I was just invited to a private offer at LS today. I went to retreive a banner and this is what I found:

Does anyone know what the heck is going on here. I do know that the merchant is associated with ebates and I don't make any special effort to promote them. Is this something that assists ebates to overwrite the cookie or what?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    Ross-Simons.

Not only ebates, the next one is for iGive. I think it is a mistake. The person who created this should have been careful. Let them know. I'll do too.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, see the same thing.

Have you been naughty or nice?

I figured somone goofed as well. But, I wondered if it has something to do with the private offer. Oh, well ebates merchants get moved to the bottom of my pages and sometimes fall off the bottom when I find a good replacement.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I also received the private offer and said I would welcome joining them once I saw them OFF everyones teamed with parasites list.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I got this from overstock today they must think we are bloody stupid.
    quote:
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: gpskevy1@shaw.ca
    Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 11:53 AM
    Subject: A Letter From Patrick Byrne

Dear Gordon Skevy,

Greetings and happy holidays! I write to thank you for your efforts this year and inform you of some changes to our affiliate agreement.

First, thank you for your hard work this year. I am in your debt. With the help of all of our affiliates, Overstock.com made tremendous strides in 2003. In return, we have worked to become the best merchant on the Internet for affiliates to work with, in that we aim to generate more commission for every click you send us than you can earn from any other merchant's program.

To that end, we took a number of steps in 2003:

1. We spent much of the year testing various design elements of our site and selecting those that generated the highest conversion (though we know we still have far to go);

2. We spent much money developing a new search engine, also in an effort to improve the usability and conversion of our site (and again, we know we still have a long way to go);

3. We greatly expanded our product selection, including a book category with 225,000 titles priced better than 20% off Amazon (25% on best-sellers), a fashion department with the best prices on the Internet, and better and more products in our other departments.

We are gaining increasing recognition for these improvements. For example, we have been selected in various "best of the web" polls recently, and in October we were ranked as a Top 20 Internet Shopping site by comScore Networks. We hope that these investments we are making in our site have also helped your web site and generated more affiliate commissions for you. We appreciate our partnership with you and pledge to continue working to make our affiliate program the best in the industry.

Second, we have updated our affiliate agreement. With the recent enactment of the California anti-spam law (which goes into effect on January 1, 2004) and other legislation aimed at quelling the flood of junk email that consumers receive, we have made some changes to our affiliate agreement to better detail our position on this subject. Overstock.com is fully committed to the mission of eliminating spam on the Internet, not only because the spam industry dilutes the effectiveness of legitimate marketing email, but because it is the right thing to do anyway: spammers are helping themselves to millions of hours of the public's time. To that end, we rigorously maintain only opt-in email addresses and always permit any email recipient to conveniently opt-out of emails. We are also adamant that our partners and affiliates be similarly diligent. To that end, we added some specific anti-spam language to our revised agreement. This language requires that you send emails promoting Overstock.com only to recipients who have directly consented to receive such communication or who have entered into a pre-existing business relationship with you. It also requires you to allow such recipients the ability to "opt out" of further communications if they so desire. We also require that you allow us to audit your email lists and sources and any email containing our name, product, web site address, metatag or any other type of identifier.

Please accept the terms of our revised affiliate agreement. To accomplish this, follow this link, http://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/a...prg_oid=50789, and log into LinkShare, and choose the new baseline offer in "Program Levels section". If the link above does not work, or you cannot see it, simply login to Linkshare.com, select Overstock.com in your "Program Control Select Merchant" drop down menu, and choose the new baseline offer in the "Program Levels" section. If you have not accepted these changes by December 19, 2003 and you are still promoting and generating sales for Overstock.com, then you will be automatically opted into our revised affiliate agreement. If you have any questions regarding this change, please contact us at (866) 211-0734.

I trust that you will understand the reasons behind the changes to our affiliate agreement. Ensuring that we and all our affiliates comply with the new anti-spam legislation will help ensure the long-term viability of email marketing, and protect consumers, you and us from the problems associated with spam.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your hard work. Together, we are in "a war of the fleas against the elephants." It is the side I want to be on.

Warm regards,

Patrick Byrne
    Chief Executive Officer
    Overstock.com, Inc.

and my reply was

quote:
    Dear sir

I am not too bothered about spam, I can delete it or just set filters for it.

I think your implied emphasis on being against spam yet still allowing parasites to steal and divert our commissions is both atrocious and two faced and in fact it disgusts me.

I notice you did not mention them (parasites) is there a reason?
    Do you still allow them to overwrite our cookies and links?
    Do you still allow them to and steal and divert our commissions to their own accounts?
    Are you still allowing parasites to be affiliates of yours?

When the answer to all these questions is an emphatic no then I will promote you, until then I will just let you grab the odd sale and click through on the few links that I have left up that I cannot be bothered to take the time to find.

regards
    Gordon Skevy

Take care
    Gordon CEO of
    YouTrek.com
    I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread