Wasn't sure where to post this, but had to share this with you all. One of our IT guys sat down at a content editor's terminal and found 144, yes that's one hundred forty-four, spyware/parasite programs on his terminal. He'll be spending the better part of the morning cleaning house.

Geez.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Gee, and I thought my daughter had a lot on hers!
    She keeps getting gator drivebys, but can't seem to pin down where they are coming from.
    Thought the Xupiter days were done, but now she keeps getting IGetNet or something.
    And she certainly did not "agree" to download any of this stuff! She is 17 and I have made her well aware of the issues!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

UPDATE
    The IT guy used another piece of software to locate an additional 39 pieces of spyware/parasiteware.

Current tally - 183.

Could be a long day!

Karl Smith

Sounds like he found some good programs to help identify them. Care to post the software he used?

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Scott:
    Adaware and Spysweeper.

Karl Smith

ABW Ambassador
    How many of those "spywares" were affiliate cookies?

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

Wayne:
    Will have to check on that.

Karl Smith

Wayne is on to something there...

Fred

"Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor: People are always available for work in the past tense."

I ran adaware and it identified 240-something cookies. Some were from CJ, LinkShare, Befree, hitbox etc. Those really didn't concern me.

The only one it found that I don't like is that darn comet cursor. I kill it every now and then, but it keeps coming back from the dead.

I guess that is what I get for visiting some of our "newbie" affiliate sites...

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

I did a little checking. To the best of my admittedly challenged brain's ability, it looks like there were about 40+ actual programs and a hundred-plus unwanted cookies.

Karl Smith

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Blasted Ad-Aware calls our TRACKING COOKIES "data miners" and lists them for removal!

Every time I run that thing now, I have to put all the affiliate cookies into the Ignore List. My list is about 80 cookies long by now. (That also includes the cookies from popup places, that are used to keep their systems from showing me the same ad, or a cookie on every page.)

Chances are that there were very few cookies in there that you really wouldn't want if you examined what they were. Ad-Aware's making a hash out of cookie durations for everyone that just okays its suggestions or doesn't recognize the "signatures" of affiliate program cookies (qksrv, linksynergy, etc.)

~Revenue is King

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    Some were from CJ, LinkShare, Befree, hitbox etc. Those really didn't concern me.

It is a concern to affiliates. Every adware/spyware removal program I've tried lists network cookies as well.

It's a double edge sword for us. We can try to promote parasite awareness and removal, but in doing so we are also effectively wiping out our cookies! The networks have done nothing to combat the conception that their cookies are not spyware. They are being cleaned by these programs and blocked by many other types of software.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH:
    It is a concern to affiliates. Every adware/spyware removal program I've tried lists network cookies as well.

Didn't think of that.

It seems that a better distinction should be made between "parasites" and "tracking cookies" inside the software. It should have a better explanation of what these cookies really do and the consequences of removing them.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

ABW Ambassador
    I am willing to bet my pay that the average consumer CANNOT tell the difference. As far as they are concerned the more "spyware" that is found on their system, the better the defense system is working.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

ABW Ambassador
    Let me add this while I am here.

Consumers that routinely delete cookies are going to do it no matter what. This isn't a huge deal since the majority of purchases take place during the session. Some consumers are extremely privacy conscious, most of them are not.

The real threat comes when a large company decides to take up the gauntlet and utilize a solution like Ad-Aware much like they have adopted pop-up blockers as a value add, i.e. Amazon's Alexa, AOL or Earthlink.

As I have said before, there are other threats out there that are just as or potentially more dangerous to affiliate marketers then parasitic software.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

I tend to agree. Here are my views:

1) I think its fine that it deletes all cookies on my system I use my own site so obviously I will get recookied.

2) Yes we may lose the cookies on users systems but most sales are at that moment not months later.

3) In the long run wouldnt a user return to your site anyways to make a purchase?

4) Perhaps promotion of Ad Aware products on our sites will gaint he trust of the users that we are teaching them how to remove spyware and at the same time build a relationship so the customer decides to shop more with your site.

Well just ideas... hope everyone is having a great month. The NYTimes had an article that retail sales are up so I am hoping internet sales follow that path too

Take it easy...

ABW Ambassador
    I had a TON of spyware programs, and a few weeks ago , I was constantly getting automatic downloads, NOT EVEN drive-by downloads !

With the help of doxdesk, ad aware, a lot of patience, and installing ALL available IE and windows security updates , I was able to manually remove most of it from the windows registry.

"Something" scummy is still on this machine , and I gave up trying to figure out what it is , as a lot of the previous programs have been overwritten by empty files , etc.

For the life of me, I can't find what the beast is that is still breathing on my PC and trying to come back to life .

On occassion , whatever this thing is , it's attempting to download more crap , but the windows security certificate pop-up warning is acting as my guardian angel . Most of the attempted downloads have had WhenU's ugly name on the security certificate .

My stomache turns when I get these pop-up and windows prompts me to :

"Always trust content from WhenU "?

Yeah, okay .. When PIGS FLY and HELL FREEZES OVER !

Did you read the PC Magazine special on Scumware. I believe it was last month's issue. They did a lot of tests to figure out which programs remove which scumware programs (etc.). They found that each different removal program had it's own specialty at removing specific scumware programs. I don't have the article, but I would recommend trying a few different programs similar to Ad-aware.

Josh

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    My stomache turns when I get these pop-up and windows prompts me to :

"Always trust content from WhenU "?

Yeah, okay .. When PIGS FLY and HELL FREEZES OVER !

Yeah, that part always grabs me too!

Are you sure this is coming from a software remnant? I always thought they came from sites/ads trying to get me to accept a download! And over at another forum which also discusses CPM ads, I was reading some old threads that mentioned that certain adserving agencies were putting these things in their banner and pop rotations. As I recall, Advertising.com was flagged as a likely culprit.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    I'm 99.99% positive that they are coming from a software remnant. Most of the time it's on start-up , or when the PC goes into sleep mode , and after I shake the mouse a bit to "wake it up" .

One of those parasites loaded some free scratch card thing on me, and that was operating as a start-up program, Whew... was that one a Beeeech to get rid of , I "think" what I have left is a piece of that , but I can't be sure .

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread