Just had to say I was greatly impressed last week. A couple who met at my website got married and invited me to the wedding. SO, I drove the thee days from Calgary to Milwaukee to be there for the big event.

The trip took us through North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin and I met some of the best people in the world there!

The trip, both the people and the landscape, was so wonderful I didn't want to leave.

Man, if you guys can get the health care situation in order I'd move down there in a minute flat.

Pat yourselves on the back folks, you come from great people [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and I met some of the best people in the world there! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Parentsworld if you came to Edmonton you could meet the best person in the world [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But don't forget the USA has the biggest percentage of lunatics per capita in the world and they let them carry guns [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] only kidding you guys

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

LOL Yeah, thought I was going to get in a fight with one guy when I dare told him the the West Edmonton Mall was bigger than the Mall of America. Heck, I walked the Mall of America in 3 hours -- can't to that at West Edmonton [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I actually had to get out the AMA book and show him the two malls, West Ed is bigger. Sigh..

I never realized how flat and boring (landscape wise) it was here until the drive home though. Ugh. We need many, many, MANY more trees.

You folks might not like the comment but I don't think you're all that different from us (except for maybe that "Q" place).

And our problem isn't the lunatics carrying guns - it's the lunatics.

Take away their guns and it just slows them down - they'll use kitchen knives, baseball bats, cinder blocks - and yes, I know it's blasphemy to you folks but they'll even use hockey sticks if need be.

They have started to expand West Ed Mall. The last I heard was they are going to double its size [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] there will be more shops than people.

I have to admit the landscape around here is not very clever but don't forget you only live 2 hours (me 4) from our stupendous Rockies. I have been treking in the Himalaya and I recon the Rockies are the best.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Naw, we're only an hour away. And I did miss them. It was odd trying to figure out what direction we were going without looking for the mountains as a landmark.

I don't remember if you can see them clearly from Edmonton but they're so clear here it's like they're right in the city.

Jaybat
    You are dead right there. We are all the same, we all have our village idiots and whatever.

I was only joking please do not take offence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (except for maybe that "Q" place).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I guess you mean "Queerbeck" as the local Canadians call it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaybat:
    You folks might not like the comment but I don't think you're all that different from us (except for maybe that "Q" place).

And our problem isn't the lunatics carrying guns - it's the lunatics.

Take away their guns and it just slows them down - they'll use kitchen knives, baseball bats, cinder blocks - and yes, I know it's blasphemy to you folks but they'll even use hockey sticks if need be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ -- and it works to your advantage. I found myself envious of your patriotism. We need some of that. Man, it's pretty infectious too I found myself eating it up!

Other than that, yeah, we're pretty much the same. The trip blew away any negative stereotypes I had about Americans that's for sure.

Okay...now you need to come to the mid-Atlantic states to try some of our "down home Southern cookin'"

I have to tell you though that I have spent many a summer up near Toronto, as a kid, and always will have fond memories of that time.

Consider yourself invited for a mess of greens and grits.

Come to Kentucky for natural beauty, good weather and fine people.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I've made many trips to Quebec; one was a trip around the St Lawrence and Gaspe Peninsula by bicycle where I was stranded several times - and with a few exceptions have never met a greater bunch of human beings as the Quebecois.

Toronto was a different story ...

{

When the shoe fits the foot is forgotten
    When the belt fits the belly is forgotten
    When the heart is right "for" and "against" are forgotten. - Chuang Tzu

I grew up in a Military family so I've lived all over Canada.

Quebec is beautiful and the people are great. Sure, there's political strife between them and the rest of Canada but as a group of people they're amazing.

I enjoyed the trip, the land, and the people so much we'll do it again next year but in another direction...there are SOOO many states I want to see!

Me and Pauline are just waiting until I retire then we will travel round Canada with an RV. Until then we will just be taking the odd flights to diffent places as she gets a good discount with her new job at Edmonton Airport

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>there are SOOO many states I want to see!
    ~PW <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I'll jump in and recommend the West Coast [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. Southern tip back up to Canada, keep on Highway 1 or 101 as much as possible (unless you're in a road maggot like Grodon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img], then stay bored on I5). Or enjoy the train ride from LA to Seattle. The railroads bought up some mighty beautiful land way back when.

Had the pleasure of a motorcycle road trip from Portland to LA when I finished college and a friend was going that way. It was already late May, so when we hit Californica we tended to weave back and forth over the Coastal range to keep from being too cool on the coast and too hot on I5. Saw really great country that way.

The Oregon coast is my favorite. Don't forget to stop at the Tillamook cheese factory.

Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent email left on the planet.

We were lucky that a bunch of surprise events left us quite cash strapped. Instead of our original idea of staying in hotels we camped our way through this whole trip. I HIGHLY recommend it, it was a great time and a much more relaxed pace. And man, camping is so cheap there! We paid as low as $8 a night and as high as $20 a night though the average cost was around $16...can't get a campsite here for that!

I like camping (with a tent not an RV) but as we get older it is less comfortable and the little bumps on the floor seem more like mountains [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

My solution is use youth hostels, you still get the comfort of a decent bed but the cost is much less than a hotel and you will meet better people in a hostel. Wrong word there, not better but more savvy to the ways of the world also I found they tend to know the better places to go and the cheapest way to do it..

Me and Pauline are looking forward to a trip down the Oregon coast, we have been told it is out of this world.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

That's a good point about the bumps, Gordon. I still have this dream of retiring on a Honda GoldWing with the matching helmets with intercoms and the large hard cased saddle bags. But come to think of it.... bumps, hmmmm.

Some of the camping grounds were still flooded in late May on the Northern Oregon coast. I remember the park ranger telling us which lots had high ground, lol. There were always showers with electric backed solar heating in Oregon campgrounds. Quiet reigned. No liquor stores and car washing like the Redwoods National campgrounds in CA.

Two of my favorite campgrounds were Oswald West (lots of weekend getaways to that one) and Cascade Head north of Lincoln city.

I'd also like to get to Hawaii some day.

Yeah, we tented it -- it's the only way to go for me. Though, for the first time in years I'm thinking I'd like one of those big blow up matresses that you see on late night TV to use as a spare bed at home. I was thinking how great that'd be camping [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Must be age setting in.

Some of the RV's we saw were beautiful and might be fun to rent for a weekend with the kids, but it'll be many years before I use that in place of a tent.

Oh yeah, an aero matress, great idea PW! And one of those thermal electric Coleman coolers (barring the GoldWing scenario, unless it would fit in the saddle bag). I'm amazed at some of the cool camping grills that are out now, too. Coleman has one that has a griddle part for the flapjacks next to the grill.

"Camping gracefully with age".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmistress:
    Oh yeah, an aero matress, great idea PW!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

be sure to bring some sort of pump, otherwise inflating the thing will take you until morning (assuming you live through the process).

I agree with everything said about the Oregon coast. My wife and I go down the Oregon coast at least once a year in our motorhome.

This year for our 25th anniversary we went down I-5 to San Francisco and drove up highway 101 for the return trip. Beautiful scenery, but a difficult drive for a 34' motorhome pulling a car. I probably won't repeat this trip any time soon because of the driving conditions.

It seems rather odd that when we had kids at home, we always went camping with camping gear, kids & dogs cram-packed into a small car or truck, but now we have the motorhome with all that space to ourselves. Though we've invited our grown kids to go with us on some of our excursions, they never do. They would rather camp in a tent. Their fondest memories of camping include sleeping in the tent on the cold, damp, rocky ground and cooking hot dogs & roasting marshmallows on the camp fire.

Greg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaybat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmistress:
    Oh yeah, an aero matress, great idea PW!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

be sure to bring some sort of pump, otherwise inflating the thing will take you until morning (assuming you live through the process).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, they're self inflating and my new car comes with an electrical outlet on the dash (yeah, a regular old plug in) so you could plug in the self inflator [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gregdi:Their fondest memories of camping include sleeping in the tent on the cold, damp, rocky ground and cooking hot dogs & roasting marshmallows on the camp fire.

Greg<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, that's my army experience - anything involving trees was good, anything involving buildings was bad (more or less anyway).

LOL, I said if you're in a road maggot stay on I5. It's even worse being behind one!

Even in a Toyota Corona it was tough driving the Oregon coast at times. Best was on the bike.

Yeah, the aero beds are self-inflating. They have little kiddie pools that self-inflate and have some sort of cool quick deflate as well. Nice touch. Who wants to wait an hour until the pool deflates?

My first view of Oregon trees was from an RV on a trip from CA to Nebraska (roundabout) when I was 14. Man, that was sooooo boring at that age! I never saw something soooo boring as all those trees from the window of the RV. LOL. Funny how those trees became so much more beautiful in 5 years.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread