not only are these guys non-compliant clearly messaging off affiliate redirects but also they are doing drive by installs. They also have all the merchants opposed to parasites (Sea Eagle, JC Whitney, etc.).

Agreed ... see http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=7386049614

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    not only are these guys non-compliant clearly messaging off affiliate redirects but also they are doing drive by installs.

Is one worse than the other? The COC needs to enforce "ALL ASPECTS" of the addendum if they are going to enforce it at all, not just the ones "who are really bad because they break two conditions".

COC - Wake Up.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Agreed Poon.

pturbo..seems to be a rash of this lately. Also see http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...4&m=8766044804 which is a TopMoxie app. These guys hide that they have an app behind their registration. Also seeing redirects off of affiliate links. And again some of the same merchants on their list also. These guys just keep sneaking in. But they do get caught.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

It's getting close to holiday shopping time. We'll probably start seeing every one of the TopMoxie apps start having "glitches" one by one. At least this year we know to expect it and can be ready to send proof to the networks and merchants as soon as it starts on each one of them.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    B said "These guys just keep sneaking in. But they do get caught."

Pointspassport AKA Aspire - is STILL an active CJ publisher. Just the few of us that read this post canned them. They are not CAUGHT and they are still up to no good!

Yes we are catching SOME of them and exposing them here for the FEW ABW merchants who read these posts, but if the NETWORKS are not canning them they are still doing business with HUNDREDS of other merchants that don't know what's going on.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    By "caught" I meant they are now on the radar.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    but if the NETWORKS are not canning them they are still doing business with HUNDREDS of other merchants that don't know what's going on

It's more than a downright shame isn't it! If the networks are to busy to enforce the coc or inform merchants of affiliates who utilize parasitic policies or too busy to even know who all is parasitic I can only say it's time for a change and intervention by other authorities.

I'm sure the networks get tired of hearing the flack regarding them being so called trusted third parties but the facts seem clear.

They have passed responsibilities regarding detection and enforcement of parasitic practices and "determining if it is acceptable or not to merchants" were they do not belong while they line their pockets with cash, continue with non enforcement and have non existant to terrible procedures to really deal detect or deal with the problems being caused by COC violations.

These facts don't add up! How is it that Networks have a COC in place if they are going to allow merchants to decide if they can partner with parasites and allow diversions of monies that effect both consumers and affiliates? This policy is more than inconsitant.

It seems they have not been able to even reliably idenitify parasites and others with unscroupulous players either (ShOps.com especially comes into mind here).

I have made numerous request on this board regarding the lack of procedures for even filing a coc violation and requested representation by the COC to come here and discuss the issues.... All to no avail.

Someone PM'd me asking for a copy of the COC. I went to two networks and neither of them have any documentation or a link up to the COC terms on their site that I could find. I mean really - it appears as the mindset is
    *** No discussion of the policy
    *** No links to the policy
    *** No formalized methods to file complaints against the policy
    *** No formalized review of complaints that may have been filed with a network - you're suppose to file a claim with each partner of the COC
    *** No "real communication" regarding compliants filed is done. They wont tell you what actions they take if any and it seems their are no documented reprecussions that I'm aware of for being in violation - other than you get another get out of jail free card for another 60 days.
    *** Continued violations and non enforcement

Do I really need to continue? It's a bad frikin joke!

I would assume their are many reputable merchants out there whos name, reputation and stock prices will eventually be effected by this issue. Just as their was a dotcom bust with many technology related companies their will evenually be a bubble burst that will negatively impact online retail sales as well.

Deciet, trickery and diversion of monies from both consumers and affiliates should not be the normal operating procedures for affiliate related marketing - It is right now!

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

quote:
    Originally posted by pturbo:
    not only are these guys non-compliant clearly messaging off affiliate redirects but also they are doing drive by installs. They also have all the merchants opposed to parasites (Sea Eagle, JC Whitney, etc.).

Pot calls Kettle black.... lol too funny

Vicki

If you lose respect for the squirrels
    you will have problems during the running... eds

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

Dear Affiliates,

I have just learned of pointsPassport.com and have immediately dumped them from my program. They have not had any sales yet, so I am very thankful to Gearshopper for letting me know before they were able to swipe any commissions. They had just joined several days before.

I have asked CJ many times to allow merchants to have check box to automatically reject anybody using plugins, but my requests have fallen on deaf ears.

John Hoge
    SeaEagle.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks John and to gearshopper for giving you a heads up as well.

John there are more and more Affiliate Managers who are getting disturbed by the constant leaks of parasitic partners getting into their programs where they don't want them.

I'd love to see all the AM's who are dedicated to being parasite free get together and collectively lobby for changes that would make being parasite free in your programs realistic.

Perhaps with a group of you acting together you can push for positive changes that would better enable this.

Linda wrote:
    quote:
    It's getting close to holiday shopping time. We'll probably start seeing every one of the TopMoxie apps start having "glitches" one by one.
    Well, it sounds like TopMoxie is one big piece of cr@p when it comes to whoever wrote the program, as it always seems to be "acting up."

Must be some really sloppy coding in that program...

Andy

Happymoon,

I attended the November summit of all the affiliate networks in NYC last year and put forward the idea of a no-parasite checkbox before the heads of CJ, BeFree, and LinkShare.

.. And the answer was... we'll think about it or something like that. There is a school of thought that eBates represents the future and that SEOs and other affiliates that actually earn their commission are fading as the web gets more sophisticated. I hope this isn't true as I need good affiliates to sell my product, but I think that all the big programs are betting on incentive sites and politely telling the rest of the affiliate community that they are, well, unimportant.

Andy I beg to differ from you here.
    quote:
    Well, it sounds like TopMoxie is one big piece of cr@p when it comes to whoever wrote the program, as it always seems to be "acting up."

It is not only the program that is a load of cr@p it is the programer and the people who paid him to write it.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

@ Gordon:
    quote:
    It is not only the program that is a load of cr@p it is the programer and the people who paid him to write it.
    I just assumed everyone understood that already, but thanks for the clarification.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Hi John,

Have you ever considered taking Sea Eagle "in house" at all? I suppose there are goods and bads to to doing something like that, but in-house programs at least have the benefit of more control of your program and no % cut to CJ.

Jim

Jim,

Aside from the parasite issue, we're pretty happy with CJ at this point. Almost all of the affiliates we have came from their network. Finding the parasites takes some work, but it is more an irritation than anything else. We almost always find them before they are able to steal any comissions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jhoge ...I tried to help expand on your one check box idea to keep BHO's from joining a parasite free merchant program.

*MERCHANT: A licensed business who collects money for products or services and takes responsibility for the delivery of the same to their customer. Merchants agree to pay all commissions derived by honest affiliate sales activity in a timely manner and devulge any activities that negate referral commissions. Those entities who agree to pay commissions on the [insert network name] network trackable actions, who are not involved in delivering a billable product or service, will be clearly marked as "special class merchants" during the affiliate signup process.

AFFILIATE: An easily identifiable hosted domain who seeks commissions for driving targeted traffic to [insert network name] merchants using trackable affiliate coded links assigned to them. In order to qualify for a commission an affiliate has to originate the trackable click from their own authorized domain or from an e-mail marketing piece identifying their authorized domain.

Part 2: Merchant must divulge in their profile if they use any of the following diversion tactics:

a] Whether the merchant uses a 800# call center that either acts as an affiliate or works on a commission basis without recording original referral ID# for commission credits.

b] Third party gift certificate or gift registry services, who themselves are earning affiliate commissions by swapping their ID# with original referrers.

c] This merchant selectively approves and works with "incent" and reward affiliates.

d] The merchant's number of return cookie days and whether they are disabled after the first sale. ( no need to single out CJ for this request)

e] This merchant has passed all network test purchase transactions done on a random basis at least once a month.

f] Some sections of this merchant's website contain non-commissionable products or links to partner sites that do not track commissionable sales.

g] This is a special class merchant who offers commissions based upon recruiting customers for outside parties or offers loyality shopping incentives.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread