Anybody know what comes bundled with it? The site says "no, it's not spyware". Further searching in the faq's provides no information on what comes bundled, tho they mention bundling and privacy issues related to "spyware". My local NBC news station promotes that puppy every day at Noon and 10PM. I sure would like to know if it's got whenU or others bundled with it. I've sent them an email requesting a list of the bundled garbage, so I'll see if they reply. A lot of their information is dated 2001

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...2&r=9866063752

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Unless you like receiving "offers" on a daily basis, don't download it! They have a shopping utility, but I'm not sure how it works. It was on my Brother's computer, and it took forever to get them to stop sending daily messages.

The messages have stopped for now, but I'm not sure what else is going on behind the scenes. Nothing comes for free anymore, so I'm certain there's a catch...

Andy

I don't want/need weatherbug I just wondered if there was substantial documentation that could be presented to the newsguys who are pushing it on NBC. You know..... make an issue out of it

Funny though, I got a reply back that had to do with seeing weather data from alaska. I guess they either screwed up or really don't want to give out that info. I'll see if I get another reply.

The "newsguys" aren't pushing it, it's the marketing/bean counter guys and they don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts either.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Xrayeyes:
    I don't want/need weatherbug I just wondered if there was substantial documentation that could be presented to the newsguys who are pushing it on NBC. You know..... make an issue out of it

Funny though, I got a reply back that had to do with seeing weather data from alaska. I guess they either screwed up or really don't want to give out that info. I'll see if I get another reply.

ABW Ambassador
    According to Doxdesk.com Weatherbug has had toolbar parasites bundled with it in the past. Don't know or care if they do now, I don't give scumware vehicle software a second chance.

When I needed a dedicated computer for a client's project, they gave me one that was choked with parasites. The CAD operator that used it before had downloaded every piece of crap available and it took days to disinfect it. I think Spybot killed off the Weatherbug, but can't remember for sure.

When I need to know the weather in Alaska, I check the National Weather Service.

Wayne

quote:
    Originally posted by ShoreMark:
    The "newsguys" aren't pushing it, it's the marketing/bean counter guys and they don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts either.

Well, Brant comes on every day at noon and tells people how great weatherbug is and how to get it........ I'd say he's "pushing it" and I assume has no clue what's going on in the CEO's office.

I'm not sure who Brant is, local newsman in your market?, but you can be sure he's not pushing it unless someone tells him to.
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ShoreMark:

Well, Brant comes on every day at noon and tells people how great weatherbug is and how to get it........ I'd say he's "pushing it" and I assume has no clue what's going on in the CEO's office.

my market happens to be the entire metropolitan chicago viewing area which extends for hundreds of miles. The viewing audience is HUGE. We aren't talking the boon docks where 28.8 is the only access speed available for internet connectivity Funny thing is he's the only one who mentions it on the air.

Well, I don't want to debate this. I found out today that my neighbor's 12 y.o. installed it. I'll just go check out their pc I'm sure it's full of everything under the sun

quote:
    Funny thing is he's the only one who mentions it on the air.
    I'm sorry, we must have a disconnect on what we're talking about - I'm merely saying that if any given TV personality continually pushes any given product - he's doing it because his station has a financial arrangement with that product and he is required to do so.

I do not know alot about these parasites, but I do know that at the same time I downloaded weatherbug I got zapped with spyware and I don't know how to get rid of it!!! HELP...

nbctv here in ny pushes this thing every time the weather man come on also i just sit back and laugh. its even on the homepage maybe they are the ones that put it out in the first place

------------------------------
    parasites = no money
    no parasites = money
    money is the choice im making i will see you there!!

Hello, I'm new on this forum, but I noticed this older post Re: spyware in Weatherbug, and I don't see anyone talking about what the REAL Spyware in Weatherbug is:

MINIBUG.EXE

It's put there by none other than the U.S. Office of Homeland Security, in cahoots with AWS, the weather service that supplies the Weatherbug. !!!! It may report on sites you go to, so they can watch for suspicious "terrorist" activity. THAT's why it's spread around so much - the U.S. Government is behind it!

I had minibug last year, and Spybot got rid of it, but not the first time through. It was really nasty. Installed itself into a HIDDEN file, so you could not even find it on your computer. It only took one right click on the self-installing weatherbug icon, to install the hidden spy program. If you removed it, it re-installed itself next time you booted up. Had to totally remove every trace of the Weatherbug, to get rid of it.

It was written by someone who REALLY knew what they were doing, and since Spybot doesn't seem to be finding it any more, I'm guessing that they've figured out how to hide it even from Spybot now. But my Zone Alarm free version caught it trying to access the internet, and of course, I stopped it. My brother, a webmaster since the 1990's, sent me the link below, when I told him about it.

Here is a link to the site that first brought it to my attention. Not my kind of site, but it has two articles on it that described it, last year. The articles are still there; scroll down the page a little, and look for two articles on Weatherbug.

http://www.onlinepot.org/security/weatherbugspy.htm

I wonder what's the REST of the story?

Dave

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    It's put there by none other than the U.S. Office of Homeland Security, in cahoots with AWS, the weather service that supplies the Weatherbug. !!!!

Another conspiracy theory.

The Office of Homeland Security, in my opinion was a huge mistake, but show us proof they put the minibug.exe or any software in Weatherbug.

The article you cited says the OHS "promotes" Weatherbug. Far cry from the statements you made.

Wayne

We've had weatherbug installed for about 4 years now. Not sure about it being spyware - it does pop ads but only occassionally, and only when you're minimizing it after looking at the current conditions. When installing the program, they have you choose the type of advertising you want to see; health, travel, etc.. No way you don't know that ads will be served in the free version. The email that comes in my box averages 3 or 4 a month.

We installed it because one of my sons was in a science class that has the weather station that reports to weatherbug.

The only problem I do have with it is, if you have it in the start up menu it slows down starting windows. Tends to be a resource hog.

We just installed a home weather station - decided to uninstall wx'bug but now my son wants to compare the local school numbers with ours, so for now, it's staying installed.

~Mom of a Science geek

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread