2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well folks I think I got to the source of my system feeding "contextual" and random Ads not tagged by Ad-aware or SpyBot R&D or Norton. Scary senerio as this one was a complete stealth BHO install via a "web bug". All the trappings of spyware data mining activity coupled with a Gator/Whenu mix of popups and redirects. Conspiracy theory buffs will love this one as it seems to love CJ links and going crazy on CJ's site like a home base. It popups delayed Ads to your typical Ad Whore monitizers paying Gator/WhenU/DoubleClick and others and browser access when clicking certain links from my Mall pages. One of the culprets is www.OfferOptimizer.com

OfferOptimizerOverview:
    OfferOptimizer is committed to developing comprehensive, strategic solutions that meet the needs of our peer-to-peer technology partners.

OfferOptimizer' staff strives to increase a peer-to-peer networks revenue by offering Internet ad management solutions via our proprietary ad management software, OfferOptimizer™, a reliable, highly-scalable solution.

Leading peer-to-peer networks are using OfferOptimizer's products to make their Internet advertising work quicker, better, harder and smarter. The happy result is continued technical development of quality peer-to-peer software.

Consumer Support:

OfferOptimizer's provides technology to support a number of client based ad networks. For consumers who wish not to receive ads from our servers please review the terms and conditions of your peer-to-peer applications for uninstall procedures or visit www.download.com for guidance in selecting the appropriate ad blocker for you.

The lies begin to unravel as this drive-by hidden install or "web bug" install from some desperate CJ merchant's site exit/entry popup, also gets bundled with P2P copywrite theftware. I never ever downloaded any P2P file sharing programs and even unplugged my speakers months ago.

Further investigation revels what might be a member in Wayne's Gated Community and someone known by all the major Ad Whores and networks.

http://www.marketswitch.com/news/rel...oubleClick.htm .....

MarketSwitch is the global leader in Enterprise Marketing Optimization and the sole provider of real-time, marketing optimization software for web, call center, and traditional outbound marketing. MarketSwitch employs true mathematical optimization to enable companies to maximize the profitability of their marketing campaigns across multiple customers, products, and channels, so they can meet their customers' needs while achieving their own financial goals and satisfying their real-world business constraints. Marketswitch customers are forward thinkers; they are companies seeking to make objective decisions that deliver immediate, step-function performance improvements. They are active in retail financial services, telecommunications, eCommerce, consulting and eServices industries, to name a few.

(reads like a Wayne/MrMerchant article)

excerpts ...MarketSwitch® Real Time Offer Optimizer™ Technology Supports DoubleClick's Ad Server
    Provides Marketers with Unprecedented Ability to Optimize the Deployment and Profitability of Web-based Ad Campaigns

Dulles, VA, May 2, 2000 - MarketSwitch®, the global leader in Marketing Optimization, today announced that its Real Time Offer Optimizer™ technology now operates with the DoubleClick Ad Server platform. For the first time, marketers can create and deploy optimized, real-time multi-offer campaigns that significantly improve the performance of conventional web-based advertising.

"Today's explosive online advertising growth poses many new challenges for publishers and merchants," explains Drew Eginton, Chairman and CEO of MarketSwitch. "One of them is to recognize the difference between marketing activity and true customer value optimization. By integrating with one of the leaders in online advertising, MarketSwitch has taken the steps necessary to enable businesses to dramatically improve the value of Internet advertising by determining, in real-time, the optimal offer for each inbound prospect while satisfying all necessary goals and constraints facing the business."

Web advertisers can select specific ads, from within an ad pool, to maximize impression, click-through, or conversion while also maximizing the overall profitability, or any user-defined goal, of the campaign. Advertisers also can track campaigns in real time and adjust the campaign strategy as new conditions arise, such as a failure to meet projected conversion or sales goals for a particular offering.

MarketSwitch's marketing optimization technology provides businesses with the decisioning infrastructure necessary to quickly implement optimized, multi-offer, multi-channel programs that meet the changing needs of today's consumer and earn a significantly higher return on marketing investments. The figure below shows how the MarketSwitch solution provides the link that has been missing in today's direct marketing model between the areas of data analytics and marketing automation. MarketSwitch optimization technology performs a similar role in the marketing space to that of i2 in the supply chain. MarketSwitch is the first company to deliver constraint-based marketing optimization.

The TRUE Suite is a cross-channel software solution that allows you to realize each customer's maximum value. It accomplishes this by using true mathematical optimization - a process invented by Marketswitch that balances customer insight with corporate goals and objectives to determine the most effective use of capital. The TRUE Suite consists of decisioning software applications dedicated to solving the large-scale marketing, pricing and revenue management challenges faced by B2C enterprises.

These guys with alliances to "web bug" data miners, drive-by hidden BHO installers, P2P network bundlers and web advertisers probably make toolsets for DoubleClick and ValueClick(BeFree).

Now I have to figure out how to uninstall this bugger so I can get my system back, cut of data mining within my secure merchant server admin areas, and keep those Friggin delayed popups from appearing which seem to be immune from sever Ad blocker programs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

OfferOptimizer is Mindset Interactive (more recently also known as BetterInternet), the guys behind the FavoriteMan and Transponder parasites. Probably the software you're talking about is a Transponder variant -

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Transponder.html

A HijackThis log would be interesting to see if you still have the parasite loaded.

I can't see the link to marketswitch (apart from the phrase 'Offer Optimizer'). Looks like server-side tracking software rather than client-side spyware AFAICS.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can't get to and www.doxdesk.com pages from my machine all evening Andrew to help reasearch this hidden bugger. Throws out cookie setting, datamining delayed pops and popunders with shitheal advertisers using WhenU/Gator/Trafficmarketplace or Double-Click campaigns. No obvious entries in my startup programs, Win application un-installs, Win.ini or startup registry area. Lots of times it pops up when testing my links thta open in a new window when closing the new windows. I'm sure some shanky desperate merchants use delayed pop under advertising to rake in some Ad Whore money but many of these seem contextual in nature.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Crap, you're right, one of my servers is down. Until the DNS propogates, try doxdesk.com without the www instead.

HijackThis should pick Transponder or FavoriteMan up if you have them. No startup entries, but they both do have BHOs - I know how much you love those. ;-)

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Can't get to and http://www.doxdesk.com pages from my machine all evening Andrew to help reasearch this hidden bugger. Throws out cookie setting, datamining delayed pops and popunders with shitheal advertisers using WhenU/Gator/Trafficmarketplace or Double-Click campaigns. No obvious entries in my startup programs, Win application un-installs, Win.ini or startup registry area. Lots of times it pops up when testing my links thta open in a new window when closing the new windows. I'm sure some shanky desperate merchants use delayed pop under advertising to rake in some Ad Whore money but many of these seem contextual in nature.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    I just got this driveby install removed. No PTP network or fileswapping crap on my computer, so I assume driveby install.

I found the bi.dll within the c:/windows folder (more common in the c:/windows/system folder).

Also, one other thing, I found another dll that was downloaded by this app call belt.dll (and associated belt.ini file.) Any idea what they do?

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    Mindset interactive, aadacom all the same pieces of crap.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,49960,00.html

Chet

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread