ABW Ambassador
    After a hectic painful week, My family has learned that our mother is dying. This is not a plea to hear how sorry you are for me and my family but it was a reminder to me to share something special and important.
    3 years ago my mother was diagnosed with aortic anneuysms. We went to our local teaching hospital in Stonybrook Ny and were advised that the only thing that they could do for her was a drastic operation and that there was a chance she would not not survive the surgery or that it would be very hard on her and take months to recuperate. My sister and I didn't like what we heard and we hit the internet! There we found the most wonderful doctor and hospital who where pioneering new procedures. They did this new surgery on my Mom and it was a success, they were able to repair 2 out of 3 anneurysms. And the third one would be taken care of when it became larger as it was in a difficult spot to repair. Our family and of course my mother could not be happier with the results. Then I started to think about how hard it was to find this type of doctor, hospital and new proceedures that I created my very first web site and left notices on the message health boards that AOL has. Amazingly people contacted me and 2 people that I know of have had the surgery and are living and healthy now. The doctor sent me emails telling me how through my web page we virtually saved 2 lives!Getting to the end of the story.
    My sister and I have been up at the hospital all week and we met many people and patients. One girl may have to have both her legs amputated. My sister asked me to go back to the site we found as they offer advanced treatments for the problem this patient is having. This morning I went to the site to print out all the information for this girl. When we gave it to her she broke down and thanked us so profusely. Hopefully they can help her. The biggest surprise of all was on the hospital site is a link to my little rinky dinky web site I made in tribute to the surgeon Dr. Oki! This stunned me and when I told my mom she was so happy to learn that her experience is helping others! So now I would like to pass on this information to everyone here. You may never need this type of service but you may know someone who does. It is unfortunate that many hospitals for whatever reason do not know about it or do not make referrals and in honor of my mother we would both love to be able to help another person! http://www.mmc.vasculardomain.com/ http://members.aol.com/cdefil6132/dr_ohki.html
    Cazzie

Oh! Cazzie what a wonderful story and what a beautiful and lasting way to honor your mom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    It must give her much pleasure and she must be so proud of you and your sister [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Isn't this what we were told the Internet would be when it first came along? A source of information that could be shared worldwide.
    It's heartening to hear of stories like yours Cazzie, although sad because of the circumstances that it was born under.
    We will remember your family in our prayers.

ABW Ambassador
    Cazzie,
    I hope your mother will recover well. She is lucky to have daughter like you.

You won't believe this, but just a few weeks ago, I was searching the internet for information on procedures for a brain Aneurysm . My 81 year old mother in law , was suspected of having one about 3/4 inch in size . That is NOT a good size for a brain aneurysm , and more like a time bomb !

It wasn't looking too good for her for a while, and she was sick to death just thinking about the surgery she would have to go through, her family, etc.

My three sister in laws were all thinking the worst,talking about who is going to take care of "DAD", that kind of thing. My husband swore his mom was not going to die yet, and the doctors are wrong.

Turned out a week later, he was right . After a bunch of tests and the MRI results, the doctors said it was a non- cancerous tumor, and not an aneurysm . They are going to just leave it alone, given her age, and maybe shrink it , if it gets any bigger.

Anyway, what I am getting to ...
    I really expected to find instant, detailed information online about the risks of surgery , types of surgery, expected outcome, etc.
    It just was not that easy to find , and I had to jump from site to site , to pick up bits and pieces of info.

I thought then, this is a real shame ... Something this important, you have to really "search" for it, but type in "freebies ", and thousands of results come up.

I almost felt a duty to change that, and leave for the next person searching for the same thing , a small resource page, even if just a list of links to the information I was able to find.

These are the things that sometimes, make me want to forget all about trying to make money online, and instead, try to help re-build the "information highway" that it was intended to be .

Lisa

Lisa absolutely right! This is one of the many reasons why search engines must not just be a list of paid ads. Some compromise needs to be reached between the content sites and the revenue producing sites. There MUST be accommodation on both sides.

cazzie, I am truly sorry. I know just how you feel and my heart is with you. I just charged and lit a round yellow candle dressed with patchouli oil for you and your family.

Yellow..fulfilling desires
    Round (Circle)...ultimate protection
    patchouli oil..Banishing, Releasing

Visualize the flame. It dosen't matter if we are in the same time or not or whether the candle is still lit when you read this.

I hope it helps. I wish I could do more.

Blessed Be

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa
    That is why I posted the web sites. It took us about 2 days of searching before we found the site. If it can help just one person it is worth it. I sincerely hope the members of Abest web will look the site I posted and just tuck it away in the back of their minds and pass along the information. You never know if you, family or friends will need it in the future. And amazingly so many patients go to Montifore from other countries as well. I truly feel the internet is a wonderful thing and can help so many! So yes we want to make money but lets not forget to pass along the important things in life also. Lisa they also do advanced treatments with brain anneurysms and I think it would be a great idea to make your small resource page, you may never know who you help but you will help someone.
    I thank you all for your compassion and caring and to SSanf for the candle.
    All I ask from God at this time, if he is going to take her from us he does it quickly,and painlessly!
    Thank you all
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Great Job Cazzie

Regards
    TGO

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Hey Cazzie thats great you can help some one like that.

Not gonna elaborate on anything here but last year I had to do some research and find out some things about a medical problem. Make your site to help people out through their the difficult times. Make it an inspiration and reason for people to have faith and pull them through during their times of need. Because I know it can mean a great deal to the people looking for answers.
    Until you go through something you can never really know when a few proper words will make the difference. Here is hoping your site will make that difference.
    WW

You page wasn't coming up right now, Cazzie, but I took a look at the hospital page. My dad had an aortic aneurism surgery about two years ago. One of the really good results was that he decided to retire early. Only a couple of years early, but enough to have some time to enjoy life!

I've been spending too many hours this year looking up information on bone marrow transplants and other information for a friend of mine. Luckily, most of the information has been easy to find, or with the help of Google, reasonable to find once I find the right keywords. It has often calmed her, or helped her have some confidence in the docs, or helped her make a decision just to have more information.

May your mother's memory be blessed with the extra merit from helping others find their messenger of health.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread