ABW Ambassador
    Okay - aside from me being sick, my ass hurts too. My tailbone is still hurting for like 6 months now. I brought a really good chair and everything. It feels ok sometimes and then I start sitting on it again and then it starts hurting again like it's nobody's business.

Anyone have this problem - I know it's from working on this freakin computer too much. Because I didn't fall or anything like that.

Jada,

Of all of the things we could have in commom, why did it have to be this? My lower back, near my tailbone has been sore as of late. I really don't know why. I have a good chair at home (it's a year old but it's comfortable) and a REALLY good one at work. I even exercise daily...
    Maybe it's time for a new chair at home?

I don't want to suffer from Affiliate Ass Syndrome for the rest of my life! :rolleyes:

Core

ABW Ambassador
    Core I am so pissed - I just typed you a big long message and hit a wrong key and poof - it disapeared. UGGGhhhhhhh!!!

Anyway I was saying I thought I had a good chair too until I started sitting in it 10-20 hours a week. Then within 2 months I had major tailbone issues.

My doctor said it could take up to 1 year to heal if ever. The best thing to do is to try and sit up straight and stay off the tailbone. For me it's difficult because I like to just lounge in my chair. Fancy term for slouching. Ask your doctor about Naproxine - it's an inflammatory drug and it seemed to help me while I was on it.

Better luck to you Core - May our asses stop hurting and we continue to have a prosperous New Year. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Core and Jada, I've found a really good way to take pressure off your tailbone...
    sit with one leg tucked under, of course then you'll end up with back or hip problems like I did!
    I have 3 different types of chairs I rotate, but still after 15-16 hours,nothing works except taking a break every couple of hours stretching and walking.
    I know it's easy to say, and I rarely do it but after 4 months with back and hip pain earlier this year it really is an issue of concern for all of us.

The things that bother me are just getting a stiff kind of feeling after sitting so long and also carpo tunnel in my hands. The best thing is to just take a break, go for a walk.

lol, on the affiliate a$$ syndrome -- everyone gets an affiliate purple heart, but where to pin it??? lol :eek:

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I did manage to get my tailbone to stop hurting after a few weeks by sitting forward in a position that's uncomfortable. At least it doesn't hurt but I'd sure like to be able to sit back and relax!

But now instead of my tailbone hurting it's my lower back/upper a$$. It's fine until I actually try to walk anywhere further than a few steps, then the muscles cramp up! Agh!! I think it'll take months of exercises to make those muscles stop that...

Vicki, I think that purple heart would be better as a patch that could be sewn onto--where else--the seats of our pants!

Jada, I discovered the other day that sometimes disappeared messages can be recovered by right-clicking within the msg. field and hitting "undo"--that undoes whatever deleted the msg. and there it is again!

ABW Ambassador
    I have the same problems also. Don't laugh but I was thinking about trying those inflatable pillow or tubes that people with hemmoroids use. If you think about it, it may relieve some of the pressure.
    Cazzie

Gotta love the coccyx... it is actually the ruminants of our tailbone (Darwinism [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

I spend over 15 hrs a day online ... and have NO idea how you "Desktopers" do it!

Thinkpad all the way here (I'm on my Den Couch as I type this) never had a bad back and never will! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you "must" be on a Desktop I suggest those Norwegian [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] chairs to save your back and work on your posture.

Haiko
    PS I am an IBM affiliate .... I'll give you a link if you want to "save" your @sses [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>after a few weeks by sitting forward in a position <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been around long enough to pass over some personal experience: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

1) Sitting forward will only force your center of gravity into your spine and back. If you have to, stand, with your feet apart, firmly planted on the floor. You can get a special stand for your keyboard/monitor to bring them up to standing level. Did this for about a year.

2) You may want to check out an ergonomic chair. You actually don't sit in it, you kneel. There is a butt supporter, but it's very small, and some come with a chest support. Takes a while to get used to, but it'll take the pressure off your back and back side.

3) Get a laptop. You can actually get quite a decent one on the after-market. A couple of pounds of computer will allow you to move around more, lie down, sit up, stand, etc.

One of the problems that I ran in to constantly was my users complaining about back pain, arm pain, neck pain, etc. Most of it was actually poor posture, or they moved the keyboard/monitor to a position that they thought would be easier to use. You should have a chair with a non-movable back on it, preferably one without wheels. To find out where your keyboard level should be, put your elbows on your sides and stick your arms straight out, parallel to the floor. Your monitor should be basically eye-level, (which sorta won't work with a laptop)... I've seen some monitors with a couple of phone books under them to raise them up.

If the pain persists, and nothing you do will alleviate the pain, then you don't have too many options.

CodeJockey.

??????
    Have I come to Abestweb or a Gay Pride Association [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I to have the same problems, I to like Leader have to sit in an uncomfortable position to alleviate (big word) the pain.

Is this where that famous American saying "A Pain in The But" came from? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I have an ergonomic chair and even they're uncomfortable after 6 hours straight and I could never do 15 to 16 hours in it!

A laptop, how do you get on designing websites sitting on the couch?
    I can see the coffee table littered with notes,books, software, coffee cups and assorted essential stuff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm so glad you all understand this, when I tried to explain to my Doctor, he looked at me very strangly and then gave me the "one hour at a time on the computer" speech.
    Then I tried to explain and hour is nothing It can sometimes take an hour just to check the stats!
    Then he proceeded to tell me about a friend of his a "top surgeon" who has given up his work and is just surfing the web, and added, he's addicted!
    Personally I think it's highly unlikely his mate is just surfing, he's probably doing what we're doing lol!

CodeJockey, thanks for the ideas, but STANDING would be some of the purest torture I could put myself through! And my knees protest at the thought of kneeling...they haven't been the same since I twisted one (I think I ripped some ligaments) a few years back.

I can see the physics of what you're saying about the force concentrating in the back and butt from leaning forward, but when I lean back (so my tailbone's hitting the chair) it's a major problem. The bone(s) seem okay as long as I don't lean back on it...

The idea of sticking a couple of phone books under the monitor sounds good--I AM looking at a slight downward angle. And a chair that doesn't tend to move backwards (no wheels) might be good after all...

Mousejockey, are you saying you manage to keep all that "essential stuff" off your DESK?? (Mine is covered in that sort of thing...)

Haiko, how on Earth can you get a decent posture on the couch? I could see ending up stiffer than heck that way, even worse than now! Unless you have something high enough to set the laptop on, you'd have to be all hunched over to reach it, I would think...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you have to, stand<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O.k... so I was kinda vague. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I was trying to point out that there were 'alternatives' to sitting and pounding away. I actually hurt my back and couldn't sit for more than five minutes in a row. (Fell off a ladder.) Until it got better, I alternated between pain and standing. Company was quite good about it.

I always got strange looks when I was working because my 'normal' method of working was/is sitting with my feet up on my desk, keyboard in my lap, cushion in the small of my back so most of my back is supported.

I also see that Haiko and I have some common work habits: I also use a ThinkPad and I'm finding myself using it more than my desktop lately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>can you get a decent posture on the couch<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a matter of posture, imo, it's a matter of support. A couch with pillows gives your backside a lot more support than a chair does. The downside is that if you're lying down on a couch, and it's warm, and you're tired, you're gone to SnoozeLand. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's a difficult problem to deal with because most doctors will give you the 'one-hour' speech. It's an occupational hazard, but if you plan on continuing in the business, you have to find yourself a cure or at least a method of minimizing the impact.

CodeJockey.

You are right CodeJockey "we need to find a cure or at least a method of minimizing the impact"

Room for someone to come up with the perfect computer chair?

Leader, there are days when I can't find the mouse on the desk and the coffee table more often then not is littered with half baked future projects [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I find it helps to change the chair I'm sitting on partway through the day. It makes a bit of a change to spread out the stresses -- kind of like how serious runners have several pairs of shoes that they alternate for training.

It also helps to simply get up and go do something else for a while. You can do a lot of productive thinking when you go walking for an hour, for example.

Re clutter: my office (one of the bedrooms) usually looks like a burglar has just rifled through everything. It's made even worse by the fact that all my sewing stuff is in the same room. When company comes I simply close the door!

Elisabeth Archambault

Did you say taliban problems?

What you might want to consider is one of those inflatable rubber rings, like the ones kids use to learn how to swim. You might get some funny looks from people though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I wish I could complain of tailbone aches and pains like the rest of you, but my problem is much deeper than that...
    I am slowly but surely developing a big ,fat butt from lack of exercise and sitting at this computer too much .

Time to break out the old Rick James CD and start the heavy duty workouts .

I don't know what's happening to me ...
    I used to be a "Brick House ", but now,
    I just live in one with my fat arse .
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lisa

That arse may be what's protecting your tailbone!

Funny, the padding on my own butt didn't help ME any...

Anyway, yup, exercise seems to be the only thing that'll help that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] At least your butt isn't hurting you and the fix is relatively easy!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread