Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I was surfing around Rent-A-Coder when I came across this little "gem":

quote:
    From a bid request:
    The installed application should monitor the url currently being accessed, check it against a list on our server and if it finds a match then redirects the browser to the url on our list

The application should offer the same functionality and services as that offered by the momoney download available from ebates.com and should install automatically when selected for download.

Here's the page on rentacoder (it's an awfully long URL, it may break up):
    http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...equestId=24303

The next parasite?

Did you look further at the folks that want to hire a coder for the project? www.shoppin.net

They are someone to watch for - for sure. Run these guys up the flagpole to the programs they are an affiliate for?

The previous project that was unsuccessful was called "browser redirection." They look like a wannabe to some extent though, and cheap - wanting to pay no more than $500.

Amazing.

Fred

It's an affiliate site, with lots of Merchants. Try to click through on a merchant though, like Overstock or Tiger. Takes you to a rating page. They really want you to register to track purchases in order to give you a "Rebate."

Real entrepreneurs!

Fred

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I got sent to a page asking you to log in to get your rebate, but there was a link to click if you just wanted to go shopping anyway. If you clicked on that link here's what happens:

Takes you to the site in a frame. The frame says this: This frame stops sites using redirectors to claim your rebate click here to remove frame.

ROFLMAO! We're going to steal traffic from other affiliate sites, but don't you dare try to pull the same sh*t on our site! The url you get is http://www.shoppin.net/notopmoxie.asp?shop=xxx. "No Top Moxie"! The link the remove the frame is their affiliate URL. Hey I want that piece of coding running on my site. Anybody know how to do that????

Got these guys bookmarked to go back and check them in October when they release date is set. Then it will be time to start contacting merchants.

[edited to added more information]

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: BestLittleFreeHouse ]

quote:

Originally posted by buy_online:

The previous project that was unsuccessful was called "browser redirection." They look like a wannabe to some extent though, and cheap - wanting to pay no more than $500.

That asking price isn't unusual for Rent-a-Coder jobs. I belong to Rent-A-Coder and used to browse for projects but the money most buyers want to pay is way below standard. Not only that, the way Rent-a-coder is structured, you are signing away the rights to your work rather than licensing it. Huge mistake those prices.

Some off-shore programmer will pick that $500 up in a heartbeat.

{

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like crooked affiliates want in on the "darkside" by mimicing the likes of Cyber-rebates -eBates.com (watch that momoney plugin go Morpheus/Buyersport on us) wanting to incent traffic and suck commissions from us all. They all seem to need a FREEBEE download to bury the adwarez/redirect BHO backdoor to gain reach. This one uses the old incent "earn rebates" surf to earn scam.

Fred,

No, I was too tired of looking at sites (I'd already been looking at a bunch of sites for an unrelated reason) to check it out further last night.

But I thought their bid request clearly sounded like trouble in the making so I posted it here.

I'm looking now, and the first thing that I notice is they say they'll give back ALL the commissions!

Hmmm...

quote:
    From their FAQ:
    We currently don’t sell or rent your information.

"CURRENTLY"... then when they get a big list they'll sell or rent it to everyone who's buying!

Looks like this one is a poster child for Mike's remarks against freebie/incent spammers!

"Suspicious Activity! » Look what's coming over the horizon!"

I wasn't trying to be rude in my reply to your initial post in that thread. We all may be very lucky that you found that post at rentacoder, I appreciate it.

On another note, I spent the first thirty-years of my life in Michigan - I miss it.

Have a great day.

Fred [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cool...

Hopefully this scum won't get off the ground but if their name starts showing up in a big way, we'll already know what their software does...

As for Michigan, some parts of it are okay but the WEATHER sure sucks!

Just yesterday it was over 80 in the house and I was sweating, now today the furnace is blasting and I'm barely warm enough! Bah...I'd like to deport this weather (and the winter--especially the winter!) to the North Pole, IMport Hawaii's weather, and leave the rest of Mich pretty much the same. Then it would be a great state...

eBates -TopMoxie/MoMoney team up to feed off Amazon's affiliate traffic>>>

Looking over the list of 400+ merchants giving eBates ( A Duperaffiliate), often more than double our own commission rates, I see we'll need some sledge hammers to negotiate a pay raise with these same merchants. So Amazon is restricting the violation of their own affiliate TOS with one test case. A damn "incent" Duper with 400+ merchants and a autofeed from all the networks. Why didn't they just let LS -BeFree and CJ direct feed product links and coupons into the Amazon e-catalog and be done with it rather than their brain child eBates.

Sprinkle in the TopMoxie parasite script and make sure eBates & Company skim off commissions from all the regular Amazon affiliates. If it works out good then Amazon can deal with only one enity for outside "incent" sales ..eBates.. and fire their normal affiliates. Sure glad I dropped Amazon in 1999 when I saw what a greedy bunch of idiots ran their program.

Do you guys & Gals see a pattern evolving. The networks preach they are changing to be more affiliate friendly and transparent. Yet they automate and monitize the e-mail Opt-out spammers, Incent Dupers and all the parasites. They eventually will only have to deal with, and pay, a few darkside players at this rate. Can we see the day when the networks unplug the autofeeds on the Dupers and parasites and install their own scumware scripts and spam servers and retire away from all the normal affiliates hassles?? Then it's down to 3-5 networks sucking off sales/lead commissions from the entire merchant pool of advertisers as they try to kill each other off....

The rest of us would be left serving up banners on a CPM basis for $0.05 per thousand impressions. Wake up merchants ..is this really what you want? A monopoly structure for online advertising.

WebMaster Mike

These guys are now live, see this thread:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...322#9056033322

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    Sad.. pay some offshore coder ~$500 to steal how much?....

sad, sad...

BTW- This looks like the updated and finished project here.

Project Type: Small Business Project: $100 (USD)
    ----

Another..
    We are looking for a flash intro for our web site www.shoppin.net, we are a rebate store and the final flash intro should reflect our corporate image - colours etc and the content that is on our site - i.e shop online get gash back with different stores and the rebate % as well as the $ and £ sign.

The wining coder will have to submit a draft of the designs for the final one to be chosen from.

We will also be looking for banners at a later date which will be offered to the coder who completes this project first.

Finally we have 9 other sites that the flash if a sucess on shoppin.net will also be required for at a later date.

All in all they have 9 or 10 projects they got done on there.

Hmm
    Robert Moorehouse
    Scum.

Looks like a pretty half ass amateur operation, but, still something a potential threat nonetheless.

Though, I still blame the merchants.

Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

[This message was edited by Joseph Monuit on February 06, 2003 at 02:47 AM.]

Amazing that the programmers who would undertake the writing of these BHO thefwarez applications are all in countries mormally banned by CC companies from doing ecommerce purchases. Cyberterrorists seeking backdoors to siphon off CC and personal info from the complete application to enhance the cheap fee.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

This is great:
    quote:
    "...store and the final flash intro should reflect our corporate image..."

Their corporate image: A steaming pile of dog feces - nice image, huh?

Have we warned the merchants about thier other sites yet?

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

What happened to that thread? I clicked on that link Fred put, but no posts come up...

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    Leader,
    Haiko moved it here. (I think thats the one..)

Not sure why ubb is unable to keep track of that and do The Right Thing.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread