Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Two days left until the domain expires for the freebies site I am now sick and tired of .

Part of me wants to let it go , and just let it expire, but the other half is telling me :
    "Renew the domain before it expires , you moron ... It is making money , what are you stupid ?

If I keep it, I will probably stay right where I am , making anywhere from $600 - $1000 a month (depending on ad campaigns that come and go, and the amount of forced effort on my part)

What to do ? Can anyone understand where I'm coming from ?
    I think I know myself fairly well enough to know that if i dump it, that old "hunger" that I had with that first site at one time will be revived again, and I will somehow find the time and motivation to build that new site that's on my brain, and even bring back one site that I totally abandoned after building it , and it started making sales (now dropped out of google completely)

I'll be out of an income all together if I do drop the freebies site , for a while anyway .

Does anyone out there understand ?

I don't have much time on the computer as my 2 1/2 year old daughter is a real handfull , and I have to devote my "day" time to her, my afternoons are shot with my 11 year old son and his little "gang" of skateboarding buddies , etc., and the rest of my time goes to cooking/cleaning/ blah, blah, blah .

Unless I do the "pot of coffee thing" at around 10:00 p.m. everynight when the family goes to sleep (which I don't want to resort back to ),
    I just don't have time to build/maintain new sites and be bothered with keeping up with the " freebies" on the internet also .

What should I do ? Should I "give it up" , and start all over again , or just find more time somehow and keep the darned pain in my butt freebies site ?

It turns my stomache when I think about two perfectly good domains that I own and "could" be doing something with .
    One of them is allready built, and just needs a real good update , some new pages , some paid advertising, and re-submitting, etc.

(I lost the effort for it soon after Sept. 11th )

Boy, am I stupid , or what ?

Any good advice other than "give it up completely " would be greatly appreciated, because I will never "completely" give up, it's just not in my blood to do so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lisa

Lisa,

Unless your willing to dedicate time, money and tears into another project (to occupy you after the loss of the site) ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Renew the domain before it expires , you moron ... It is making money , what are you stupid ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    If $600 - $1000 a month is worth the amount of forced effort and time you put into it..

I'd keep it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll be out of an income all together if I do drop the freebies site<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you considered using the income to finance some child care (I realise it's not everyones ideal situation) and then use the time to build more low maintenance sites. Once built, it will then be time to reconsider droping the freebies site and go back to being a full time mum.

ABW Ambassador
    You have my vote to keep it!

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm... That's kind of what I was expecting for advice . Dumb thinking I guess, throwing away money ... no matter how much it is .

I guess I better head over to the Price Club and get the biggest can of coffee they sell, because I do have that "itch" to build those sites I started, and I guess there is no other way for me .

Who ever said this was an "easy" way to make money forgot to mention a few things - like the time it really does take , and "making money in your sleep" really only happens in your dreams - it takes a lot of work too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks Haiko, and all ... you are all right , I guess :confused: .

Lisa

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Lisa ]

ABW Ambassador
    Keep the site, perhaps spend a little less time on it, and build your other domain. Update every other day instead of everyday.

It's providing income, that you can spend on building a new site and promoting it.

I have a 3 year old at home too, and a 6 year old. I do quality time too, not all day every day things. We read books, they help me outside, I take them for ice cream. We go for walks....

Perhaps move your daughters toys into your office. This way she's with you and you won't worry about her so much. Or move your computer to where the toys/or t.v is.

Give your 11 year some house cleaning chores. Make him be responsible for some small things. Putting dishes in the dishwasher, and turning it on. Rounding up clothes in the Am. before school. Mowing the lawn.

When cooking think big. Big pots of stews, chili, home made soups, and freeze left overs.

How much time do you think you need in the day? My goal is close to 6 hours per day. Sometimes I fit in 8.

My daughter goes to Pre-shool for 3 years old for two hours in the Am 3 days a week, My son is in Kindergarten. so this gives me 2 hours in the am a few times a week. and I work nightly for 4 hours, and sometimes when it works out an hour or two in the afternoon. although I never seem to get anything really accomplished because I'm running and checking on kids, their fights, etc,

How I divide my day is when they watch cartoons in the Am, I work. And if they are busy playing by themselves I sneak in abit of work. My kids are fairly close in age. 3//3/4 and 6. so they keep each other amused alot of the time.

When hubby's home, I tend to work more, he's a t.v buff, and I'm not, so he can wrestle kids....He'll tell me when he wants my attention. He wants me to do well, and doesn't complain of my time on the computer, because he knows time and effort equals money, and that he want to find a new line of work and go back to school. And I'll be the bread winner one day.

I do the most at night. Kids are in bed at 8:00 and I work till 11-12 every night.

Housework: is last in my books. I just hired a lady to come in for a few hours every week, to get the bigger jobs done, that I haven't found time to do.

You could also buy a new domain, and just make one page a day. This shouldn't take to much time. 1/2-hour.

Freebie sites are in need of updating daily. Create a new site with little or no updating. This will take off some stress as well. But keep the site.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, keep it. Letting it gradually die of neglect while you work on other sites is one thing, but don't murder it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I keep it, I will probably stay right where I am , making anywhere from $600 - $1000 a month <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the rent! Keep it!

But, speaking in terms of ROI (metaphysically as well) -it depends on just *how* much time/effort you are talking about. If your putting time and effort into the freebie site is keeping you from putting time/effort into a more profitable venture, if it is really that much of a drudge, if you loathe it that much let it go and make room for something you enjoy that brings in more $$$.

Or you could sell the whole dang thang.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

I'll play Fred...

Tell you what, I'll do you a big favor. Go ahead and give it to me as you are right, you just don't have time for it. I'll do what I can with it and give you 10% of the profit after expenses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keep It !

Lisa,

I would say keep it! It is getting traffic and action. Keep it, build another site, and direct the traffic from your freebie to your new site! Instant traffic!

ABW Ambassador
    Eaglefire -

"That's the rent! Keep it!"

LOL ... I WISH , but that's BARELY the house tax .
    I'm in Nassau County, New York here - The property tax capitol of the USA !
    We are soon going to be paying close to $8,000 per year with the latest tax increase - JUST FOR TAXES on the freakin house !

All the more reason you are all so right , and I better hang on to that site .

Thanks Canfree, I can see you understand where I'm coming from , you can only stretch yourself so far . Cleaning - I have no choice , but the cooking situation is going to change , I just can't do it all , and I'm on a straight course to getting nowhere unless I make some changes .

thanks again ,

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll play Fred... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL Looked good for a while
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>give you 10% <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not so good now. Sorry Fred, but you probably would have only offered 5% and changed it to an MLM site

Since it seems your kids are important(as they should be) think of what that extra income can do to help them. Buy them some new toys, or put some $ away for their future.
    With my travel schedule I get burnout from too many miles on the highway, as it seems with you having burnout working on your site. This is when it is time to break away from routine and do things away from normal to refresh yourself.
    My recommendation is renew the domain, but sit tight, enjoy the summer with the kids. Life is short, enjoy it with the kids.
    While not updating it as much may cause a bit of earnings drop, by time you are refreshed you can go at it full steam ahead again. If by that time you don't want to, only then look at selling.

WW

Ok, since Tribune is playing Fred here, I'll try to play Leader (yeah right I wish) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Keep it - but don't sweat it. "

Did I get that right?

Seriously though, I do think you should keep it, but treat as a more passive income. I'm sure you can back off it a bit and still have it bring in money. Put the bulk of your time and effort into the new project(s).

ABW Ambassador
    As someone who knows the world of "making money" from a "free" site, KEEP IT.

Let it die of neglect while you build more profitable sites, but keep it.

And then use it to boost the PR of your profit site(s). You freebie visitors may be lousy traffic to send to an ecomm site, but if the page has any kind of PR, link it to your newly built ecomm sites and the freebie site will start earning a living by boosting the PR of your ecomm sites. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It's hard to let a site die of neglect, but it can be done. And what might surprise you (did me), some sites refuse to die. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush -- keep it!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Eaglefire, nice try but too brief!

Lisa--
    First of all, keep it or sell it, but don't just let it go unrenewed. A site that's making money is also worth money to a buyer! So if you do decide to close it, SELL but don't just "let it die".

Second:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Who ever said this was an "easy" way to make money forgot to mention a few things - like the time it really does take , and "making money in your sleep" really only happens in your dreams - it takes a lot of work too ~Lisa<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*I* didn't "forget to mention" anything! But you seem to have forgotten that not every site is a w*rk-eating freebies site!

It is entirely possible to make money in your sleep, with LITTLE work. I wake up almost every day to find more sales have arrived. And I certainly am NOT doing "a lot" of work!! Doing a lot of work would defeat the purpose of having sites!!!

There is no "need" to do a lot of work "to make money" on the Net. If you "need" to do a lot of work to maintain a freebies site--that is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from doing a lot of work TO MAKE MONEY!

It's fairly simple to make money on the net without "a lot" of work: Just set up a site that people only come to when they want the items you already have. Do NOT "update"!!! Do NOT spoil your visitors with any specials or other time-limited, work-causing stuff.

Once it's well-ranked in the SEs, you should make money IN YOUR SLEEP unless you wake up at some idiot time in the morning, in which case you'd have to wait a couple of hours longer before the sales roll in.

All labor is directed toward Growth (unless a merchant dies which forces an update). Not w*rking, with the right kind of sites, only means that earnings will stay the same that month instead of getting bigger.

Of course, freebies sites aren't run that way. But the answer to how to make money in your sleep without doing much work is NOT "run a freebies site".

Nonetheless, you seem to like that w*rk-causing freebies site so you should probably keep it.

I knew Leader's post would consist of multiple four letter word references [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"W*RK"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Perhaps I should have used some euphemism instead. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Nonetheless, very little of "IT" (the W word) is necessary to make money while sleeping, with the right kind of a site and proper setup.

ABW Ambassador
    dump it to the highest bidder.

I'm w/Leader on this one. If you want to make money....build other kinds of sites. If you want to work your tail off to appease the freebie hunters and make a small % of what you would make with sales pages then keep it.

Leader,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>w*rk<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would appreciate it if you could refrain from using that word again as I find it very offensive. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    What's the PR of the site?

could you cut the maintenance down to a day or two a month.. then stick to that and put your effort into a new site?

ABW Ambassador
    LOL at Leader, you crack me up !
    I know what you are saying, I really, really do .

Thing is , I started with that darn site because I didn't know what else to build a site about at the time - and it's just like a nagging , annoying pest on my machine now that kind of keeps me from doing what I KNOW I must do to earn any real money .

What P's me off is that now I know how put up targeted sales pages , get traffic to it , and makes sales - and I'm doing the opposite - putzing around with stupid freebies from Purina, etc !

You won't believe how many NRG paintball guns I sold Christmas time thru Amazon with one little sales page I took maybe 2-3 hours on, and just FREE Google traffic . But that page would have never even got in, without my own linking to it from the freebies site.

To Cedric -" What's the PR of the site? "

Well, that green bar thingy on the Google toolbar is half full , as far as the eye can tell - for whatever that is really worth .

Yep Leader, I know what I have got to do , and it's time to let the freebies site die a slow and painfull death, but not before that monkey on my back pays me back for all that wasted time by getting other more profitable pages / sites into Google [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lisa

If you don't want it, sell it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast