Ok, so my last post resulted in a unanimous no about the quality of that source of traffic.

Here's another question. How about sources of paid traffic that worked for you?

I've only done PPC on Overture and Google Adwords, with good effect. But as always one needs to find more traffic.

So where are good places to look for traffic buys, whether on a PPC or CPM basis?

Hopefully I'm not rehashing a well worn topic but is there a list of quality places?

David Nguyen
    http://www.authenticnautical.com/

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Regardless of the hype over "contextual Ads" triggered by page content keywords they appear to be performing like bad actors in a B-movie.

"WEB AD RENAISSANCE

Overture and Google get much of the credit for reviving the Internet advertising market after demand for banner ads imploded in early 2000 due to big cutbacks in dot-com spending and a perception that consumers were generally ignoring them.

Their search services deliver ads when Internet users search via key words. The ads look like search results with links to Web sites, but are arranged under special headings.

Contextual ads use the key word technology from search to dish up ads on content sites. Despite the fact that fewer Internet users are clicking on such ads, advertisers often pay the same for key words used in both search and contextual ad campaigns.

A study from NewGate compared the performance of Google search and contextual campaigns for two clients. Results showed that click-through rates were 14 times to 150 times higher on the search ads than the contextual ads. The cost per lead, or order, was two to eight times higher for contextual campaigns.

"The picture painted (by the study) is one perspective, but it's far from the only perspective out there. Ultimately, we'll do what's right for our customers and advertisers," said Kurt Abrahamson, Google's business manager for contextual ads.

But marketers, too, are finding difficulty in predicting where contextual ads will land because often they can be linked to words in rapidly changing news stories.

In one recently publicized example, Mountain View, California-based Google served a luggage ad with a New York Post story about a murder victim whose body parts were found in a suitcase.

Still, some users are sticking with Google and Overture.

Mark Aistrope, president of Ohio-based Meeting Tomorrow, which sends LCD projectors to business travelers, said he would like to pay less for his contextual key words, but added that so far he's happy with the results. "It's good to have them out there. There is a branding element to what we're doing," he said.

Clue to the Ad wanks and their fat wallet merchant targets. At any given moment 99% of the online public could give a crap about your stupid Ad begging to get noticed triggered by some keyword in the content of the page. Obliterating that content they came to read with some advertising popup or side bar Ad just pisses off the web information surfer.

OH the affiliate getting some click revenue from the content page is rightfully happy, but the advertiser getting his Overture/Google/Sprinks account drained has to think twice about this BHO type strategy.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

'In one recently publicized example, Mountain View, California-based Google served a luggage ad with a New York Post story about a murder victim whose body parts were found in a suitcase'.

Hillarious.

Chris Wesson
    Affiliate Manager
    Gamesys Ltd
    www.jackpotjoy.com
    50p a free player
    & 20% profit share
    Program URL:
    www.tradedoubler.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Here's one to stear clear of ...BidClix.net

Partnering with Leading Websites

BidClix partners with high-quality, high-traffic sites that offer outstanding content.
    Over 950 websites have partnered with BidClix, including:

American Greetings
    Prodigy
    Music City (Morpheus)
    Classmates.com
    Gator Corp.
    Fortunecity.com
    eUniverse Network
    Healthy.net
    Delphi Forums
    Uproar/Flipside
    FastClick
    BizRate.com
    WhenU
    Advertising.com
    Pogo (EA)
    ValueClick

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Google Adwords can work well. I haven't any others, but Overture is supposed to be good. I would steer clear of most of the others myself.

Some smaller newsletters can be a great place to advertise. Don't fall for the ones who say that have hundreds of thousands or millions of subscribers. They're likely NOT opt-in and response will be far lower.

If you're selling a product, nothing beats an affiliate program.

If you have a content site or a site that provides some value to visitors, working with a PR expert to get some press coverage can be really effective.

Find some mid-sized sites running banners from a major network. Most are probably netting $0.20 CPM or less, so I'm sure many of them would be receptive to something in the $0.25 CPM to $0.50 CPM rate from an individual if you're willing to run enough impressions. Then again, maybe not... I'm sure they could get that much or more from Google AdSense.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I've used a number of banner exchange programs and pop-ups to limited success. I use those for brand name recognition only. If google adwords are not really cost effective. What do you use to get cutomers to your site? Print ads?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread