Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I was just doing a bunch of CJ approvals (checking numerous websites) and suddenly got a strange cursor. I know it was some type of driveby download but don't know if it's a parasite or what.

My cursor has a bunch of random dots scattered around it. No pattern, just kind of a shotgun affect. So whatever I do it's like the regular arrow cursor dragging a bunch of dirty scattered black spots.

Anyone know what this is or if I should worry?
    I hestitate to use Adaware because last time I did I had a fatal computer crash. Don't think Adaware caused it but just a little paranoid to go through that again.

Any ideas? How do I check my system for any programs, hidden files or dlls that were just added today?

High Commission ~ High Integrity ~ Affiliate Centered Programs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.roadloans.com $100 commission
    (More Linda certified programs coming soon!)

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Program Optimization, Consulting & Recruiting
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sounds like it could be CometCursor. CC lets your cursor do all sorts of cool stuff like have dots around it, change into little pictures, etc. It also lets webmasters make the cursors of CC'd visitors do things--some cool, and some annoying! (It's the kind of thing that mostly kids would want to look at *all* the time...for adults a little goes a long way but it can "spice up" a single webpage or two.)

Unfortunately, it's a spyware, and is reviled by many. Whether it does anything else right now, I'm not sure. They also don't tell webmasters about this characteristic, preferring to say things like "add a cool cursor to your site". It's clearly aimed at content sites--almost no Revenue/business site would want something like this.

Personally I don't hate CC's *non-hidden* effects (I used to have it on my c*ntent site to put a cool "tulip" cursor on the tulip-care pages), but they seemed to be turning into a parasiteware so I got rid of it quite some time ago. Also I read a lot of people complaining about it as a spyware! (I don't know if their "shopping" thingy ever got off the ground, though.)

And I will add that when I went to get rid of it off my computer, I had a heck of a time tracking down all the files. Good Luck doing it without *some* kind of spyware-removal software!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Thanks Leader! Right after I posted I had an IE crash. My entire desktop started flashing off and on so fact that I could not grab the start button to shut down. Finally got the blue screen of death and total crash. As soon as I restarted, the weird cursor was gone. I did a disk clean up and deleted new downloaded files. Hope that's the end of it. But seems too easy. Cross your fingers and Thanks for responding.

High Commission ~ High Integrity ~ Affiliate Centered Programs
    www.roadloans.com $100 commission
    (More Linda certified programs coming soon!)

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Program Optimization, Consulting & Recruiting
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

Linda,

If you go to www.parasiteware.com I have a detection script that will tell you what parasite you have, if any.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

it sounds like the fancy Web publishing trick some people do at sites such as www.staenberg.com

I think the text following the cursor is just javascript. It's INCREDIBLY tacky though.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Those effects can be okay on some content sites but it certainly doesn't give a businesslike impression...

As for it being Javascript, when it only happens on one site it's quite possible. But Linda's post said it was happening everywhere, after the effect started! That suggests to me that some kind of software was at work.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread