More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Perhaps this has been addressed before - I have not found it yet. Correct me if I am wrong here, but is this how the whole parasite-commission stealing works?

1. Parasiteware company joins an affiliate program that I, an affiliate also belong to.
    2. Parasiteware company installs their software in exchange for "goodies" and "freebies" to userX.
    3. UserX clicks on my website, but my affiliate link is altered and I don't get commission, but parasiteware co. does.

I understand that some adware "blankets over" ads with their own also, so no affiliate agreement is even needed.

So they have basically "stolen" my commission.

Crime #1 = theft. They stole my commission.

Crime #2 = Copyright violation - What the slimeware people are doing is using my copyright protected content to make money since my content brings the user to the ad. That would also apply to adware that "blankets over" my ads with their own.

This is class-action all the way I think.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

Affiliate Manager
    You are right and it sucks!!!
    BUT... unfortunately the courts look at everything in the technical aspects of everything. Since the scumbags aren't actually logging into your hosting account and literally changing your copyrighted HTML codes and what not then the courts won't do anything about it because technically your copyrighted material isn't being touched.

The people that download the parasiteware do so not knowing what they are doing. They don't know about the war that is going on. They just have no clue...or just don't care since it isn't effecting them any.

I am not a lawyer or anything and I could be wrong but this is what I am thinking and why no parasites have successfully been sued yet.

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

Mike:

Welcome to a long, complicated battle.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

They cannot steal links that you don't have.

The bottom line is to only affiliate with merchants that understand the problem. Boycott the others.

quote:
    The people that download the parasiteware do so not knowing what they are doing

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    3. UserX clicks on my website, but my affiliate link is altered and I don't get commission, but parasiteware co. does.

Generally speaking no. That is not how the bulk of the current parasites work. They never alter your links. They may redirect once the visitor is on the merchant site and overwrite your cookie or they may generate a popup ad on your site. But they don't alter your actual links in any way.

quote:
    I understand that some adware "blankets over" ads with their own also, so no affiliate agreement is even needed.

Not many of them do this anymore either. Still a couple floating around, but not too many.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Mike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Parasites! You will find that there is a wide area of disagreement over what is going on, legally speaking. As Webmasters, we don't want our content messed with in any way. The other side insists the content isn't being changed, just the way it's displayed on certain computers. Kind of like choosing default font sizes, desktop themes, etc.

Since everything is happening on the end user's computer, and nothing is actually happening on our sites, it's supposed to be OK. Of course, the content of the site IS being used for profit by a third party, which is a problem. We have to wait for legislation to catch up and protect us, in the meantime the war wages on!

Many sites are adding statements to their TOS that prohibit visitors from accessing their site if they have these software applications installed, and charge high fees for ads that cover ads on the site, or pop up while on the site itself.

Might not make much difference now, but it may someday, so it's not a bad idea to have it published.

You will learn a lot at ABW, if you have a few hours available to just read.

Andy

My niece and her husband are attornies that deal in internet legal issues like trademark and domain infringement - this may be in their area as well. We will be getting together over Thanksgiving. If you could, please give me as much information (links to sites) as possible - all of you know a lot more than me. You can email me at sakowski@cheqnet.net

I am thinking about emailing my merchants after the Christmas season asking them "Do you allow adware merchants into your program?". I think if we all hold the line and drop adware supporters, the adware-supporting merchants will only be left with sales to adware users and will be shut out from the rest. I have already sent a few inquiries out to new prospective merchants.

I have noticed that a lot more merchants do not give automatic approval of affiliate applications now then 6 mo ago when I started - maybe this is a good sign - they are reviewing sites more thoroughly.

BLFH, wouldn't the overwriting the cookie have the same effect as altering my link, just done "off my site" for the sake of legality?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread