Hello,
    I signed up as an affiliate for a program called HouseValues.Com during the week of November 7th. I was approved as an affiliate and after posting the company’s link on my website I began recording leads on 11/13. I recorded leads for the program from the 13th through the 22nd of the month. Since them I have not recorded one single lead. I attributed this drop off to be the result of the Thanksgiving holiday, but as time goes on I’m finding that harder and harder to believe. Today, I went to my site and clicked on the affiliate link and submitted a fictitious name and email address to see if the entry would be counted as a lead. The fictitious lead was not recorded. While submitting the fictitious info, I noticed a brief flash to another webpage after I clicked on the send button. The flash of the webpage was so brief that I could not make out anything on the page.

I am wondering if my leads and commissions are being hijacked to someone else? Is this possible and if it is, what can I do to get my affiliate link back?

Thanks,
    Greg

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I just checked the site - I am not seeing any affiliate program offered. Is this an independent program or through a network?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The affiliate program is called HouseValues/JustListed.Com

Also, I have run a program called Ad-aware and deleted all spyware. If someone has hijacked my affiliate link, should I cancel my membership to this affiliate program and join again to get another link?

How do I protect my affiliate links in the future?

Thanks for your help

I see that this program is listed in Commission Junction. If you are not already working through Commission Junction, perhaps you may wish to try this route. Commission Junction consolidates payments of all merchants you work with and they pay on time as promised.

I am not sure how someone can steal your commissions by hijacking your links. They would literally have to hack onto your site and alter the ID numbers of your links. If this merchant works with affiliates that distribute "Browswer Helper Objects", you could possibly lose commissions this way since it is possible that your cookie could be replaced with a different one.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Yes, I am working through CJ. Thank you for your help....

If you submitted a fictitous email address, the test lead would probably not be counted. It isn't a good idea to do test leads as virtually every lead program prohibits this. Best to contact the affiliate manager - often they will do a test lead for you. In one case (a different merchant), the affiliate manager did this test for me and didn't even reverse the lead since I was producing quite a few for this merchant previously.

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    If you submitted a fictitous email address, the test lead would probably not be counted. It isn't a good idea to do test leads as virtually every lead program prohibits this. Best to contact the affiliate manager - often they will do a test lead for you. In one case (a different merchant), the affiliate manager did this test for me and didn't even reverse the lead since I was producing quite a few for this merchant previously.
    I made a terrible mistake, by thinking a very fine lady had diverted my earnings, from all programs, for this I cannot apologize enough, I didn't think our profiles were available for veiwing. My computer repair services discovered all my user names,passwords,ID numbers were hijacked by parties unknown,I have to re apply to each program, reininstall all the ads,with new security, McAfee, dropped the ball, I found hundreds of high risk parasites,hijackers on each day. I was adding 2 new sites,and Earthlink DSL, to replace mns, with all it's dial up braekdowns, since this all happened on the first year, after my lifetime partner, from Ireland passed away, after 49 years, I wasn't in my right mind, to think she wouls try to hurt me, after her kind offer to not only help but builsd a better site, there is no way I can say I am sorry, but without her, the lady who helped,I was drifting in a black pool, when I checked my reports on LS, and my earnings on SAS went down, I messed up bad. Now I will use Norton, and yes, use a new password and user name, and ID & tracking code. The new FTP Pro will help me get something from the holiday season, but all ads must be deleted, and there all a lot of them.We were caring people, helping others, and I wanted to build a samll memorial area for my wife, born In Dublin, the medical,funeral and having her returned to the family site in Irealnd, cost over $20,000, and for my Irish Rose I would do anythingm 49 years as a partner.
    JJ

Thanks for the input penrose. It's going to be a pain in the butt, but I will cancel my current account and re-enroll with a new username and passcode. Fortunately I don't have a huge number of ads out there yet....

There are a lot of affiliate link cloaking products on the market. Can you recommend any of them?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread