My local main isp went dead Saturday morning, 02:30 (about 80 hours straight now - can't even use their web site to check email). Their tech support line says call back during business hours (especially a bad plan when they go dead at the start of a three day weekend). Need to replace them and open to suggestions.

Cheap is good, I want newsgroups, and no special dialer/software, I'd rather set things up my way.

And if you're wondering, I'm using Walmart Connect right now (basically AOL) - it's my secondary isp (my solution to a 28k connection - two phone lines, two computers, two isp's). Hate having to use their dialer, hate having to load their software before running IE, and it has no newsgroups - but for $10 a month, it's a good choice for the second machine.

PS: Yeah, need unlimited hours - and some of the discount isp's advertising unlimited will have a footnote somewhere saying something like (more or less a quote): "Channel A is UUnet - users are limited to 150 hours a month. Users needing more than 150 hours should use channel B or channel C" - but those aren't likely to be available here (think 19th century).

ABW Ambassador
    Jaybat,
    In answer to your previous question, yes, newsgroups are included....I sent you an e-mail about this, but wanted to make sure I cover everything [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

I hope you didn't send it through ABW - they have my "main" (kaput) isp on file, so I may never get it.

Jaybat, mfire offers a standard ppp connection for 14.95 a month, the link is not an affiliate link, it's for 5 dollars off their normal price of 19.95. You even get a free website, so now you could start your own and join the rest of us, hehe. There is a link on that page to check for access numbers.

Windows XP - Windows XP Tips and Info

ABW Ambassador
    Jaybat,
    I don't know if the address I have is the one that went down...You had sent me an e-mail on Sunday evening and I replied to it about 10 minutes later...if you didn't get it, here is my response [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (at the time I was unsure of the newsgroups, and that answer is yes)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I will look into the newsgroups for you and find out who they are
    through..I do not use the newsgroups myself.

In answer to your other question, Unlimited is unlimited. The only
    limitation that you will find is after 8 hours of usage, you will be
    bumped...you can then dial right back up...this just keeps people from
    staying dial-up 24 hours a day...there is no additional charges for
    cognisurf for internet access on a local number.

I use Cognisurf myself on 1 home computer, as well at my wifes
    work...It is a great service (not just saying that because we sell it).
    I had been on prodigy for a number of years..they then raised their
    rates so I went with cognisurf...it is so much better (and cheaper).

For software, they do have a dialer that you can download, but it isn't
    required. All I did at home was use the dialer that comes with windows
    (You've probably seen it under Internet Properties). It is great for
    those folks that just need a connection, and don't want all that other mess
    that comes with AOL, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea where that email went. Well, I just use Walmart for the connection, not email so ain;t gonna get upset about that. My main isp is back up, obviously have a million things to catch up on - try to sign up with Cognisurf tomorrow.

As for the 8 hours, I noticed that - not a big issue, I like to do most of my downloading while I'm asleep, I'll just have to disconnect then reconnect before crashing.

I think you answered my question about the dialer and stuff, as long as they don't have that "UUnet channel A limit" thing I was mentioned (do you know what I'm talking about there?) it should be what I'm looking for.

ABW Ambassador
    I had replied about 10 minutes after you sent your e-mail LOL...I use Cognisurf on a couple of computers (one at home and one at the wifes office), and I am so much happier with it than when I was with prodigy...don't get any busy signals, etc...network seems pretty fast with connections. The only problem I had one time was I was getting an invalid username and password error (knowing my account was in good standing)..tried a different number and it worked fine. I don't know your location, but here in Northern VA, we must have 20+ numbers that are local for us (Be sure to double check and make sure your numbers are local to your area).

They do have a dialer (although small) that you can download, but I just use the windows dialer...put in the phone numbers, username and password, and I'm off surfin'

(One thing to make sure you do when setting it up is your full username to dial up is your e-mail address username@cognisurf.com)

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread