Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Aluria has a Prevention area to their software (to keep you from getting infected by spyware). Part of the Prevention area is the "Restricted Zone" which when turned on blocks access to the URL's on that list. There are over 4400 url's on this list. Below are some the the URL's I'm seeing on this list related to affiliate marketing:

affiliateclick.com
    affiliatefuel.com
    affiliateshop.com
    befree.com
    bfast.com
    bfast.nl
    cj.com
    cj.net
    clickbank.com
    clickbank.net
    clickxchange.com
    clickxchange.net
    clixgalore.com
    commissionjunction.com
    commission-junction.com
    commission-junction.de
    commission-junction.net
    commission-junction.nl
    darkblue.com
    fineclicks.com
    linkshare.com
    linksynergy.com
    onresponse.com
    qksrv.ocm
    qksrv.net
    shareasale.com
    valueclick.com
    valueclick.jp
    valueclick.ne.jp
    valueclick.net
    websponsors.com
    websponsors.net

I will be doing further testing to see whether or not these URL's being blocked has any effect on the affiliate cookie being set (for example does blocking qksrv cause the cookie not to be set since this happens at the qksrv site) or if it has any effect on how banners, etc may or may not be displayed on their sites (things beings served from the blocked domain list).

I also found some sites which you may be promoting that are blocked (just a couple of examples):

ebay.com
    dotster.com

Additionally, some some 3 party payment processors such as ibill.com are on the block list.

As well as the major PPCSE's: overture, ah-ha, knoodle....

And finally many web site stat companies such as sitemeter.com.

Like I said, there are over 4400 URL's on this list. I haven't even gotten to the IP block's yet. If you don't see a particular URL on the list and want to know if it is being blocked, post and I'll check. I'm sure I could have easily missed some.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Ms. B:

You are the Matlock of ABW! Wow, this is some scary stuff, to be sure.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Thank you Ms. B.

Unfortunately, it further demonstrates both the Network's and Affiliates' lack of relationship with the so called "Spyware blockers/cleaners."

Too bad someone couldn't make a call and just straighten it out.

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

ABW Ambassador
    ...refreshes thread too many times, must replace mouse with optical mouse from TD...

So any news? Any blocks? What a bizarre idea, what legal nightmare.

@ Fred: Well when a network rep basically says that they are spyware....

Chet...give a gal a break. I only posted that list an hour ago. I had to eat some lunch. You know how Matlock loves to eat. I do know that the blocking feature of the software does work. I have seen it work for some sites not on the list above. When I check things out for sites specificly above, I'll post here.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Does it block the major P2P networks, download sites and BHO's as these are the main sources for getting infected with spywarez??

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Jamie posted this today 7/25 on the H.O. board:

------------------------------------------
    Hello everyone,

I promised to post today so I didnt' want to let that pass.

I believe we have come up with a WONDERFUL solution to this entire problem. I am waiting for Ken (our lead programmer) to write back with the thumbs up on our changes and then I'm coming in to post on the "NEW AND IMPROVED" Spyware Eliminator. This version will TOTALLY protect the affiliate and even goes so far as to help in educating consumers about affiliate marketing.

If you'll be so kind as to just give me a little bit more time I'll come in and tell you exactly what we are doing. I just want to be sure the team is going to be able to pull this off. It's REALLY cool!!

I'm not going to list all the cookies and all that right now simply because after this change goes live it will become a non issue

warmly,

jamie@aluriasoftware.com
    407-833-8743

Interesting she did not post to the heated midnight cafe post hear on ABW about Aluria - as she promised!

This better be really, really good!

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing www.5StarAffiliatePrograms.com: DentalPlans|Irv's Luggage|Executive Essentials|IntellicontactPro|zZounds|Roadloans

Ms. B,

You said: "If you don't see a particular URL on the list and want to know if it is being blocked, post and I'll check."

Does it block their OWN affiliate cookies for THEIR affiliate program???

Or just EVERYONE ELSE'S AFFILIATE COOKIES???

Representing www.5StarAffiliatePrograms.com: DentalPlans|Irv's Luggage|Executive Essentials|IntellicontactPro|zZounds|Roadloans

Ok, here is what I'm seeing so far. With the Prevention Restricted zones turned on I am seeing CJ, BF, and LS cookies being blocked. That is they are NOT being set at all when a merchant's link is clicked. This is very limited testing so far. I went to Mike's site and clicked one merchant reprsenting each network...SportsFanFare, Overstock, and TigerDirect. The merchant cookie was set however.

I did see some apparent problems with the loading of images etc associated with BF only. It blocked images from TigerDirect and also the click through to TigerDirect (got a page can not be displayed). This seemed to be on the first page load with a new browser window. If I went back to the page or refreshed I was able to get images (more or less) and get to the TD site.

The most absurd thing was that I get a totally blank page if I go to cj.com. DUH! Should really just be merchants and affs going there. I could get to Linkshare, but the page is totally screwed up and the login in box is gone. Befree seems to be ok since the login is a subdomain.

Mike, I can find NO P2P url's blocked on their list. You are correct that these are one of the biggest sources for spreading spyware/adware/parasiteware. I can get to cnet and zdnet just fine. Neither of these sites are on their list.

As far as BHO's go. There are some on the list: bonzibuddy, ebates, gator, shopathomeselect, whenu. However, I WAS able to access each of these sites. An interesting not about Whenu. I'm still getting their popups, but sometimes with not graphic in the pop (not all the time). And the long, skinny pop up from WhenU I can now NOT close with the x button on the pop.

This is looking like a far from affiliate friendly piece of software IMO. It is completely blocking network cookies from even being set. I suppose what's not set can't be stolen....???? It will also keep you from being able to log into at least 2 of the major networks. However, I can still access major parasite sites. I have not tested the BHO blocking feature to see if that really works or not yet.

Personally, I would actually promote the parasite's before I promoted this product. At least some cookies (ie sales) squeak by the parasites thanks to some vigilant merchants and changes in the way the parasites operate. EVERY SINGLE major network cookie gets nuked with this.

I have some video and screenshots I'll post for emphasis. I think I'll have to upload the video to my own server..think there must be a file limit here for uploads.

Linda,

Cross posted with you. No it does not block their own cookie.

As far as Jamie's post..I sure hope it's true. But given several things I've seen and heard from them, I will believe it when I see it and what those changes actually are. I will also be looking to see if the software already out there updates with these changes or not.

It is my understanding from Jamie's posts that she doesn't intend to post here any longer. So I'm not surprised we did not see anything here. I will also say that the day after all those posts here and I got the full version, immediately after downloading the application the first place I went to was the Restricted Zone area. The first 2 sites I saw listed for blocking were ABW's Chat and doxdesk. After turning blocking on, I was not able to access either of those sites. The next day, the list had magically updated itself and those site's were no longer blocked. I'm still scratching my head as to how those sites were removed from the list since I had not allowed Aluria to access past my firewall.

A thought came to mind with this part

quote:
    I went to was the Restricted Zone area. The first 2 sites I saw listed for blocking were ABW's Chat and doxdesk.

This is just a scenery going on in my brain hmmmmmm....

So the user download this software that suppose to block the spyware etc. and blocking the place where user can have more information on what's going on to the Cyberworld that can damage their pc and personal information!

And then you'll read Networks are being named spyware and they agree!

What is going on???

You don't block a place where user can get information and be more aware of this spyware and other issue!

I can't wait to see the kind of excuse people give!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Jaimie posted this on the H.O. board today.

"We are also looking into some of the websites we block in our prevention tool. I want to make sure we are not injuring affiliates there either. But that might take a bit longer. But I believe we can do it."

Yesterday she said: "This version will TOTALLY protect the affiliate."

I feel like I keep hearing different stories.

quote:
    Nova said:
    What is going on???

I'd have to say politics?

quote:
    Linda said:
    Jaimie posted this on the H.O. board today.

"We are also looking into some of the websites we block in our prevention tool. I want to make sure we are not injuring affiliates there either. But that might take a bit longer. But I believe we can do it."

I don't see why it would hard for them to do technically. It seems that what their software is doing is adding the sites on their list the the Restricted Sites area in IE preference (under Security). So it appears it is just a matter of them updating their list of sites. I've already seen that they can do that quite easily.

Only time will tell I suppose. And thanks for the updates she is posting Linda. I just get totally lost trying to find threads over there. Of course, I've been known to lose my car in a parking lot also.

I say, I don't mind being called "whiner" and "unprofessional",

If being quiet and professional is stealing someone elses hardwork, I rather be the whiner and unprofessional!

I guess other professional that has an ethical way of life will have to work on this people called professional (CON) to teach them that they are only given one chance to live and they are doing it in the wrong way!

(which will take them to hell the way they are treating people that work for them so they can have their expensive wine and caviar with our expense! )

I wonder what kind of lies and excuses we are going to hear this time?

Oh don't worry we are for affiliate (keep working and we take the cash for you!)
    and we know ethics and moral!
    YAH RIGHT!

I also don't speak english HUH!

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ LOUIS!!!!!!

I am in the pissy mood now!

Nova,

Who called you unprofessional and a whiner? Those things you aren't. You just say how you honestly feel about things.

quote:
    Who called you unprofessional and a whiner?

The people that say's nothing is wrong with taking our commissions!

Figure!

I wonder what would happen if the table turn?

Would be called pro then? lol...

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread