ABW Ambassador
    Just not sure what I am looking at here, but I think this place is promoting pop overs to merchants. They offer different services but if you click on clients you will see an example of the pop over. I did see one merchant listed that is in this forum, but do not know just what services they are using. Some one smarter and wiser than me want to take a look?
    http://www.clicksquad.com/online_mar..._marketing.htm
    Cazzie

Fight Back! Parasite Free In 2004!

You have to laugh.

On the Contextual Marketing page it says

"As an example, when a user visits Client A’s site online, the technology enables the delivery of an advertisement from Client B’s."

Then on their Affiliate page they say of affiliates

"Will they practice unethical search engine practices"

Hmmmmmmm

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Maybe CollectablesToday would like to shed some light on this IAB member. Seems like another all inclusive Ad Whore operation ranging from e-mail marketing to popup/under theftware advertising. Key would be how they infect systems with their BHO contextual popup technology. Some browser hijacking routine has to take place unless they do hidden bundling with a firms like KaZZaa or pay affiliates to do drive-bys.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

They don't hide how they do it

From their site

"So how does one acquire this technology? The primary vehicle for the distribution of contextual advertising technologies is software bundling. Many of the industry’s participants have partnerships in place with peer-to-peer and other file sharing software application providers. Some of the major providers are Kazaa, iMesh, Morpheus, Grokster, Limewire, and BearShare."

Oh, and this

"Click Squad offers its own application, SearchPike, through various applications on the Internet."

They should be run off the web

("As an example, when a user visits Client A’s site online, the technology enables the delivery of an advertisement from Client B’s.")

Nice screenshot of one of their pop-ups over pillstore.com!
    And in the FAQ's
    Can I target a specific URL with contextual marketing?
    Yes. We can target specific URL’s, search terms, and many other variables.

I wonder if Pillstore are aware that a screenshop of their site is being used as an example of how another merchant can hijack Pillstores customers.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/a...searchpike.asp

Description
    The ActualNames software is an address bar search hijacker targeting IE, Netscape and AOL browsers.

It also seems to contain components to interfere with the sending of mail from various applications and web sites. However, the function of these files has not been pinned down.

Variants
    The software may or may not come with ActualNames/BrowseProxy, an ActiveX installer component, depending on how it was installed.

Also known as
    AdvSearch, after its folder name; SearchPike, after its program name.

Distribution
    Bundled with KazaaMate. Suspected also to be installed by ActiveX drive-by download from some pop-ups.
    Security issues
    Yes. ActualNames can silently download and execute arbitrary unsigned code from its controlling server actualnames.com, as a self-updating feature.

ActualNames/BrowseProxy is also a severe security hole as it allows any web site to execute arbitrary programs.

Guess we'll hear from CollectablesToday on running this campaign through drive-by and hidden bundled installs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    The COC's support of drive by installs, browser hijacking, cookie overwriting and consumer privacy invasion is rapidly catching up with them.

Click Squad not onlys helps merchants set up affiliate programs but.... "maintains a proprietary tracking network that not only allows the affiliate the ability to track their earnings, but also which of their campaigns have had the most success".

One would think the line is blured between what these folks do and what networks involved with the COC do..... Think about it - is it that much different? The COC networks don't have a toolbar they claim as their own that they openly push onto consumers but they sure push other ones to merchants.

This field is disgustingly dirty and it will surely get worse!

Un-unified affiliates are merely bait for the networks and the many others who openly interfere with our work and take our commissions away from us.

** Have you asked for change? **

cnn ran a news story this morning about music swapping and peer-to-peer networks. might be a good time to write to cnn.com about the 'alleged' commission stealing that is also going on in part thanks to our friends that supply this software

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

Affiliate Manager
    Oh, now that's nice!

I'll ask ClickSquad to remove our logo. I found out that we did have a brief fling with ClickSquad in the past (before my time) but that relationship is no longer.

They've never (to mine and Mitul's knowledge) been a part of our affiliate marketing effort and never will be for as long as I'm here.

"It's a dirty field" and we're trying to clean everything up!!

Thanks for the notification, I'm shooting off a letter now.

best,

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CLICK THIS!! --> Join Our Program!

Affiliate Manager
    Upon the advice of a trusted affiliate, I'd like to add...

DEATH TO ALL CLICKSTERS!!!!

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Affiliate Manager
    Just to close this topic out, I did find out more information about our ties to ClickSquad.

During the first half of 2003, we did use Click Squad for search engine marketing, however we did not take advantage of their contextual marketing offerings.

We aren't pursuing anything with Click Squad because of a difference in philosophies, however I will say that their president is the kind of man who is open to discussion and does pause for thought now and then. (He contacted me after that last post Who wouldn't, eh?)

So, I encourage you to contact them directly if you have concerns so that they have the opportunity address them. But please do so in a respectful manner. Conflicting opinions and disagreement are always going to collide, however much can be accomplished with some degree of respect.

Our collectiblestoday forum wouldn't be the wonderful, cozy place that it is if it weren't for the warmth and strength of our affiliates! I couldn't ask for a better affiliate team and I would not do anything to jeopardize the trust they put in me!

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread