Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm.. Just thinking back about how nice and simple life was before I started with websites and affiliate marketing !

Never had to worry about "updating" , never cared about what emails were waiting, never getting pissed off because some stupid check is late , or not coming at all.

Never blew off friends and family before just so I can spend more time at the computer .
    Used to be a real fun person, now I am a total geek .

I'm beginning to feel like I am missing out on the most important things in life , and the money , allthough it's good for the time invested, doesn't seem worth it right now.

What do some of you do when you feel burnt out, and need a LONG break from this stuff? Do you just let your sites go unupdated, ignore emails, etc?

Lisa

Lisa,
    I know I too get bored will all this some thimes .. although affiliate marketing is one of the best things one can do for a decent living .. at least it's better than a job!

Here's what I do times when I just get tired of all the work .. I get down, jump in a rikshaw go to juhu beach and just sit there doing nothing for hours.
    I go to the beach only after 10.00 pm because it's cool weather then.

Beleve me, When I come back home, I feel so refreshed that i can to sit at the computer for another week and not get bored at all.

Try it if you stay nearby a beach, you'll know what I'm saying.

you'll never be "normal" again, your one of us now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] who wants to be normal anyway?

its good to take a break, the site and the emails will still be there when you come back, personally, i've stopped answering emails, i have an input box that is checked that says "send me occasional related offers" (something like that), 100% have left this option checked so far. then all i do is add them to my mailing list and answer all their questions in one go, basically the answer is always in the form of a link to a page featuring the items they requested and/or special offers, no replies to stupid questions though

giving up working on pages at weekends can feel as difficult as giving up a bad habit but when we get burnt out its the only option and so worthwhile in the long run

i take a whole month off at xmas from mid dec to mid jan

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Lisa--It beats a real job and here's why!

>Hmmm.. Just thinking back about how nice and simple life was before I started with websites and affiliate marketing !

REALITY CHECK:
    Employment, boss's moods, stuck in traffic=1 minute late=some kind of travesty, same pay even if you feel industrious and do more than usual, and, importantly, if you TAKE A DAY OFF THE PAY STOPS FOR THAT DAY! And you'd better have a good excuse for any days off!
    </REALITY CHECK>

>Never had to worry about "updating"

Forget about Updating. If the merchant is still active and not a crook, forged-aboudid...what made money yesterday will make it tomorrow, unless a competitor shows up and kicks it! Then it's time for an "emergency update".

>never cared about what emails were waiting,

Take the e-mail address off your site if it's showing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Set it up so that only important sources of e-mail (CJ, Merchants, "Other" Networks, and places you bought from, for instance) can find the address. It'll cut down the time spent on that by about 95%. Give those people a special e-mail address--and ignore the rest of your addresses until YOU'RE READY to read e-mails!

>never getting pissed off because some stupid check is late , or not coming at all.

Well....but put it like this: With standard employment, you have to earn EVERY cent--no sticking a page up, ignoring it, and knowing that $$$ will come in anyway. You don't show up at Work, you don't get paid. And you'd better have a decent excuse, or else!

>Never blew off friends and family before just so I can spend more time at the computer .
    Used to be a real fun person, now I am a total geek .

And what's wrong with being a Geek like the Richest Man in the World?!? But you don't have to be on the computer all the time if you don't want to...

>I'm beginning to feel like I am missing out on the most important things in life

Erm, FREEDOM, money and fun are here in Affiliate Marketing! Oh, something else is important? Hee hee... Really, your site won't blow up if you turn off the computer for awhile (if you set it up right--if you haven't, change it!) so go ahead and go out if you want!

>and the money , allthough it's good for the time invested, doesn't seem worth it right now.

Wait until you chill for a few weeks and see the stats keep rising even when you're NOT investing any time, and THEN see if you say that...The beauty in this biz is the ongoing return that comes after the effort is long past, not in what you make in say, a week after making a revenue page.

>What do some of you do when you feel burnt out, and need a LONG break from this stuff? Do you just let your sites go unupdated, ignore emails, etc?

YEP!!! YOU GOT IT! I chilled ALL summer except for when merchants cancelled their programs!

Right now I've been typing like mad, but I'm looking forward to doing Plenty of Nothing during those hot, slow months when the Buyers are on vacation. When the Buyers are on vacation, there's no point in haulin' anyway (unless you're trying to get the jump on the competition for fall, but enough's enough by summertime for me!).

I mentioned all the other points to remind you what's GOOD about Affiliate Marketing--but the fact that the money keeps coming in with almost TOTAL ignoring of everything (at least for a long while) is one of the BEST POINTS!

So go ahead and chill for a while... If your viewers are used to regular updates, break 'em of that expectation. Sure, there'll be a traffic dip, but it's a small price to pay, because once you have it set up so that people will come even though it's not changing, it's pretty much easy breezin' to keep the income level as it is.

Of course, if you want a RAISE, you're stuck putting out more effort! Growing a site is a whole lot different than "maintaining" what you have already. 95% of effort should go toward Growing, with only 5% needed for Mainaining.

Remember that at a regular j*b, you'd have to get in the boss's "good graces" and then beg (or at least negotiate) for a raise...whereas with aff. marketing, you can just Type Yourself A Raise anytime you want!

All of this isn't to say I never need a vacation--I did chill all summer and only do absolutely necessary maintenance (get rid of dead merchants and force out a newsletter about once a week).

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa - Believe me I feel your pain. But whatever you do, DO NOT Give UP!!! Both Internet Guru and Austin made excellent points.

Whether you want to or not - you are one of us now. What you've become can never be changed. It's like the plague. Once your an Affiliate Marketier, always one. Just like the Marines. I myself prefer to refer to us as Internet Sales and Marketing Executives. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Sounds Better. LOL!! But you will always have it in your blood now to check your stats, or your sales, or your email. Maybe you can get away easier without checking your email. But the urge to check stats and sales will always nag at you. The only time I can go without checking stats is when I'm not home.

Take a break girl. Don't work for a few nights. Let yourself refresh and then get back in to it. DO NOT cut off family and friends to work on the computer. Still make time for them and do the work in the meantime and in between time. Me and my boyfriend have a special day set aside every week for our date - We officially call it "Tuesday's Movie Night". Every tuesday we get something to eat, and sneak it into the movie theatre. LOL!! We have a blast and always look forward to our special night out. Then whenever he comes over I drop what I am doing to spend time with him unless of course he is going to watch sports or something and doesn't mind me to keep working. The pathetic part is I've never really had any friends since I've been an adult. I have like 1 friend and we don't get together much.

But keep your friends. Now my mom, she's a whole nother story. I had to put her on time out. I haven't called her in 3 days. With this business I have come to realize and understand that money is the root of all evil.

So I can feel you when you say sometimes you want your old life back. Sometimes I say wow, now I see how people who have money and are rich are still not happy. Because money doesn't make you happy and sometimes it can cause a whole new set of problems for you. The people that you love around you change. Jealousy is a monster.

But I would never quit this business, like Leader said, we can type ourselves raises whenever we want. This business has been very good to me. I still have my regular job but I don't need it. I'm probably making more money than the CEO. I'm just to afraid to quit right now because this is all new for me. Been making commissions since about June. I'm always scared it'll stop and I'll be broke again. It just all feels like a dream. My goal is to buy my dreamhome which I'm saving for. Set goals Lisa and strive for them. Then that'll make it all seem worthwhile. Get ya self the new car or house, or clothes, or jewelry. Hell -take a vacation. But don't quit. I just brought myself a pair of 1/2 carat diamond earrings for my 30th birthday. I brought a Nordic Track Pro Skier too, but my boyfriend asked me to send it back, he said it was a waste of money and I'd never use it. He was right. LOL!! But I hope oneday we all get to meet or have a retreat or something. That would be so fun.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

ABW Ambassador
    Good Lordie Leader, LOL!!! I was scrolling down and was like wow I typed all that. Then saw the bold and realized it was from you. LOL!!! I love to chat and type but Leader you got me beat on that post. LOL!!! :eek: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lisa,

All I can say is ... Family always comes first! ... then friends (online first then offline [online ones are closer than some offline ones for over 20 years!]

Take a break ... It will all be there when you come back .... just smaller returns and needing attention ....

Always the best,

Haiko

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "But the urge to check stats and sales will always nag at you. The only time I can go without checking stats is when I'm not home.~Jada"

Yeah, I forgot about that. I did check my stats all the time last summer! But since I didn't actually DO anything (like make pages, etc.), I still count it as "chilling" in the summer...

As for not checking while away from home, I was fine during my short trip last summer--until I found an Internet Kiosk in a mall!!! It was hard not to keep going back there again and again, and I couldn't RESIST checking when I had those computers right in front of me!!! I did manage to avoid return trips to the mall, though.

So I think there's no escape for THAT addiction...But what a sweet kind of addiction!

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Sweet it is, but boy is it a strong addition. We need to join "Stat Checkers Annonymous". I won't click, if you don't click. LOL!!! :eek:

Leader - I went on vacation to this summer for 4 growling days. I couldn't wait to hit a computer. When I returned that is the first thang I did, checked my stats, then my phone messages. LOL!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa,
    Your Still Lucky.
    I'm Already gone Insane.... :rolleyes: :eek: [img]tongue.gif[/img] Now i need a break. When could i get one....When i sleep for my daily 6 hrs
    Thats all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Regards
    TGO

ABW Ambassador
    Wow !

Thank's for all the pep talks , I'm feeling better allready. I guess it's true , I am "one of us " now, and there is no going back !

I guess I burnt myself out by trying to do too many things at once this week, and not really accomplishing anything.
    Can you understand my frustration , this has been the past week for me...

After my cousin (my webhost ) told me flat out this past weekend to just build more sites all ready, and he would happily host as many as I want for free, and when I'm making 10,000 a month, I can start paying him for hosting.

Bought 2 more domains... started working on those ...

Figured I could get some traffic going to the coupons site by re-activating an old advertiser program at Clickxchange (so far, no affiliate requests)....

Realized , that site needs a re-do with a seperate page for every store , and more content , so that task is now nagging at my brain...

Painted my upstairs bathroom ....

Started thinking...maybe I'll promote the freebies site with Clickxchange instead, got lots of request with that site the last time around ....

Deactivated the advertiser account with ClickxChange , and started a total re-do of the coupon/shopping site....

Have so many half-done webpages and images on my hard drive , I don't know where to start first ....

Said screw it ....
    I put up the Christmas tree....

Grrr... Going to chill out this weekend and work on one thing at a time next week ... I'll be okay [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lisa

Lisa - Everyone is right... Don't give up! Just take a vacation. A few days away from a computer with friends/family to just relax.
    I know about the checking my stats thing. I do it as well. It's kind of like Christmas when your a child. You run up to the Tree (affiliate account) and hope that there are goodies under it...
    When I went on vacation to Minneapolis recently I couldn't resist stopping at the Mall Internet Kiosk to check my stats. After all it had been 24 hours. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hang in there... Take a few days off. As Haiko said, "family comes first."

Core

ABW Ambassador
    And Lisa - Set yourself up a Goals List for every month. I do the same, I have several half done sites that are still sitting on the back burner. They are mainly all huge sites that I just get tired of working on. I know I hate building big sites, 20+ pages, I don't even know why I ever try too. I always start on a smaller site in the middle of them and get those finished in no time. But just work on one site at a time and check them off your Goals List as you finish them. Then that way at the end of each month you'll feel like you've accomplished something. Of course I designed about 3 new smaller sites in November that weren't even on my goals list and the larger sites still remain on there for this month. (That's not good, but I hate building big sites). LOL!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I went on holiday for four weeks in the summer, and during that time I had about an hour online, at a hotel. Of course the first thing I checked was all my stats. I made a page with links to all my login pages. Handy!

I thought I'd go through web withdrawal or something when we went camping, but I was surprised at how easy it was to just walk away.

Of course five minutes after I was home I was online again, with a bunch of dead merchant links to clean up -- lots can happen in a month!

Elisabeth Archambault

give someone your modem lead, ask them to let you use it 2 days a week
    --
    problem with 'normal' jobs is you dont just have to do the job, you have to pretend that you love the job too

Some nights I can't even sleep cuz the ideas are running around the cranium so loudly:
    "Put up the ppc ads on the new pages", "Get some more poster pages made", "link these themed sites together.." and on and on.

I get up in the morning and hit the puter running. When my girls come home at 1:00 pm, I turn off the puter and have lunch with them. I do laundry, dishes, talk to them, work on their homework, etc.. Get dinner made, do homework with my son or read to them or play a game. By the time I'm really fed up with all this, I turn on the computer when they go to bed, and bwahahahhahahahaha, turn into GeekMom!

Well, seriously, I also take the most part of my weekend "off", only checking stats (maybe there really should be a stat checking anon club). I'm confidant about getting to that 10k$ goal, too, but it can take its time. I gave up working full time a long time ago, even before marriage and kids. I had switched to part time lab work, since I just couldn't rationalize spending my life at a job. The web work is far more fun, but I still value my loved ones more than the commissions (oh, please don't let cj hear me!!).

We all seem to have one thing in common...the spirit of entrepreneurship (just like Bill Gates [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This "job" can be a hell of a lot of work, especially at the beginning, gettting sites up, figuring out which merchants convert and pay, etc. But once it's on its way, it's definitely worth it. The money is good. No boss to please (except the great Google) and no commute, etc. Stick with it and it will prove to be very worth all the work you are doing. I've finally gotten to the point where I can take time off when I want, go shopping during the middle of the day if I want, sleep in however late I want, etc. Beats the 9 to 5 routine anyday!

I like the fact the computer has never grabbed my ass then fired me when I thumped it. I reckon thats the best thing.

f

Hey francis. You cannot beat the English sense of humor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If your uppercut is as half as powerful as your postings I sure would not like one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah we do all have alot in common. Webmistress - Your dreams can come true of making 10K a month - Believe me when I tell you. I too am a mother, single mom of two. And I am making all my dreams come true with affiliate marketing. I have been blessed beyond my wildest dreams.

But I can understand about the racing thoughts at night. It was so bad at one point that I couldn't even sleep. I was waking up at like 3 am and working until 5 am then going back to bed until 7 am to get up for work. I still have my full-time job. I am not the type to just stay home and work - I'd go crazy. So my full-time job is my outlet for socialization so ta speak. LOL!!

But now I just get up and jot the stuff down on paper. I get all these mastermind ideas at night. Some of my most profitable sites were transformed at 3 am. LOL!!

It is wonderful working in affiate marketing. I love it!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Actually, I'm really aiming for $40k/month [img]tongue.gif[/img] But I dont' want to sound too greedy. :eek:

ARgggh, new idea took hours of my day and energy, but it looks good! I have friends tired of calling and getting my voice mail. A few more months and I just gotta get DSL.

ABW Ambassador
    webmistress
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Some nights I can't even sleep cuz the ideas are running around the cranium so loudly:
    "Put up the ppc ads on the new pages", "Get some more poster pages made", "link these themed sites together.." and on and on. </pre>
    My Gosh you sound like me! I figure I would have this made if I could get about 5 people for a month, have a bank of computers set up. Give everyone one job to do! I can picture myself running from computer to computer saying wait! I just thought of something else. My butt is sore, my knees are aching, my head is throbbing, my eyes are blurry! But I am not giving up! I've started to limit myself to a certain amount of hours for working on the pages. I figure Rome wasn't built in a day, so what the heck I make my money a little slower. And like you I would sure love to have a "cable hookup" imagine how much faster you could get a lot of the work done. So scooch over WebMistress and Jada, one of these days I will be right there with you.
    Cazzie

Don't stress so much guys! Never forget YOU are the boss! Take a long lunch out with a friend, or see a movie in the middle of the day......, by doing a little something every now and then that you could never do punching a time clock - you will appreciate all the time and energy you invest!

Personally, I've had good jobs and bad, I've been a single mom struggling to feed my kid and a married stay-at-home mom feeling like crap because my husband had all the financial responsibility,- and I would never go back to anything other than what I am doing now.

I just get a high out of every sale and love when Google updates every month - I remind myself of the gambler at the track who's bet the rent money on his horse....., <Will I win, place, show, or lose for the month!> I know I could never go back to a "real" job!

VLink, I worked outside of my home up until two years ago. At first I was worried I'd miss "going out" to work. At first I worried about the fact that it took me lots longer to make money than I had figured and hubby shouldered all the financial burden of the house. But I've been the one to put him through courses or wait until a new job starts paying before, so he was very patient and encouraging. And guess what, I DON'T MISS WORKING OUTSIDE MY HOME!!! It's fun, even. I'm home when my kids arrive, I can put up a pot of rice in the rice cooker while I'm pausing on a download or upload, I can fold laundry while I ponder the next page, it' GREAT. If my kids, heaven forbid, are sick a day, no pressure that I can't get into the lab that day. No lab to have to run to! Yeah!

I think Jada is smart not to give up the long term stability of a FT job, but for those of us who wouldn't take that route anyway for one reason or another, this is the greatest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can put up a pot of rice in the rice cooker while I'm pausing on a download or upload, I can fold laundry while I ponder the next page, it' GREAT. If my kids, heaven forbid, are sick a day, no pressure that I can't get into the lab that day<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So True! Not to mention we don't have to beg for a half day off to see our children's school play, take them to the Dentist, or anything else. And when I have been working soo hard I've forgotten to start dinner, there's always take-out.

I like being accountable to myself. That is one thing we all have in common too.

There are people who couldn't do what we do because they lack the ability to set goals and motivate themselves to achieve them. Thank goodness I am highly motivated by GREED [img]tongue.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast