PSW.Briss.H seems to be a virus and about:blank is a browser hijacker. Are these two related? I seem to have picked them up at the same time and can't get rid of either of them. Any suggestions?

Ray

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The BHO companies have blindly hired, or sought out thru their scumbag affiliates, cash dropbox computer hackers/virus writers to mate with their applications. They needed hidden trojan horse backdoors to compliment drive-by installs and counter the detect/removal tools by turning to bundling viruses for re-infection routines. Remember 180Solutions rewards their affiliate infestation partners with bonuses for re-infections and longevity.

Some of the BHO bundled viruses mask Norton and windows updates and block popular anti-parasite download sites.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I've discovered that the following web hosts attempt to plant the Briss trojan on visitor's PCs:

freewebsites.com
    koolhost.com
    artshost.com
    b0x.com
    bannerless.com
    ds4a.com
    ibusinessdot.com
    isportsdot.com
    musicdot.com
    scripterz.org
    trancetechno.com
    adbanners.com

These appear to be all hijacked from the original hosting company.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

about:blank is a tuff one! Search the web for the program "Spyware Begone!" and download it for free. Run it.

Then either pay them to fix the registry, or you can use their helpful listing of all (there are lots) the registry values to fix them yourself.

The basic thing is that there is a file called sp.html which drives the whole thing. Then there are a dll or two, and several registry entries. Every single one must be fixed.

Wesley

While downloading Spyware Begone, I checked the forums for comments about it. One person said they got a popup from a BHO marketing Spyware Begone. NOT a good sign. Now I find out the free version will scan but not clean your system unless you give it an internet connection. I don't want to trade the about:blank problem for a new one. Still looking for suggestions.

Ray

Update: The computer with the virus started rebooting every time I logged on the Internet. Couldn't stay online more than 4 minutes without the machine rebooting. It is now in the shop getting the drive reformated and windows reinstalled. What a pain!

Ray

Good news! I came out of this with two new tools to share. Download and run HijackThis.exe to identify what is running on your computer. Then use http://computercops.biz/StartupList.html to find out what each of those programs are and what they are doing. A cool combination.

Ray

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread