Taking the wife and kids to Lancaster tonight to spend the weekend in Amish Country. We actually have a family party to go to in the area on Sunday sowe decided to make a weekend out of it.

We are staying in Lancaster. Anyone have any good advice on attractions/places to go. My kids are young elementary school age.

Also, I' driving down from NY via the NJ turnpike. Mapquest says to take the NJ tpke to the PA tpke, Yahoo says to use US1 to cut across. Anyone know which is quicker?

I went there years ago when I lived in England so I guess it will have changed somewhat by now. All I can say is it is a great place to see, also take plenty of candles [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Just got back.

-Don't ever bother going there. It's all commercialized now. The roads are all paved, and a good percentage of the tourist destinations are owned by Arab, Indian, & Chinese businessmen, not the Amish. It's the worst tourist trap I have ever seen!

ABW Ambassador
    Seaslug, I am so sorry I didn't see this thread in time. I live only 1/2 hour from the start of Pa Dutch Country & 1 hour from Lancaster. (Lived there once) I could have told you where to go and what to see.

One of my favorite little towns is Intercourse, it's the quaintest little place you ever wanna see! And if you missed the "Shady Maple Smorgassboard" which is near Blue Ball (Don't you love these names) you missed the best Buffet this side of the Mississippi!

Oh well, let me know if you ever get back this way!

LOL at "the road are all paved" ... that made me giggle [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] - if you want see dirt roads and an uncommercialized (to an extent) Amish population you should've kept driving over to Western PA, which is where I'm from.... and yes, there are still dirt roads, not many but a few [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ... and covered bridges also! and roadside stands ran by the Amish with vegatables and baked goods -- all this less than a mile from my hometown [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ...

I wish I would've saw this thread before you went - I would've suggested a side trip to Hershey (great little town) and if you want to see some great countryside, take the backroads from there to Reading... there are TONS of antique shops and malls around Lancaster, Harrisburg, Hershey and Reading and lots of "backroads" (not the turnpike) that are very unpopulated - although again, the roads are paved [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] - and the PA turnpike has an extension that runs from the Poconos south that's a nice shortcut also... And around Lancaster's outskirts you'll find many small, quaint towns are not quite so commercialized ... Gettysburg is also a nice place to visit, and very historical

I'm not sure what you were expecting to find, but that area of PA is some gorgeous country if you ask me, sorry you were disappointed...

and a P.S. - the Amish (that I know) are a self-providing religious sect. Where I lived that didn't own business that were "tourist attractions" like you described ... and, the Amish that I know don't really appreciate the tourists who stop and "gawk" at them and try to take pictures (against their religion) ... they're really no different from you and I, but their strong religious beliefs are why they live like they do - without electric and the "simple and basic" way ... the tourism was started by the "English" but that has never meant that the Amish appreciate it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the tourism was started by the "English" but that has never meant that the Amish appreciate it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That must have been Gordon with his candles. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

@ Guffy

I went there when I was younger I took my fancy sleepingbag with me, where do you think they got the idea of quilting from? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    where do you think they got the idea of quilting from? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't realize you were *THAT* old! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hello!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread