ABW Ambassador
    What do you do when a {family member, friend, relative} comes to you talking about UPromise and saving for their brat kid, err, {your neice, nephew, friend's kid, whatever} for college?

On the surface it sounds like such a Good Thing(tm), hell, if it works as advertised (leaving out the online portion entirely at the moment), it is a good thing...

Here you have Excited Mommy who is all excited about getting a few extra bucks for her brat later in life.. how do you then say "that is an evil corporation who steals from a lot of people (assuming that is your opinion)"? Explain further you just sound greedy (possibly). I can imagine the reply, "You mean, you'd rather get 15 cents from my baby rattle purchase than it going to baby johnny for college?" (ugh).

Are the non-online portions of this (and other similar) programs good? It seems hard to even conceive of using them, just because of what you're supporting. But, from what little I know of them you can tie your Visa card to the account, and qualifying purchases will automatically be credited. Seems like if you're using the card anyway........... What about said parent? What if they have already signed up and linked up?

Is the online "RemindU" portion parasitic for sure? It seems to be by our definitions. I have not installed and tested it. A brief search of ABW seems to say yes, but, nothing concrete. Is it TopMoxie powered? Mike said perhaps some version of it.

Its nice to know what we're dealing with.

In the past week I've had my parents mention both upromise and some other similar one to me, and another friend ask me about it for her kid and whether they have an affiliate program (ugh). Go to the gas station and see the damned brochures on the pumps. Grr.

If anyone chooses to respond please think before you post and dont make any statements which you could possibly be sued for...(some of) these companies are scum, but.. some things I've seen posted here seems like they could get you into trouble.. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after people in the future who post things which could be deemed to be "untrue" ...

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

quote:
    Are the non-online portions of this (and other similar) programs good?

Yes

quote:
    It seems hard to even conceive of using them, just because of what you're supporting.

Upromise has 3MM members after about two years of operation.

quote:
    But, from what little I know of them you can tie your Visa card to the account, and qualifying purchases will automatically be credited.

Yep

quote:
    Is the online "RemindU" portion parasitic for sure?

I'm not sure if it is 100% clean as of today.

quote:
    Is it TopMoxie powered?

Yes it is.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Reality check. Imagine how much money will actually get paid out on this TopMoxie powered Ponzi scheme when the perps don't have to cut checks for 10-15 years. Sounds like the ultimate ripp off where those holding the funds for Little Johnnies College Education have no controls placed upon them to pay up when those college bills come due.

Charlies "Hair Lipped Parrots Fund" will have a special saving account feature that will set aside a certain portion of donations and commissions for his Univ. of Michigan Tuition. Purchase now and give till it hurts so he can have the opportunities not afforded now to the Green People. Push those Credit cards and PayPal accounts to the max on his BHO driven charity site to open soon.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm.. thanks for the replies. Think I'm more confused now.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

There is nothing to be confused about ... IMO.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    There is nothing to be confused about ... IMO.
    Well, that clears it up..

----
    -J

ABW Ambassador
    I guess I'm confused when on March 27, 2003 you said:
    quote:

Upromise, IGive and the other bullpucky donation based sites that offer downloadable software are parasites!

Now, on April 9, you seem to be supporting them.

Charlie says they're crap.

I'm trying to get a general consensus on whether or not its a good program, in general. The online portion seems parasitic (but nobody is sure). I find it hard to support the program period if they are parasitic in one nature of their business model.

Normally I wouldn't care all that much, but, they have a very big offline marketing presence and, I get asked about these programs. I'm fairly ignorant as to how they truly operate and was hoping someone could school me a bit. I don't want to steer someone away from a Good Thing, due to my own conflicting interests in affiliate marketing. At the same time, I don't want to recommend something which could potentially be a Bad Thing.

I'll just steer them towards Charlie's fund, I suppose ...

I'm not even close to supporting them! They are BS, I just answered with facts pursuant to ...

quote:
    If anyone chooses to respond please think before you post and dont make any statements which you could possibly be sued for...(some of) these companies are scum

Haiko

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread