My new Who Profits from Security Holes? write-up and video shows a security hole used by a web site to install 16+ unwanted programs on a user's PC, all without notice or consent, including CashBack by Bargain Buddy and WebRebates (both programs known to interfere with affiliate commission tracking).

In the past week, I've also seen Ebates Moe Money Maker installed through security holes.

In my recent testing, CashBack, Ebates, and WebRebates all continue to invoke affiliate links in LS and CJ. But isn't installation through security holes an unusually clear violation of network rules? If so, why don't networks enforce their rules and remove these programs?

ABW Ambassador
    Nice video Ben. The answer to your question is the networks who openly allow these thieves to operate in a financial based environment where they prey on consumers, affiliates and merchants.

Never got a network response out of your last thread did you? Wanna bet you don't get one from them here either.

2 to 1 odds they don't - I'm taking all bets. Place um with me now .

Ahoy there mateys - those suckers are stealing our money, the networks could give a rip as they prosper from their evil doings and only tell merchants - "they're in compliance" and "the ones to do business with". Somehow, this is a complete croc!

Place those bets now - The limey pirasites just stole more money from me so I need it.

If any networks do respond I can hear it now..."We're looking into it...yada, yada, yada." This is not a good time of the year to expect any response from the parasite supporting networks, at least until the holiday shopping rush has passed.
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    why don't networks enforce their rules and remove these programs

And long have we kept asking this

And how long have they kept ignoring the question

Pretty sad......

quote:
    why don't networks enforce their rules and remove these programs

Money! Money! Money! sing with me!

The beat goes on!!!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I just spent the morning cleaning all those mentioned (and other) malware/adware programs off 2 clients systems. Damn infestation schemes now include bundling the Adware with a trojan horse computer virus. Damn virus blocks Norton and Adware, Spybot S&D updates or scans. One pushing the BHO's by opening security holes for infestation fees using a backdoor trojan virus that even blocks www.Trendmicro.com HouseCall application.

Only route to whack it is to uninstall Norton and SpyBot S&D and then reinstall them under a Windows safe Mode boot. The networks cannot turn a blind eye to BHO partners who refuse to honor shoppers demand for simple complete one-step un-installs. By getting 3rd world programmers to write drive-by install scripts the BHO Adwhores encourage infestation fee partners to bundle computer viruses into the mix. 180Solutions and others pay a premium for keeping their crap on victims systems.

The networks refuse to ask the pointed questions as they don't want to know in case they get forced by the courts to reveal ALL. Yep this will be the lowest income Christmas in history for domain bound affiliates with no action planned by the network wanks till after the raping is over.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mr. Messer probably is travelling so for sure he will miss this one....
    But Ben, thanks for the heads up and keep the research & input coming, one day there will be results
    Peter

:: Hello ::

Do you have list of Cookie Stuffers and Parasites that you could share? I would really appreciate it.

I personally have been hit by a Trojan and forced installs and really feel for the average Joe that gets hit with one of these as cleaning reg files is no easy remedy.

Any list would be appreciated.. I will continue to check your posts for updates..

My http://www.benedelman.org/cookiestuffing reports some affiliate IDs found to use cookie-stuffing. As to the various spyware/stealware programs, I post some research findings to ABW, and some to my web site.

When merchants want serious, focussed help addressing these problems, I generally advise them to either acquire specialized expertise on-staff, or to hire outside consultants with such expertise (of which myself and Kellie are but two of many possibilities). When merchants approach me with their spyware worries, I check for affiliates targeting their sites using all the major spyware/stealware programs I know of, and I send a list of all the affiliate IDs I find to be targeting merchants' sites (along with associated screen-capture videos, packet logs, etc.). But this testing is far too time-consuming to be a suitable project for casual requests. Rather, it's paid consulting work, with all the benefits (reporting format, explanation of methodology, laboratory conditions) and all the downsides (most obviously, some cost and generally a requirement of ongoing diligence to make sure new problems don't crop up in the future).

:: Hello Ben :

Thanks, I did take note of that list the moment I found it and updated my current list..

I appreciate all of your hard work in this area!
    And your information posted here.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread