Hey Guys! Well I guess I can count myself lucky as nothing has happened for sure but I was yesterday pinged by one of my own sites under various modes in a hack or crack attack. Someone has also been feeding me crack attack programs via email in a vain attempt to steal info off my unit. Yet, being I'm getting pinged by my own sites, I'm kind of worried. My webhost said it looked like an attack, but they could not verify it for sure.

Anyway I need an HONEST security consultant who will not try to fleece myself or plant hack bombs on me. Have any of you had to do this before? What sucks is I have hundreds of sites, and if my master info somehow got compromised in masse, it could get pretty ugly. Any recommendations? I'd prefer to pay by the hour.

ABW Ambassador
    Don,
    Sorry to hear about the problems. A lot of this should show up in your site logs. Be sure to look everything over carefully. Your host should be able to tell you if there is something running on the server that shouldn't be, particularly if you are in a shared hosting enviroment. If you want, please feel free to send me a PM or send us an e-mail and we'll help you look into it.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    I have a client who is a security consultant - UK based, though. www.7safe.com if you are interested.

Mark

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Thanks for the info! I agree, my webhost should of been able to tell me more. I asked them to check my files for anything that loooks out of the ordinary, they responded by telling me I should get outside help. Kinda irks me. Like I told them, I would not be too upset, even if one of their guys was doing it as long as they fired the son of a bi'atch. I just want them to give me the low down on what they know of. Looks like I'm just going to have to screen all my files and move the sites to a different host. I think I might just buy a new-unused computer and manually review before loading any old files into it. If you think about it, those hackers can rename and arrange those skanker bugs on your unit, so they are damn near impossible to find.

I hate researching and tracking down possible infections. When you browse thru the files of any computer you'll find a ton of stuff that can be an unknown virus. It's scary, who is to say a unique virus, not listed in your anti-virus definitions, is not on your computer.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread