ABW Ambassador
    The end is coming.

They just made a deal with opera that shows the very same google adsense ads that are on your site - in opera's ad window. A much better placement.

So strike another one for those who live off the content of others.

I am really bummed that google would take this tact. They could at least make this smart enough to not show an ad if the same adsense ad or any adsense ad is on the same page. But they don't even do this.

Don't tell me - it is just opera, hardly anyone uses opera. To heck with that. This is the begining of the end.

Write to google today and tell them no. No. No.

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Chez this is just another example why I've always preached against the "advertising mindset" bleeding everything they touch like leaches. The Ad whore mentality dictates you should never completely satisfy any objective in a advertising campaign. That is counter productive to the ease of selling more campaigns with smoke and mirror promises of better results.

Take the advertising mindset outlook for the search industry, and why they purposefully endeavor to sabotage that industry. Prior to PPCSE keyword bidding they had limited Ad space and no revenue for SE functions. Their spin to the SE crowd was to NOT HAVE relevant search results, since that would discourage additional searches and eliminate page views (Ad views). They hated Google for being focused upon relevant search results as that was counter productive to mass advertising. The Ad whores loved the MSN -AOL -Yahoo approach, which was conductive to their eyeball generation Ad budget draining plan. Targeted advertising is the spin, but more expensive advertising is the plan.

The Ad industry does not want the buyer to go from point A to B and be satisfied with a quick purchase. AM's, with a advertising mindset, DO NOT want affiliate commission-able traffic to immediately land on a high conversion product page forcing a commission. They want branding, browsers, bookmarks, pageviews and e-mail addresses for non-commission-able followup marketing. Quick in out shopping is not their game plan.

The incent BHO defeats most of this advertising mindset by ***** slapping the AM and the merchant with double dipping, no SE or pre-sell wasted effort and perpetual cookies. The only thing the pureplay AM likes about the BHO is they force all buyers into being shoppers by eliminating the landing page choices forcing shoppers to browse the site. They also swallow the REACH spin of having kidnapped shoppers and running their offers on competitors checkout lanes.

Well folks we need to cheer on every victory the consumers have over the Ad whores. Those AM's who wear a sales managers hat need our exposure to continue to focus our referrals to higher conversion pages. Even the ethical folks at Google refused to dilute the relevancy of their search results. Their Adsense program does use best practices of contextual targeting. Their Froogle site will be for fulfillment merchants only and the datafeed affiliates will eventually get their spammy listings whacked. Their obvious deal with Opera browser was because those Adsence Ads make sense to a company not wanting a bad user experience due to Ad whore mentality. Others who really care about the shoppers interests will follow suit.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Mike. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

But that has never stopped you from your soapbox.

Do you cut-n-paste this crap? Because it doesn't even make sense in context of the subject at hand.

Chet

Chet

Look on the bright side...

At least AdSense ads are static - which is a big improvement on those REALLY annoying flashing banners Opera usually serves. I thought most Opera users regard the ads as a necessary evil, since they're too mean to shell out not to have them.

About it being the thin end of the wedge...you could have a point there.

ABW Ambassador
    I could give a rats ass about someone's opera's experience.

I care that I have competing google ads now in a better placement than my own. Ads created by scanning my own pages and taking my content. Think whenu - but in a window above my site. Think Gator but built into the browser.

THAT IS THE ISSUE.

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jeeze ...the sky will not fall because of any Google activity. My point is Opera took the high road trusting Google's commitment to relevency. Overture -Knoodle -Looksmart -Findwhat were not their choice of contextual Ad providers. My relevency was explaining to all how the Ad whores will corrupt anything they touch....forcing Google into competing on the Ad revenue battlefield.

The Ad whores hate Google who has become the largest advertising base on the internet. Google pays those Ad whores nothing and it pisses them off. Only thing Google does is split some revenue with folks like Opera who have donned the advertising mindset cap.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    I could give a rats ass about someone's opera's experience.

Chet

I would have thought that someone's 'opera experience' (if Opera is the browser they're using) was very relevant to their overall browsing experience, and whether or not they're pre-disposed to click on anything on the page.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Chet's right.

Scum powered by Google is still scum!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Leader - exactly.

Basically every single new version of Opera running is Whenu/gator in a box. Even if you don't run adsense, there is now a competing ad in the upper right hand corner, being powered by your page's content.

I don't mind banners in opera, big deal, but they are directly using my content to create the context sensitive ad. That I have an issue with.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    My impression was that only the unregistered (free) version of Opera has Google ads. I'm considering simply banning all Opera browsers as long as they continue to feature Google ads on any browser. Just for a laugh, I asked Opera if they could suggest a way of banning only the browsers that are running ads in competition to my own instead of blocking all their users. (No reply from them or Google about my concerns.)

I looked at the logs of my book review site for the past couple of days. 1 out of every 850 visitors is using Opera. Blocking even this small percentage goes against the grain though it might come to that, especially if it helps in fighting the bigger threat.

Google's Adsense bot is currently spidering sites that Opera browsers find. It uses the content from your sites and mine to determine which ads to display in the Opera browsers. The big threat is the logical possibility that Microsoft will cut a deal with Google to run ads at the top of their browser. With that range of coverage of targeted ads, what is the rationale to offer the content provider the opportunity to run duplicate ads? Every website would be an adsense server, whether it wants to be or not unless it blocks the bot from spidering.

It's always something, isn't it?

Wayne

quote:
    Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    Every website would be an adsense server, whether it wants to be or not unless it blocks the bot from spidering.
    Yes, certainly the current partnership with the microscopic market share of Opera is merely a beta for more widespread deals. Blocking the bot will probably eventually result in either the bot ignoring robots.txt or Google putting up a Froogle banner instead to pull the income directly to Google.

This whole internet thing as far as making money for the small guy. Has become one big farce!
    Better get your day jobs back.

Why are you thinking small then? Think BIGGER.

What is the next big thing?

Google saw it. They are seeing it again with adsense.

Will the affiliate model be different 3 years from now? You had better believe it!

Look at Amazon... they let their affiliates offer a customized version of the Alexa toolbar that has your amazon ID built in! Now every affiliate can offer their own toolbar. (it does not overwrite others' cookies, though).

What is the next big thing? Perhaps we will all be promoting toolbars and downloads 3 years from now...

Ad-blockers for cell phones?

Perhaps, with all the parasites now, there is room for non-parasite affiliate programs to grow. As the problem gets worse, the non-parasite programs will become more and more appealing. They will grow bigger.

"This whole internet thing as far as making money for the small guy. Has become one big farce!
    Better get your day jobs back."

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Well as much money as Adsense is making me I won't complain

Jack Mitchell
    http://jacksretail.com

The whole AdSense equation will change when the first post-IPO quarterly report hits. Enjoy it while you can!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

I tend to think you are probably right Karl. Some here are reporting that they are doing very well .. you know it can't last long then.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') != -1 || navigator.appName.indexOf('Opera') != -1)
    {
    if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('7.2') != -1 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf('7.3') != -1)
    {
    OperaHeight=screen.availHeight - window.outerHeight
    if( OperaHeight > 95 || OperaHeight < 1)
    {
    top.location.replace("http://www.opera.com/buy/?do_not_use_Google_AdSense_at_my_site")
    alert ("Please Register Your Opera Browser")
    }
    }
    }

Cod, clever script, but I tried it on my registered Opera and it still redirected me. I can send you a screen shot if you want. I use the smallest icon size for the buttons, so maybe the window size doesn't match your check.

--Franklin

quote:
    Originally posted by -cod-:
    if(navigator...
    registered

Opera accounts for a whopping 1% of my traffic so it's no big deal. And in any case, I suspect that most of those have the "paid for" version because Opera users are pretty fanatical (in a nice way).

I guess though there's an interesting dilemma - as an AdWords customer more exposure is good. As an affiliate, someone else's ads on my page is bad. But either way I don't think I'm going to lose much sleep over it

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I love opera...I am fanatical. I did pay for my browser and I am proud of it.

You offer your content on the web for free...anything goes.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread