Hi,

While reading the boards here, under ParasiteWare, I repeatedly get a bright yellow banner at the top of the page warning me that I have a parasite on my computer and to "click here" to clean it. What is this all about?
    Here is the message:

ParasiteWare javascript detector warning:
    Your browser appears to have the "MySearch/D1" parasite installed. It might have been installed without your knowledge. If you have been alerted with this message box, it is imperative that you clean and protect your machine by Clicking Here to clean your machine now

Your browser appears to have the "MySearch/MyWay" parasite installed. It might have been installed without your knowledge. If you have been alerted with this message box, it is imperative that you clean and protect your machine by Clicking Here to clean your machine now
    Terry Matlen, ACSW
    Specializing in ADHD

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    That page at ABW probably has a members adware/spyware detect script there as a true alert for your infestation. Welcome to the 94% of systems infected every year by rogue affiliates willing to sell their pets to canneries if the price was right.

Google Ad-Aware and SpyBot S & D or just go to www.ecomcity.com/news.htm and dlownload the only freebees worth a hoot. Read the parts to unblock bFast commission junction and linksynergy cookies which are blocked by default. Real pain but our networks are in bed with every privacy peddling/buying wank in the IAB & DMA.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The click here link is a bookmark on parasiteware.com (specifically http://www.parasiteware.com/#Parasiteware_Scanner ) - the parasiteware scanner (BTW - the link doesn't go to the bookmark, read on).

... is currently undergoing stress tracking of the affiliate program.

The results you mentioned [the yellow area] are from the java scanner from Doxdesk.com, neither that nor parasiteware (a term and site I developed on my own dime over two years ago) are scams.

Go clean your machine and stop using libelous terms so frivolously.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Yikes! I didn't mean to use libelous terms! I am no techie and don't know much about all of this at all. But one of my merchants called me (she's a very small company) and said that she's losing her business because of parasites. I check these boards out and recall reading about it, so when I visited the boards again today, found that yellow banner, which scared the heck out of me.

I just ran my Spy Bot Search and Destroy- will that do the trick?

This merchant has me concerned- she said my url was on 180 solutions and I am trying to learn what that all means. And it so far isn't looking too good!

Terry
    Terry Matlen, ACSW
    Specializing in ADHD

Andrew Clover has a detection script which you can use and tinker with. These get updated quite often (last one was 9th December). You can modify it if you like, and send them to a reputable anti-spyware vendor, or just link back to Andrew's information pages.

It's clever stuff!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread