Here's a new take on an old story..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Date: 18 Jul 2002 11:26:39 -0000
    Received: from unknown (212.96.2.82) by rediffmail.com via HTTP; 18 Jul 2002 11:26:39 -0000
    Reply-To: "ibrahim bada" <ibrahimbada@rediffmail.com>
    To: conrad@???????????.co.uk
    Subject: CAPITAL FLIGHT...............LONGMORE

ATTN; Conrad Longmore,

I am barrister Ibrahim Bada a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney to MR.PATRICK LONGMORE a national of your country, who used to work with shell development company in Nigeria. Here in after shall be referred to as my client On the 21st of April 1998, my client, his wife and their three children were involved in a car
    accident along sagbama express road. All occupants of the vehicle burnt to ashes.
    Ever since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives this has also proved unsuccessful.
    After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to track his Last name over the Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you.
    My client left a lot money in banks here as well as bought many other valuable properties worth millions of dollars.
    I have contacted you to reparate his money and
    properties before they get confiscated or the bank accounts declared unserviceable.
    I have all documents to this deposit and property all I require is your assistance to relocate especially his huge deposits.
    Your soonest response is anticipated.

Best regards,

Ibrahim Bada ESQ.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a scam listed here at F-Secure, but the fact that they've crossreferenced my name from some sort of spam list is interesting.

Incidentally, The Register is offering some quite cool looking 419 scam T-shirts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    My neighbors are got a very similar story. They even phoned them, they fell for it hook line and sinker, I told them yesterday chances are its a fraud, but I couldn't find another scam letter at all similar to it, and now thanks to you, I copied and emailed it to them, and called them not to pursue it, since I now have proof of the scam.

Canfree here's one I received today,
    show it to your neighbours, so they can understand the lengths these people will go to:
    PRESIDENT & C.E.O
    ATTN: SIR

Sorry at this
    perceived confusion or stress you may have receiving this letter from me,
    Since we have not known ourselves or met previously.
    Despite that, I am constrained to
    write you this letter because of the urgency of it.By way of self introduction, I am Mrs. FAITH Kobe, the wife of late Brigadier - Gen.Maxwell Kobe former ECOMOG ARMY COMMANDER [West African peacekeeping force
    in Sierra Leone] who died in the Sierra Leone civil disturbance
    [War].
    My three daughters and I are trapped in obnoxious custom and traditional norms.

We have suffered maltreatment and untold hardship in the hands of my late husband's family, simply because I did not bear a male child [heir apparent] for my late husband. By tradition, all that my late husband
    had, [wealth] belongs to his brothers/family.
    And myself is to be remarried by his immediate younger brother which I vehemently refused.
    They have taken all that I suffered with my husband to acquire including treasures, houses and his bank particular seized by them.
    I wanted to escape to the United State
    of America [USA} with my children on exile, but again they conspired and stole my international passport and other traveling document to further frustrate me.

Thank God, two weeks ago, I received Key Text Code from a Security Company abroad, that my late husband deposited U.S
    $45.5 Million cash with this company.
    It has therefore, become very necessary and urgent to contact someone, a foreigner like you to help me receive/secure these funds overseas in a reliable bank Account
    (presumably an empty Bank Account, if available) and to help invest
    it on our behalf as well, while we find a way of getting out to meet with
    you in your country.

These funds are kept on an "OPEN BENEFICIARY MANDATE"
    with the Security Company to avoid detection, seizureor diversion.
    I have had several telephone discussions with the Assistant Director of the security company,who has express willingness to help me on meeting the company's demands. This is why I have contacted you to help save my children and I, receive these funds on our behalf.
    But, you would need to give me sufficient assurance that if you help me, you would not divert the funds.
    My children and I have resolved to give you 30% of the total sum. This is all my children and I have got to live on.

Please, I have reposed my confidence in you and hope you will not disappoint me.
    I look forward to your urgent response, including your private phone / mobile No and also your fax no for easier communication.

NB: The secret codes (e.g Pin No., Secret Access Code)for this fund are safely kept with me which I can give you as soon as you express desire to help me.

Please tell them not to get caught up with these scams.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I have over 10 email addresses. I get this email, or similar one like it, twice a day, for the last two weeks.

ABW Ambassador
    I found tons online, and get them daily myself, but since this one had their name, and the whole, wife, kid, crash on this road, etc.....Dyno's is almost exactly the same as my neighbors. With the names imputed on the email, and searching for the last name etc, seemed a bit more believable for them I guess. I thought right away 'Scam' but it obviously wasn't for them.

It went as far as a few emails later, that this lawyer and family were going to fly here to give them the money.

But the neighbor phoned, and this guy wanted him to sign a piece of paper stating the dead guy was his brother.......They of course said forget it, but perhaps they would of if I didn't educated them on the web at their house of what happens to people who follow through with these scams, besides loosing up front costs.....like death, kidnapping etc. I warned them that to be extremely careful and not to fly there, or send money, or give out their personal identifation and I made them read about the scams and what happens to people....and showed them tons of the scam letters, but because their letter sounded sooooo different..... I couldn't find another one close to theirs till now.

What made it real to them was last year they went to a family reunion, and there were tons of relatives...long lost cousins kind of things, and he did have some cousins in the oil patch that did go overseas in places.

So not being web savvey and being close to early retirement age, of course they wanted to be true. A huge 8 million dollars richer.

As much spam as I get I can't believe I've never gotten one of these Nigerian things.

I'm starting to think they don't trust me or something. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Too bad, with that many people with millions of dollars to get rid of, it would be a great place to move to and start a business (hey, maybe venture capital!).

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: jaybat ]

There's meant to be a site called nigerianfraudwatch.org where you can report these to the Nigerian government, but it's so rarely working it's a bit pointless [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Makes you wonder if the Nigerian Goverment is not behind them. How many Nigerians can afford or even have access to a computer? Outside the big cities I would say none.

ABW Ambassador
    From what I've read upon it....internet cafe bars in the cities, is where these criminals are doing it from.

I thought people just lost some people and that was the whole scam. But upon doing a bit a research, they've convinced fellow people to go over there to get money, and when they go over there, they kidnap them and hold them for ransom, or kill them.

This scam has been going on since the 70's by mail and telephone so it's just natural that they would add email.I know several business people who have gotten fairly deeply
    involved in these scams as far as giving out information about their business and accounts and the like.This scam must work pretty good to last as long as it has but it's hard for me to think so many successful people have fallen for this.Not only can you lose a lot of money but some of these cases
    have resulted in people being kidnapped when they went to meet with some of these scam artists.I guess greed can over rule good judgement.

If I had a nickel for every time I received that spam ...... :rolleyes:

What is really bizarre is that from time to time they still con folks with that crap. I've heard that the Secret Service has a field office in Lagos to deal with these scumbags. There have been Americans coned into going there and they have been even killed.

Ah well I have the T-shirt being despatched now - it says "I sent all my money to Nigeria and all I got was this lousy T-shirt".

I was thinking about the social engineering factor.. the mail I received at least made me read some of it before hitting DELETE because of the names.. virus writers have known about social engineering for a while, so I hate to think what would happen with a combination of the two.. searching for names and contacts from address books, maybe crossreferencing from the web and then generating much more plausible 419 letters.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread