Maybe not the most effective advertising but it's free cause your spending money anyway. Could become quite interesting if everyone started doing this.

ABW Ambassador
    I actually brought that idea up to my girlfriend who works at a bank. She said something about you're not supposed to write on currency and that they are supposed to destroy cash with writing on it.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Even so ... the money would circulate for some time with the URL on it. What have you got to lose? I can't imagine the Treasury Department swooping down on you for monetary vandalism. And if they did, you'd get so much free press, it would be worth it!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

After reading Jane's original post I did a search because I thought it was illegal to write on money and I came across this article. It seems no one is quite sure if it's illegal or not but they're probably not gonna bust you for writing on money.

Is writing on money illegal? Article from Lansing State Journal

Well of course that thought crossed my mind so I looked it up and as near as I can tell defacing is defined as making the money unfit for circulation. Writing your URL in the border does not do this. This also led me to the site http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ where they have been stamping and tracking money for some time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm, i should do some searching for a good answer. I was all ready to get my url as a stamp and get a stamp pad and mark all my bills. If somebody ever does inquire about this, you can always say it was your competitor just trying to get you in trouble.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Yes thats a good reason to get a stamp.. so they can't bring in the handwriting experts.
    I like that word "Intent" the intent is to advertise so it can not be to make the money unfit.

It's really an interesting idea how to get great publicity.

Oskars

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

Well you're safe if you're Canadian -- there's no laws about writing on money.

BUT, after having entered many bills on our similar site, whereswilly.com, none have created a hit back so I'd say that although free....it's not going to generate a lot of business.

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

LOL!!!!
    Head rush.
    Envlope Method of printing your URL on dollar bils

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    I've always used small return address labels...I got a pack a while back and never actually used them for their intended purpose
    so, I put my logo, or URL, on the labels and put 'em on both sides of $1's and $5's (anything larger won't circulate as much).
    I've gotten a lot of different responses, ranging from, "is this money real?" to "oh, what's this?" More often than not, I'm guessing, people just peel 'em off. I was worried about defacing the bills, but now I think I'll just get a stamp made and keep it in my car
    Thanks for the research everyone

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Lord, I can see it now, some China sweatshop writing urls in U.S. dollar borders for a penny apiece, lololol. Pretty soon, we'll be seeing "Enhance your package" on every freakin' dollar bill, lol.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread