A friend of mine told me that I was a nut.

AT: I'm going to redo the whole site.

Friend: Ah, you're making too much money and you don't want to make any more.

AT: Nope. I just want to put out something I like better.

Friend: No, you put out what people like to see.

AT: Sure, I want to put out something I like to see too. Besides, I don't know what other people like.

Friend: Hey, you said that you're not going to change it for a while.

AT: Yep, but that's was Saturday, and I changed my mind today (Sunday). Well, I'll back up the existing site, if the new one doesn't work, I use the old one again.

Friend: How long do you want to test it?

AT: A couple of weeks to a month.

Friend: It's a lot work just for a month.

AT: Nothing venture, nothing gain...

Friend: There must be something other people like about your site...

AT: But there are something I don't like to see... (hesitating)... it's really not bad at all, maybe I don't change it just yet.

When I came home from work last night, I blended the old and new designs together. Ummm... It's pretty good. Okay, I'll change it when I change it.

Right before I left work today, I got a stupid email from Marketing on budget vs. re-forecast. I don't want to get into the details. But guess what, sometimes I can be so fed up at work that actually motivates me to dive into my site to do a bunch of stuff.

Is this decision a good one? Let's hope... I'm going to log off and work. Yeah, very motivated, very motivated!

There's a big difference with cosmetic changes versus structural/content changes. Cosmetic changes is pretty much low risk.

Polish always makes a site look better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Cosmetic changes is pretty much low risk.~Dynamoo"

Um, actually... I've had varying results from cosmetic changes. Everything from WOWZERS-size increased conversions, to OMG--quick, where's the old version I saved?!!

What I would say is one of the old rules of anything computer-related. Make sure to save the original! That way you'll be safe.

"But guess what, sometimes I can be so fed up at work that actually motivates me to dive into my site to do a bunch of stuff~AT"

No surprise there!

I was actually thinking of the careful balance of c*ntent, meta keywords and that sort of thing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But yup.. Leader's advice is sound! However, I think I'm of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it mentality [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    A lot of ABW member sites basically are designed as landing pages for PPC traffic. Strangely some butt ugly ones serve the purpose of making that traffic exit quickly to a eye pleasing merchant site. Problem is you end up paying someone for traffic to that page with risk of covering your expense by non-converting merchants. Why worry if it's maKing a profit?? Because your forgetting to pick up your change on every transaction!

If your sales page and site were laid out with enough eye pleasing design and the merchant pre-sell and your hand picked selections saved shopper time ...THEY'D BOOKMARK your site or pages. That baby is FREE valuable repeat traffic. Merchants understand this ..so should affiliates. If your site doesn't deserve a bookmark in your own eyes ..change it over and over til you see traffic from bookmarks.

My site get very little attention since I work constently on new sites for web clients. Took me 10 days to make http://www.get-in2.com/sidewinder/ just to show the client how to outclass his competition. He liked the results and it will migrate to a hosted domain www.sidewinderblades.com. Important issue is the site was designed for and will evolve into a customer bookmark based upon feedback.

I suggested ( Hell I demanded) changes to Overstock.com for 5 months and even forwarded design recomendations. They had huge meaningless frames top and bottom with just a small window for product displays in the middle frame. Real sucky! They followed all my recommendations in Feb 2001 and addressed my 7 key reasons people don't buy online. Results were within 2 weeks of relaunching the site they tripled daily sales.

Always work on your site and solicite feedback from your visitors. Also have a damn sustainable purpose for justifying a bookmark. Even ugly old neglected EcomCity gets 18% of it's traffic from bookmarks.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Making your site look and function better is always a good thing. What you want to avoid when changing a design, is offending the people who currently love your design.

Amazon.com was smart, they emailed every single person who ever visited their site and asked them to view their new navigation bar and provide feedback first. It worked. They got great feedback, and when it was implemented, people knew what happened. Building relationships is a good thing with your customers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "If your sales page and site were laid out with enough eye pleasing design and the merchant pre-sell and your hand picked selections saved shopper time ...THEY'D BOOKMARK your site or pages.~Mike"

My old site gets its share of bookmarks.

The change this time was initially just cosmetic, then this wonderful idea of cross-promotion popped into my head. Early this year, I came up with a new idea, but instead of reformatting the site to incorporate the idea, I just did a quick okay work to it. That's why I finally decided to have 2 full time jobs again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Make sure to save the original! That way you'll be safe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Oh yes, I have learned it the hard way, and I back up everything and anything ever since. So far, the good news is that the results seemed to be better every time I make changes, no matter how big or small the changes are. But I don't want to speak too fast this time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I debated within myself many times, 'cause I know I can easily tweak it into failure. I CANNOT say that I'm successful, but I at least make enough to pay my mortgage from the only site. It's really good gravy, by no means the company will give me a raise like that. But then, I guess because my primary income is from the day job, it's still ok if the sales decline for any reason. Or perhaps it's my only site, that's why I'm bored with it so easily.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...THEY'D BOOKMARK your site or pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have my share of bookmarks too. But it seems like 95% of the sales are impulse buy; those who bookmark usually are people who buy high-ticket items. I wish I had more time to do the analysis, and carefully read my log.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What you want to avoid when changing a design, is offending the people who currently love your design.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Good point! In fact I have visitors wrote to me telling me that they *love* my site. No matter they're telling the truth or not, I like to hear that. Now, on the other hand, will I be offended if I don't change it? This is a tough call. No... it's not that tough now, 'cause I started the change last night already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Building relationships is a good thing with your customers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is the weakest part of me. I just like to make the site look good, tweak pages, play with keywords. Sure enough, I reply email to my visitors with valid questions or comments, but I don't even have newsletter. Unless I do the affiliate thing full time, otherwise I probably won't go that far. I figured I need to at least eat and sleep other than my day job and my site.

All, thanks for the input... wish me luck anyway.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread