's root URL is typed into a browser. The service is completely opt-in so the end-user fully understands the service for which they are signing up for. Commissions were not diverted unless the user clicked on the coupons. One could argue that if a coupon offered by PopupCoupons is utilized, then the sale should go to PopupCoupons. The motivation for the sale may have been the discount which PopupCoupons provided. Shouldn't PopupCoupons be compensated for a sale if the user utilizes a service for which they freely signed up for?

Nonetheless, PopupCoupons understands the concerns of other publishers and has modified the PopupCoupons service to comply with the "Publisher Code of Conduct" by removing the links from the popup windows that would divert commissions.
    See Art.com Coupons for an example.

Also ShoppingGuru.com/PopoupCoupons.com have no affiliation with Coupon Surfer as a previous post suggests. PopupCoupons used the technology from Popup Networks. A link to them can be found on the PopupCoupons home page.

PopupCoupons displays coupons in popup windows given a specific URL, nothing more. So the parasite activists can relax about this one.

Stop Searching... Start Shopping
    http://ShoppingGuru.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    The intention was not to steal away sales from other publishers, but to display coupons when a merchant's root URL is typed into a browser.

Come on guys. We have to give these companies a break. They aren't stealing from publishers...just merchants. That's okay. It is like stealing from the cable company or cheating on your taxes.

This stealing is just a little white lie type of stealing that doesn't matter. All SG does is say that traffic that the merchant built through other channels...like expensive catalogs, tv campaigns came from SG. It's kind of like a little joke on the merchant.

It is the merchants who are stupid enough to have coupons will lose money. It's like a stupidity tax.

It's like collecting food stamps when you are making $100k selling drugs to kids in junior high. You are just taking advantage of the fact that you don't have to report drug sales to children on your income tax. Your reported income is below poverty line, so taking foodstamps is okay.

You know, like cities are stupid and put brass manhole covers on the street. Well, these are just there for any one to pick up and sell for scrap. I mean, taking stuff that people aren't guarding is okay.

ShoppingGuru only steals from merchants. Not publishers...well, they do steal from publishers when shoppers come back to the site to complete the sale. But that is only stealing a little bit. That's just stealing return days.

It is only stealing in the sense that commissions that the publisher would have earned was diverted from the publisher into the pockets of SG. It's not stealing like pointing a gun at you and taking your car.

ShoppingGuru just steals return days, not sales that took place on the same session as the click. Stealing return days is okay. Really it is.

It's like the difference between paying for your groceries with a forged check and running out of the grocery store with a bag of stuff you didn't pay for. The first is okay, the second isn't. Forging checks requires technical sophistication, and is okay. Really, it is.

It's like when politicians buy personal items on government credit cards. It's all okay, because they get away with it.

Is it really stealing when an accountant fudges the corporate books so the stock goes higher? Okay, so the accountant sells his company stock and makes money from the fraud. Okay, maybe he advises his friends to short the stock. But I mean, who is the accountant really stealing from when he fudges the book. No-one really. It's an okay type of stealing.

I mean, ShoppingGuru is more sophisicated than you. As Sophists, they answers to a higher morality. These things are all okay when you have a higher morality.

After all, isn't the Internet just a big con game anyway? All it is is a matter of trying to find the clever trick, and score the big one.

I mean this is capitalism. I read Marx. SG is just acting the way that Marx says Capitalism works. The strongest make back room deals and over powers the weakest.

What SG does is just clever tricks to manipulate the system, and is okay. You are still left with some stuff.

boom!

yintercept

Very well put. I could not have expressed it as well. Right on!

yintercept

ShoppingGuru.com

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Yes, we have no bananas. "Root...Typed into the browser," yup, uh huh.

root.com\ = popup
    root.com\otheraffiliateid\specific product\ = whoo hoo, did I see a root there? = popup

ShoppingGuru.com wrote:
    quote:
    Shouldn't PopupCoupons be compensated for a sale if the user utilizes a service for which they freely signed up for?

SHOULDN'T THE WEB SITE THAT MOTIVATED THE END USER TO VISIT THE MERCHANT'S SITE BE COMPENSATED FOR THEIR EFFORTS?

Another case of "do as I say, not as I do."

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

First, if merchants are agreeing to this type of practice, it's not stealing from merchants! And, while parasites are stealing from all affiliates, merchants do not care about that, WHY WOULD I CARE WHEN SOMEONE STEALS FROM MERCHANTS?

Second, popping up coupons do decrease our sales, eventhough they do not directly overwrite the affiliate links. They stop the duration of our cookies. UNFORTUNATELY, this is not prohibited by merchants and networks, even with the Code of Conduct.

Code of conduct....That's a laugh.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Quote by ShoppingGuru.com:
    "One could argue that if a coupon offered by PopupCoupons is utilized, then the sale should go to PopupCoupons. The motivation for the sale may have been the discount which PopupCoupons provided. Shouldn't PopupCoupons be compensated for a sale if the user utilizes a service for which they freely signed up for?
    "

This is like saying that although the waiter sat me down, took my order, filled my water glass, brought me the food, and asked if everything was okay, that the tip is going to the busboy because he came by and waved the pepper grinder over my food.

With this in mind are you going to split commissions when a person goes to my site and sees a special on what they were looking for which drove them to the merchants page to make a sale, and along the way they utilized your service. Seems to me you ought to have a mechanism to split commissions. While you are at it is it only when a person types in a url into their browser? If I were the merchant I'd say NO WAY, that is money out of my pocket. There is no telling where the consumer heard about the website. If not, do you offer to split commissions with the merchant? You should, it is only fair.

Merchants ought to deny affiliate status to people who have these kind of programs. They are losing tons of money. You think they are bringing you sales but they aren't. They are only sponging off of your hard work.

LOL ..."It is the merchants who are stupid enough to have coupons will lose money. It's like a stupidity tax."
    This statement sure nails down why most affiliate managers need to be fired for lazy stupid moves by the actual merchants. They confuse pay-per-performance with advertising in direct mail and parking lot fliers. No coupon should ever be even considered by a smart merchant wishing to force pre-sell "value add" by their affiliate SALES force. Coupons are a pure play advertising ploy sent to repeat buyers or a shopping incentive in a newpaper based Ad or paper catalog.

Why do you think these BHO wanks can get a license to steal from normal publishers and even merchants? Because the Advertising MINDSET of merchant AM's and network management bent over and passed the vaseline to these "incent" thieves. The networks poored all their programming efforts into accomodating theftware by enabling the autoloading of "incent" offers.

Want to see the end of all ETHICAL/THIEVERY problems within the networks? Have them PULL THE PLUG on all coupon/rebate/incent offers autoloads and bar any "incent" web sites from their affiliate/DUPERaffiliate pool. The stench we all smell comes from AM's who are too lazy to put up pages and creatives that close sales and from crooked affiliates who are too lazy to build sites that sell.

Sorry all you ABWers who have tried so hard to have "incent" offers on your sites to encourage clicks. That method when out of vogue with the .dom bombs and now is an exclusive marketing device of every thieving ebiz plan on the drawing boards.

Webmaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,
    Coupons help generate sales. It's a simple fact. Thats' why there are so many successful coupon sites. Even in retail, coupons and sales help generate sales. You're not focused on the real problem. Coupons and coupon codes are not evil. The problem is affiliates diverting from other affiliates. I was in the grocery business for awhile and when we had a $2 off $20 coupon in the paper it was our biggest day of sales. It's called smart shopping. You're one of the smarter people here but if you used a coupon once in awhile you would have better sale conversions. Example: when you were complaing about not getting 1 sale on 549 clicks from 1800 Flowers, i was getting 1 sale for every 9 clicks because i had a coupon code they provided. Coupons help with sales. It's a fact.

ABW Ambassador
    Sigh.. Another one. How many of these type of sites will it take before the average surfer has 5 or 6 of them popping up on every site they visit and all hell breaks looooose?

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, nice Bonzi Buddy too..

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

ABW Ambassador
    The Newer Nicer Joseph is right: As these parasites multiply like virus, people will finally catch on to their insidious nature. Perhaps the best thing the affiliate community could do is simply post the code for browser modifying parasites and let them multiply.

As all the criminal gangs and terrorists in the third world create versions of shoppingguru designed to attack the open society in America. Only then that we will be able to shed the illusion that these companies are somehow sophisticated.

boom!

Sure coupons help make sales, but why shouldn't the users see the coupons on the site in their shopping cart or right beside the item, or in a box on the side of the page? Why do losers get to add these little coupons on the cool little programs they had someone else write for them, and popup the coupon in a seperate window and give each other high fives when they get credit for something they shouldn't get credit for. Why are they there to start with, because they were on an affiliate site, a site that recommended them or from a search engine. These guys make me sick, it will be funny one day when all of this stuff gets shut down because of user complaints about popups, computer lockups and spam, and we'll get to listen to these guys whine and ask how they can work with us to get some of "their" commissions back.

ABW Ambassador
    I notice that Shoppingguru + Popupcoupons hasn't returned to to answer the questions and comments that have been added to this thread. I guess we are supposed to be happy with his explanation that he is not a parasite. I can't wait until they get their just dessert.
    Cazzie

I just use this classid in Andrew Clover's parasite detector

new Array("E0EA4A92-49BF-47BC-A936-DE3A18F75E31","PopUpNetWork")

COD

ABW Ambassador
    Celtic
    Just what does that do?
    Cazzie

quote:
    Originally posted by cazzie:
    Celtic
    Just what does that do?
    Cazzie

Keeps PopUpNetwork users out of my site

+ Reply to Thread