I've come across this program I won't name for reasons that will be obvious after I explain what it does;

XXXXXXX uses built-in Microsoft technology to deliver your message directly to desktops without the need of a web browser.

XXXXXX can be used to communicate with customers or potential customers in real-time

Each successful broadcast sent indicates that your message appeared on your recipients screen. That's equivalent to a banner ad click-through

XXXX comes built in with a large database of built-in IP ranges that you may send your communication to.

Our XXXXXX produced by XXXXXX software are delivered straight to the screen of your prospect. You do not have to worry about good, bad, or targeted email lists. Bulk email is closely governed by different laws in different states, instant messages are not.

XXXXXXX are totally anonymous and virtually untraceable. Bulk email may cause you trouble with your ISP if you are not using special software to hide your IP address. With XXXXXX XXXXX your address never shows up anywhere.

Your prospect response rate is much higher, which equals more business to you. Delivery rates are instantly presented to you. You can see how many messages were delivered and actually seen by your prospective customers.

In order to be a successful advertiser on the Internet, you need an edge over the competition.
    XXXXX is a feature-rich direct advertising program designed to deliver your messages directly to your prospects desktops, using the latest technology available.

XXXXXX can effectively broadcast your message right to the desktop of your potential leads without the use of opt-in e-mail lists or banner ads.

To send messages, XXXXX uses a program called XXXX which is part of Windows and is installed by default in Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows XP. To receive a message, the receiver does not have to have any extra software installed.

With XXXXXX your response is as instant as the delivery of your ad. When sent, it arrives on your targeted prospects desktop in an instant. Totally anonymous and virtually untraceable

That's a gist of it, has anyone heard of it?

This is targeting ip addresses and hitting people on their desktops with ads without them opting in or downloading anything.

It sounds like a similiar program Jason,
    the scary thing is it's only $19.95 so any would-be desktop spammer can afford it!

okay if it is this program or similar be careful, you will get popups all the time and will crash applications and more and cause your computer to lose cpu memory too.

This has to be illegal, targeting a consumers desktop.
    I'm being careful, thank you Jason, but this has to be stopped!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    That's a gist of it, has anyone heard of it?~MJ

Yeah, I came across that pitch when I was checking out how to STOP the infernal messenger spam that was coming to my computer. I forgot the name of the program, but the pitch itself I recall quite well. I remember that it does what's in that thread Jason linked to.

quote:
    Totally anonymous and virtually untraceable~From the pitch

What a pile. As soon as some spammer plasters his site, email, or other way to buy his sh*t into his messenger spam, it becomes traceable! And it'd generate just as much ill will as regular spam, if not more.

quote:
    With XXXXXX your response is as instant as the delivery of your ad. ~the pitch

Yeah, people will instantly start tracking down whatever web site, email addy, or phone number came up in the infernal thing--so they can "respond" with flames and shutdown attempts! I doubt the IPS would be too persuaded by the semantics of the term "spam."

IMO, this is one of the most infernal, irritating things from a consumer's perspective. But it had some weaknesses that keep it from being used like actual parasiteware. Foremost, unless someone has come up with something new, it can't set a cookie--or even have a clickable link. It's just a plain-text pitch in a gray box. Second, there was no way to target it other than by user IP range--no way to target keywords, sites, etc.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Don't know whether it is the same,or similar whether this version can set a cookie but it warrants a close watch.

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like the most persitant parasite I've come across. The computer I'm using now was given to me along with a host of parasites. All were easily disposed of with Spybot except for Messenger Service. Every few pop-ups would be one for software I could buy to make the crap stop. I finally got it off with free software I found at http://www.spam-slammer.com/freemanual.html

Pop-up extortion.

The FTC ordered the software provider, D Squared Solutions, LLC shut down but a judge issued a stay. I don't know the current status. The FTC complaint said “The defendants created the problem that they proposed to solve – for a fee. Their pop-up spam wasted computer users’ time and caused them needless frustration."
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/11/dsquared.htm

You can read about the legal threats that one site receieved for helping to expose this stuff: http://www.popupspamsucks.com/

Wayne

Thanks for the interesting read Wayne, I hadn't come across it before, appears this one is a variation.

ABW Ambassador
    If what you have is a variant, you might want to forward the info to the FTC for comment. Their complaint against D Squared Solutions claims they sold or licensed this crap to others that haven't been targeted by the FTC yet.

Wayne

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread