Does anyone know an average % of sales parasites steal from us?

This just a guest!

Out of I'll say 100 clicks you might get one sales (That's a big maybe)!

And that's just me being as sweet as I can be!

Let say out 10% of 100 click through, buys! I guess we could be missing 9% out of that 10%

But of course it's almost six in the morning here and I am about Kaput!

Don't take my word! It's just my observation.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

I was wondering about this as well.
    Any more guesses?

added: Lets say I got 100 sales, how much could I have?
    ( Amazon sales)

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

ABW Ambassador
    No one has a clue, thats a problem. A past thread about this, people guessed from 1% - 35%.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    It is difficult or impossible to know what percentage of our sales are stolen; we only know that it happens. But here's a clue that's more than just speculation ...

When I was preparing my presentation for the New York summit meeting, a number of affiliates helped with background research by setting up detection scripts to sample traffic on an assortment of sites. It was not a study that would satisfy any formal scientific committee, but the total sample covered several hundred thousand visits. The average was around 10% - 15% but some people found that as many as one-fifth of their site visitors were infected by assorted programs that would be capable of either overwriting affiliate links directly, or else diverting the customer in other ways.

That was last year. I don't know what such a study would reveal today, but I highly doubt that the percentage of infected computers has gone down.

There is less direct overwriting of affiliate links these days than this time last year, but other methods of diverting the customer seem stronger than ever. The whole thing is still a mess.

Suggestion: The parasite detection script at http://doxdesk.com/ is a useful tool if you're interested in telling your site visitors more about the issues.

Elisabeth Archambault

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I would think the only way to find out is to have a Merchant work with the detection team, if they can set up adequate tracking then they could measure the number of sales stolen, but you've got to find a merchant willing to set it all up and then suffer the wrath (blanket targeting) of WhenU and co when they find out they've been duped..

Cheers

Chris

Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

All Programs :- Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com : Netmagazines.com : Pierced Body : Irish Photo Shop : DateCam.com : Vegas Experts

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope

ABW Ambassador
    My guess is the networks know but I somehow doubt they will show up in here and volunteer the information.

It seems they could easily detect when a cookie from the same machine is re-written after a very short period of time.

I for one would favor a block on machine specific cookies being overwritten for say a period of 10 minutes which would nullify most of the parasites ability to blantently interfere and take credit for our sales efforts.

We work hard on our sites to provide effective marketing for our customers and merchants, we work hard to build link relationships, many of us pay ppc to suppliment our marketing, and all of us have hosting related costs as well.

The fact that networks and merchants allow all of our work to be undermined and have our earnings pulled out right from under our feet is more than shamefull.

It's one thing when a parasite slips into a merchants program but it's completely different when the networks and merchants enter relationships and promote these partnerships with full knowledge that diversion can and will occur.

While some merchants may claim ignorance to the issues, the networks surely can't and I firmly believe that most of the merchants know
    it too. What does that tell you?

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

Well, I am pretty sure somewhere in here Todd has stated that parasites only steal from us a little bit. How could he even imply such a thing unless he is privy to information on the topic?

Now, I believe it was quite a while that he said or implied that. Wonder how much they steal now if it was only a little bit then.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

I thought this was an interesting Blast from the Past:

Regarding Scumware: An open letter to Todd Crawford and CJ

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As Andy pointed out CJ and the other networks incubated, enabled, auto-fed incent offerings and pocketed their theftware fencing fee since June 2001. What has changed since then? Just more and more devious BHO's appear and the likes of eBates TopMoxie powered BHO get awarded as the model for all affiliates to follow.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I would estimate it to be AT LEAST 10%, and wouldn't be surprised to learn it was more than that.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Thanks all.
    That's sad, I wish I didn't knew (better yet, had to know)

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

ABW Ambassador
    That "Blast from the Past" was written 21 months ago.

Sad, sad, sad how much of it is still true.

Elisabeth Archambault

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread