Hi. I run a relatively new affiliate program, and all this talk about ParasiteWare has me paranoid about which affiliates I will accept.

I'm posting this here because in reading about ParasiteWare I have seen that some parasites can be loaded to your computer simply by viewing a website, and one of my affiliate applicants has set off a number of "red flags" when I checked out their site.

I was hoping for some feedback, and maybe some ideas for how a merchant can avoid accidentally being involved with a parasite (I know that most of these merchants do it on purpose, thinking it will make them money, but can I accidentally become a party to parasites?)

Specifically: a company called Charmingle applied for my affiliate program. They claim to be able to promote products through their "global database of email address, internet IP address, telephone numbers, fax numbers and super promotion softwares for our clients to promote their information and business in everywhere of the world."

Poor grammar aside, this smells like SPAM to me. Plus, how else would I appear on someone's IP address without some kind of spyware/adware installed on their computer?

When you go to their About Us page, or FQA (I guess they meant FAQ) page... SOMETHING is loading while you view the page, for a long time. I couldn't find anything that still needed loading, so I thought... what's going on??

I guess I'm just paranoid about the idea that a web page can load something on to my computer (or anyone else's) without notification.

If this is not parasiteware, but just super-spam, let me know (and sorry for posting to wrong list). I'm ignorant of the details of ParasiteWare, I just know I want to avoid it like the plague (thanks to you folks).

Toxey

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Domain name: CHARMINGLE.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Amon, Philip armageddontradeco@juno.com
    POBOX 426117
    San Francisco, CA 94102
    US
    (415)346-2071
    Technical Contact:
    Manager, Domains support@netfirms.com
    5255 Yonge St
    Toronto, ON M2N 6P4
    CA
    +1.4166612100 Fax: +1.4166610700

Registration Service Provider:
    Netfirms, Inc., support@netfirms.com
    +1.4166612100
    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

One of those free domains for life with a $4.95/monthly hosting fee affiliates. eBiz plan seems to be to push submitting your site to 25,000 FFA search engines (spam traps) for Paypal and 2Checkout.com cash payment gateways.

About Charmingle

Our company, Charmingle.com, an affiliated member of Armageddon Trading Company, is a team of experts to provide the promotion services for the customers. We have global database of email address, internet IP address, telephone numbers, fax numbers and super promotion softwares for our clients to promote their information and business in everywhere of the world. Our services fees are reasonable by comparing with other companies.

Our mission is to empower clients with more choice, confidence and convenience services as earth's best market place. We are sensitive to our image with our clients and the business community. Commitments to clients are considered sacred.

real joke for the money ... http://www.charmingle.com/html/adver...ervices.html#8

The sites displayed as search results or linked to by Charmingle Services are developed by people over whom Charmingle exercises no control. The search results that appear from Charmingle’s indices are indexed by Charmingle’s automated machinery and computers, and Charmingle cannot and does not screen the sites before including them in the indices from which such automated search results are gathered. A search using Charmingle Services may produce search results and links to sites that some people find objectionable, inappropriate, or offensive. We cannot guarantee that a Charmingle search will not locate unintended or objectionable content and assume no responsibility for the content of any site included in any search results or otherwise linked to by the Charmingle Services.

The guy bought or use a free classified Ad script with no takes at this time for his domain directory program. Basically a newbee seeking a 1990's path to riches.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Good info. Hmmm...

So what is it, I wonder, that's taking so long to load on all these pages? Is it just a badly coded website?

Doesn't really matter, since there are SO many other reasons why I can't/won't accept them into my affiliate program, but I hate/love a mystery... so it bothers me not to know what's going on with these pages.

Thanks for the info, and I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for trouble.

Toxey

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Toxey I went to all their pages and didn't get a drive-by install alert. Of course with all the spyware/adware shields I have installed including Spywareblaster and spywareguard it might have just killed the Active-X profile before it could try. Gotta love those tools who identify 200+ drive-by install BHO perps and whack any attempt to give Charlie the red ass.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Sounds like a big time SPAMMER to me. The part about them that says, "global database of email address, internet IP address, telephone numbers, fax numbers and super promotion softwares for our clients to promote their information and business in everywhere of the world..." is enough to raise red flags. They don't say how they get this data, do they?

I hate

Andy

Yeah... they're either a big spammer, or as Mike & Charlie stated a "newbee" (who's pretending to be a big marketer.)

Either way, I'm put off by the whole concept of the company. Glad they're not loading spyware, but the smell of Spam is nauseating.

I hate spam, too, and think the quickest and fastest way to get customers to hate you is to flood them with spam about your product. The second is to take on an affiliate who will do that for you...

Thanks folks, have a better one.

Toxey

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread