Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    http://www.imediaconnection.com/news/4417.asp

My own personal take is that it's more of PR spin than anything else. This quote pretty much says it all:

quote:
    Dell said it was compelled to join the IEF in the battle against spyware after a rise in support calls from customers upset about disrupted Web surfing and sluggish computers, two symptoms of spyware.

ABW Ambassador
    But watch the scary seperation here. The demonizing of spyware, while the silent allowing of adware. It is not enough to be against spyware, adware must be pulled along. The distinction between the two is being blurred all the time, and that is what aluria/gator is trying to play on - "Look we aren't so bad because we aren't spyware".

This is a scary typo in the article,
    quote:
    ...gives the Justice Department $10 to crack down on spyware companies...

Chet

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Chez Noir, you mean "adware" not adaware right?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Correct, thanks.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Chet excellent point regarding the distinctions between the terminology of spyware and adware. That distinction is getting played both ways depending on the persons motivation (ie making a distinction or not). And you are right, adware must be pulled along. And those who are benefiting from adware are focusing on true spyware. And adware accounts for more applications than true spyware (ie keyloggers).

A more honest move by Dell if they were really wanting to help consumers with this issue would be to stop engaging in the use of adware. Hence my statement of PR spin IMO.

Regarding the distinctions between the terminology of spyware and adware.

We need Judge Judy on this:

Spyware corporation: “Your Honor there is a difference between Spyware and Adware, we are Adware.”

Judge Judy: “SHUT UP”

Judge Judy: “Are you an Idiot?”

Judge Judy: “This is a yes or no question, are you looking in at other people’s computers? “

Spyware corporation: “Your Honor Spyware is…”

Judge Judy: “SHUT UP”

Judge Judy: “Are you thick?”

Judge Judy: “YES OR NO!”

Spyware corporation: “YES”

Kellie, can you say more about Dell's use of adware?

This past summer, I documented Dell ads appearing on Claria. But Dell reported that these ads had been placed by an affiliate, without authorization. (The ads had been running for 4+ months, but maybe Dell wasn't monitoring this kind of thing very carefully...) That's the last I've seen of Dell ads appearing through adware, but I'd love to be told I've missed something important.

Meanwhile, Dell's affiliate program is victimized by all kinds of "stealware." They were among the sites most intensely targeted by 180solutions in my testing of earlier this year. (Dell affiliate links were invoked, after a randomized delay, in off-screen windows. So cookies would be set without anything appearing on screen.) I've continued to see Dell targeted by other stealware-type programs.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The moment Dell.com get pulled into court to testify to the millions of dollars in commissions paid out to Adware BHO's will be the moment the truth comes out. Their only way to impress legit affiliates would be to publically fire the LS and BF Affiliate Management firms running their programs. The fees they pay to these firms, plus the double dipping expenses, would substancially increase their bottom line.

Ms.B is totally correct ...this is a pure play smoke and Mirrors PR campaign probably planted by the Dell AM firm. Dell's tech support costs due to Adware/spyware and backdoor trojans has to be phenominal.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread