My mom got this popup while "surfing the interweb" (she is a newbie) and asked me how to download and use this because she doesn't want people knowing all her business...

The popup said something like "important information from the publisher of this website - spyware has been detected on your machine!"

The clickthrough page:
    If you are seeing new toolbars in your browser , excessive popups, or your homepage has been switched, chances are that you are infected with an internet parasite. This is Serious. Why, because programs like this are more than a simple annoyance. Your privacy is being invaded. Spyware has the ability to install more software in your machine without your consent. What you are doing on your computer is being watched right now. There are companies that know you are looking at this page. They know what you typed to your family, friends and co-workers. They know what you are emailing to people. They watch your IMs. Hackers are watching to capture your credit card numbers, passwords, and other personal information.

The irony:
    The concerned publisher of the website tried to install GAIN on my machine before the popups started.

v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan

in the PhillyBurbs!
    You know things are bad when Mom is targeted!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Right now my wife is in the dog house. Seems she decided to sign up for a bunch of stuff, ranging from publishers clearing house, to lord knows what all....and of course, she couldn't remember her email, so she used mine...

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

As we age, it seems the roles reverse somewhere along the way. The adult kids now take care of the juvenile parents, and guide them in the proper direction. This "interweb" stuff is especially confusing to some parents.

As for the website trying to download Gain, well that's just a

Call the Exterminators! We've Got PARASITES!

ABW Ambassador
    Can’t tell you how many times I have had to go to my Moms house and close the little browser that says “You have a virus!”. Stops her dead in her browsing tracks every time.

At least we stay close.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread