"Bazooka Bar
    The BazookaBar is a free Internet Explorer tool bar plugin that allows users to search from their browser, block pop up and pop under ads and protect themselves from unwanted parasiteware. Users have the option to turn off any feature they don't want to use."

is this a parasite or for real?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've downloaded it to test. Will do that later today or tomorrow. After I do a restore point on my computer in case the son of a gun really doesn't uninstall. No implying that is the case...just being proactive.

Sure hope it's not parasitic in anyway and it's a good app since they are promoting using the phrase "parasiteware".

BTW, if anyone knows a URL that is doing drive-by downloads of a parasite, could you please PM the URL so I can test out that aspect also?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Any findings yet?

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Ok, ok....I put of housecleaning to test it. I've got it installed and also did a little research on the company.

Perfect Presence Inc is the company who puts it out. CEO is Brian Welch. They have quite a few going on online including web hosting, leadcrunch.com, revenuedepot.com, and newslettersuite.com. They also have several aff centric sites themselves. In addition they do a few of those chance to win whatever prize when you register for newsletters. Bazookabar appears to be an attempt to protect their business interests related to AM. I also came across a few comments/articles by the CEO speaking out against parasiteware.

The actual toolbar has 3 functions: search, pop up blocker, and parasite detector. The pop up blocker appears to work.

Don't know about the parasiteware detector yet. Need a URL for where drive-bys are being served. Anyone picked one up recently and know where it came from, please let me know. I could find no documentation as to what actual programs it detects. I'm not sure yet, but it appears it is detecting just drive by installs. I've recently cleared all parasites off my computer, so at this point I'm not sure if it detects when a parasite program tries to work and blocks that also. I'll be installing the little joy that Haiko passed on later, so that should be a good test.

The search bar defaults listing from their site, which appears to be ppc listings. When I did a search through my google bar, results were returned as they should be. If I used the search function directly through IE address box, I defaulted to their SE listings, and not MSN. If I went directly a SE site, all worked as it should.

I clicked through on several aff links. There were no redirects or overwrites that I've seen so far. I tested straigth aff and server side redirect links. Cookies remained unchanged and intact.

I received no alerts from my firewalls (got 2 going: software and hardware) that they were trying to send or receive out info. Just to check, I went to several web pages running running my sniffer program. There was no info requested or transferred to them.

I can't find anything about this program what could be construed as parasitic. In fact, it appears to be an attempt to block programs. It does come with an obvious uninstall link in the toolbar. Haven't tried it yet, since I want to run it for a bit yet and hopefully see what it actually does with parasite detection.

If they are doing anything sneaky, I sure can't find it. Looks like a good thing if it really does detect parasites.

When I get any info on the parasite detection capabilities, I'll pass the info along.

Thanks BLFH ... this was very informative in itself. If it can detect drive by installs and thwarts them, it's not a bad trade off for their PPC search form. Not that I would use their search .. but not a bad trade off.

Looking forward to hearing what your end study results say.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Well..never came across a drive to test it on. But after serveral hours of use today, my browser slowed wwwwaayyyy down. Even just launching. Page loads took forever.... I used the uninstall feature that came with it. Uninstalled in less than a sec. My browser also working again just fine afterwards.

ABW Ambassador
    ClockSync (WHENU) driveby install: http://members.fortunecity.com/newye...ellison11.html

"enjoy"

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

Ok, reinstalled. I got a gator download. It blocked the download when I had the popup block feature turned on, because the download is run through the pop. When I allowed the pop up, it did not block the gator download.

But the program is seriously effecting the performance of IE for me at least. At least they have a legitimate uninstall.

BLFH does it again. She's down thick and dirty with the scum of the commission pirating thieves. And where's the applause for her braveness?

Thank you BLFH!!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 120 DAYS ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW ~ DATAFEED AVAILABLE IN FORUM
    Join our program through CJ now!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Andy at TigerDirect should sent BLFH a case of "mouse rubbers' as she surfs the popup hellholes passing as legit affiliate sites. The cream of the affiliate world always rises to the top as the bottom feeders seek to suckup the sledge at the bottom near the commission drain hole.

The networks never ever have applauded the likes of BLFH for running legit value add web sites. They are too busy catering to the needs of the bottom feeders and the professional thieves in their ranks. We honor her presence and contributions at ABW, which is less than a year old.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

awww shucks. What nice things to say. We got us a couple of gentlemen around here.

quote:
    Andy at TigerDirect should sent BLFH a case of "mouse rubbers' as she surfs the popup hellholes passing as legit affiliate sites.

A testing computer would be more helpful.

quote:
    the likes of BLFH for running legit value add web sites.

The value of some of my sites is questionable. But thanks for the assumptation anyway....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm sure if TigerDirect's Andy reads this a nice donation computer will be on it's way to the Cajun Queen's doorstep. After all he needs ammo for his BHO classaction law suit and nobody does impartial testing better than BLFH. Just ask the networks and the BHO perps who's results they fear the most.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

awww BLFH is blushing.... but I'm right! You ARE the best!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread