Just going through new applications to our CJ affiliate program and found this company trying to apply: www.180solutions.com It took some hunting before I confirmed that they are dealing in Parasiteware. They are very non-specific with their site description and currently have Commission Junction's highest rating. Here is an excerpt from their website:

" What is a Distribution Partner?
    We own the largest and easiest to use Comparison Shopping Network ever created, now with over 14 million users. The majority of our distribution comes by partnering with developers and providers of widely distributed, consumer-oriented software. By partnering with software providers, and bundling our n-CASE software (just over 100k in size) with other downloadable software applications, we provide our Distribution Partners with a critical revenue stream.

When bundled with other software products, we don't charge the user for our software - and instead offer it to the consumer for free to install if they desire (a $4.99 value). Once installed, we provide the user with contextually based shopping alternatives which then generate money for us based on our partnerships with the comparison shopping sources. We can then either share with you a percentage of the revenue generated from your users, or pay you a flat fee per install, whichever you prefer.

Our experience has shown that our software provides a valuable service to the end-user, and equally important it creates a new and vital revenue stream for our distribution partners.

If you are ready to become a Distribution Partner of the largest comparison-shopping network ever created, click below to contact us now."

Hello a2zDeals,

Thanks for the heads up.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

I know that they have been discussed here awhile ago but I thought that it bore repeating since they are obviously actively marketing in CJ

I also found this merchant applying for our program: http://www.newpathways.1afm.com/ Just a small time site but when you go to the site a Gator download pops up. Then the site tries to sell you a scheme to make $3,000 from home each week, no doubt by using the same parasiteware scheme.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The real problem with these rogue affiliate commission whores is they are multiplying like rats in a sewer. I tell you the whole 'incent" field is rife with con-men and thieves. The site stickiness you feel from visiting these popup hell holes comes from the leftovers when they try a rape your computer. Come on networks ...do you really think you can enforce a Code of Conduct when you refuse to publish a list of "incent" affiliates and alert merchants to those who install BHO's.

The 3rd world networks are full of these drive-by install affiliates posing as merchants for click or lead fees. Then you even have the major BHO thieves opporating out of BeFree and LS who require constant monitoring for ID# swapping and cookie overwrites.

Get real and just bann "incent/loyality" affiliate marketing of any kind and ALL the problems with BHO's- theftware -spyware and any new forms of commission stealing will completely dissappear. Sure some legit affiliates fall within this bann but they are being driven out of business or have to join the ranks of the darkside. I so sick and tire of the time and web ink devoted to policing this group of rogue affiliates who refuse to just compete fairly. The all are in the "tricks for clicks" bag playing into the hands of pure play advertisers and network greed mongers.

After they infect a system with their crap and get booted out of that merchant's program their BHO's still overwrite ID# or perform redirects to other uninformed merchants. Basically this practice, condoned and automated by the networks till ABWers caught them red handed stealing commissions and hijacking traffic, has left 400 million infected systems in their wake.

I can no longer consider a click at EcomCity will ever be properly tracked to it's destination on these 400 million systems and the 1000's of new installs everyday. Honest merchants like TigerDirect are also neutered by the preditory advertising of their competitors carried by these BHO installs.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I mentioned these same people here

They wanted to distribute their comparison shopping app with my software.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I just received an application and rejected 180solutions.com as a publisher, as well. They signed up with epipo.com also. A visit to that website showed a message saying that some of the epipo "SurfPartners" *may* get restitution as described by the Washington Atty General.

Ay yi yi.

But it was my first time personally rejecting a parasite! What a feeling...

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268

Just recieved the first sale from these guys - that's how I found em. Hasta lavista baby!!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    BAM BAM - those guys are history! Just terminated them from all the programs I am consulting with. Roadloans - Irvs Luggage -Executive Essentials.

In addition to being parasites - merchants beware - they will ruin your EPC. There are sending thousands of clicks per week with very little to no sales.

Patrice... I agree, it felt really good. Typically, when I am just suspicious I carefully word the reason for rejecting an affiliate, just in case they are legit and I was just being parasite paranoid. But in this case I blasted them (since there is no question in my mind.)

Has anyone complained to CJ?? Maybe several mercants should plan a call on the same day - just to be sure CJ gets the message loud and clear? What do you think? Who's game?

High Commission ~ High Integrity ~ Affiliate Centered Programs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.roadloans.com $100 commission
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (More Linda certified programs coming soon!)

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Program Optimization, Consulting & Recruiting
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

ABW Ambassador
    Amusing spin - free parasite download(a $4.99 value).

Good heds up on this one, but unfortunately they ARE multiplying.

quote:

Way to Go Pat!

you get my dancing nanas

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks to these merchants for listening to me rant on how these sleezebags will multiply til the networks get some balls. Police your merchants and affiliate DUPERs and publish for all honest merchants to see who uses BHO parasitic programs. I'm sure all the networks read and digested my A-G recommendations to add to a CoC. We and the AM's demand you publish all affiliates and merchants who use BHO downloads.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

It's always helpful to have as much information as possible. Sometimes we AMs don't even know someone's parasitic until it's brought to our attention on this board.

I had accepted an application from e2give.com, not knowing it was parasitic - but when I read in this forum that it was, I was able to quickly reject them. I wish I had enough time to go through all the signups, but until more time is created in the day, you guys here are one of the only ways I might catch some of these guys.

So thanks to all of you who bring sites like this out in the open.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    A big thank you to all the merchants who are rejecting there parasites, and to Mike for being so vocal about it.

Now, how about we develop some soft of system where the parasites CJ AID is announced, so we can hunt down which other merchants they are using (via SE's) and inform those merchants and ask them to take action?

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

I just rejected them out of our program, thanks for the heads up.

Daniel Fink
    Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    FreeDebtConsolidation.com
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com
    $7.5 Million paid to affiliates last year
    Highest Converting app on the Net!
    Private Forum at ABW

These guys had worked there way into our program on Shareasale. I just whacked them out tonight.

I had a conversation with a rep there and what they offered sounded good at first. If I understand it correctly, a comparison shopping service that would draw people to my site by popping up our site based on specified keywords and the URL of my competitors. Over time, as thoughts of this service rolled around in my skull the whole idea started to sound too good, so I checked them out here. Thanks for the post.

So, if I have it right, the alleged offense of this company is that the software a user downloads to use their service will overwrite legitimate affiliate cookies. Therefore, affiliates responsible for providing the click that closes the deal will not get credit for the sale. Credit will go to, in this case, 180Solutions. I don't like the way that scenario plays.

Thinking about this service from the merchant perspective leaves me with too many questions. 180Solutions will pop-up my site when a customer visits one of our competitors sites. Do I really want to give credit to 180Solutions just because in the process of shopping around my customer visited a competitor's website. Our site is the most heavily trafficked in our little niche space. If they find one of our competitors, and are shopping around, they'll find us. I assume our customers do shop around. Is it worth offering commission for traffic I probably would have received anyway? Also, we hit the ppc's pretty hard. Do I really want to give credit to 180Solutions just because they entered a keyword related to my site into a search engine? How did they help close the sale?

Does this service only get credited if the customer clicks on the pop-up, or do they get credit just for displaying the pop-up? Too many questions... too confusing.

Anyone want to offer me a glass of clarity here? I'm trying to better understand the intricacies of the Parasiteware issue with this in my face example.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

for what I have read here,

they will overwrite your own URL, even the user type in your domain name.

way to go Urban!

bug spray sure works! lol...

"God Bless the United States Arm Forces"

Thank god for them protecting us and live our life safely in a daily basis!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    After viewing their nCase demo, I noticed that ecampus.com is one of their advertisers. Their demo, clearly imo, violates the infamous "code of conduct". They basically are telling potential clients that they are diverting traffic from other sites.

I wonder when cj is goig to actually follow through with their rhetoric?

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

Just FYI on this. I contacted CJ when I found that they are STILL allowing 180Solutions and, get this, WHENU(!) to run their affilaite programs through CJ. Here is my letter to them:

Hello!

I am wondering why CJ continues to host known parasiteware users such as 180Solutions.com and WhenU.com? These companies encourage their users to download software that will intercept the commissions of purchases the user makes at other sites.

CJ's own policies forbid websites from using this technology yet many of these sites are still participating in your services. Most notably WhenU.com, one of the most prolific parasiteware users on the internet.

Please explain.

Here is their response:

Hi, Commission Junction has reviewed the companies you mentioned and have found them to be in compliance with their contract and Commission Junction standards and guidelines. If there are any other questions I can answer for you please let me know.

Regards,
    ARK

And affiliates continue to wonder where all their commissions are going............

Patrice wrote:
    quote:

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Parasites < Patrice going after them!

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread