ABW Ambassador
    The day before, we bemoaned the fact that our youth had "no real heroes anymore." We tsk-tsked that "hero" and "role model" had come to mean "athlete" and "pop-star."

I found out online, of course. A forum I was visiting, someone posted a message with a link to CNN. I spent ten minutes trying to access their bogged down servers -- in complete panicked frustration that I could get no news and all the while cursing my dialup connection.

Then I remembered that I could turn on the television.

I sat down in front of the television and I don't think I moved for 18 hours. As surreality grew into reality, I prayed, I wept, and I watched.

The grief came in waves and in one particlarly painful wave, I thought to myself, "think of the people of on that one flight, think of the firefighters, and police officers -- think of the strength of humanity you have seen today, find comfort in their stories."

And it was then that I realized what a true luxury we had had the day before... and it was then that I first prayed that we might, some day, once again live in a world with "no real heroes."

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

My reflections of 911 and how it has changed the world may seem a bit strange to some of you.
    I am not American, I an Canadian and my parents were immigrants who wanted a better life for their family.
    I remember Sept 11th clear as if it was yesterday.
    I had just woken up a few moments prior, grabbed a coffee and turned on the tv to watch the news.
    I remember hearing something about planes hijacked and then they quickly switched to NY and the burning tower 1 that the plane had crashed into.
    I could not move I was numb, like the wind had been knocked out of me.
    I had been lucky enough to visit NY about 10 years prior and managed to visit the top of the WTC and as soon as I saw where the plane had hit I knew there was no way that everyone would get out alive.
    I then saw the 2nd tower get hit and I knew that it was a terrorist attack and I started to get very angry and started to pray.
    Then the Pentagon, then the plane in PA.
    My kids were now awake and too numb to go to school they just sat there crying.
    I remember sitting there the whole day, just holding them tight wating for DH to get home and just be together as a family.
    I don't think I moved from the tv for the next 48 hours. I remember alternating between praying and cursing for those responsible for this atrocity.

I will never be the same again, this has affected me more than most people realize. Even though I may not be an American I know the meaning of freedom, a lot of people have given up their lives so that USA and Canada are free countries and 2 of the world's biggest powers.
    Freedom to live your life as you see fit, worship where you choose, make your dreams come true.
    A lot of people have died and they are my heroes for leaving me the opportunity to be in a free country they helped to build and defend.
    I do not take anything for granted anymore, in a lot of ways I don't give a damn.
    I live life one day at a time enjoying every moment , for all that it has to offer.
    I am more cautious and careful, but my heart is still open to love and grieve.

One madman who managed to convince a bunch of followers to carry out his horrid deeds did this.
    He thought he would bring the USA to it's knees.

HE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG.

You may kill innocent people, but you did not count on the pride and patriotism of a nation.
    You may kill innocent victims but even though their bodies may be gone, their spirits live on in our hearts.
    As long as their spirits and memories live on we will never forget. We lost, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins.
    Their families will live on with their memories and the rest of the people that built our nations will stand behind them, for you did not count on the one thing that makes a free country great.

We have our pride, our freedom and our patriotism, and those are things you can never take away. You thought you succeeded but all you did was rile the biggest most proud country on the planet. You will pay for this.

You took away a friend of mine, one I had known since he was a child. He was the best husband, father and friend anyone could ever have.
    He died trying to save the lives of those people you carelessy choose to send to an early death.
    His wife would like 5 minutes alone with you in a closed room, and tiny as she is I can promise you you will wish you were elsewhere..

All I can say is I will spend today remembering those who perished, praying for peace, and living one day at a time, and never taking anything for granted anymore.
    You took away my friend but you didn't get me, there are 300 million more like me in these 2 countries and be aware that you should be afraid, justice will be done.
    We will never forget, you have only made us stronger and more willing to fight for what we believe in.
    Life Liberty Freedom...

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

If this offends anyone of you who are not believers I'm sorry but it is too important not to post. I hope that it may bring comfort to a few people as it did me.

Where was God on Sept 11th?

God was very busy the morning of September 11th.

He was trying to discourage anyone from taking the hijackers' flights. Those four flights together held over 1000 passengers yet there were only 266 aboard.

He was on 4 commercial flights giving terrified passengers the ability to stay calm. Not one of the family members who were called by a loved one on any of the highjacked planes said that passengers were screaming in the background.

On one of the flights, He was giving strength to passengers to overtake the hijackers. In addition, one flight He grounded altogether. Who knows how many other planes never accomplished the terrorists' missions.

He was busy trying to create obstacles for employees at the World Trade Center. Only around 20,000 were at the towers when the first jet hit. Since the buildings hold over 50,000 workers, this was a miracle in itself. How many of the people who were employed at the WTC told the media that they were late for work or they had traffic delays.

He was holding up 2-110 story buildings so that 2/3 of the workers could get out. I was so amazed that the top of the towers didn't topple when the jets impacted.

He was patiently waiting for his children to join forces and love one another again. He opened our eyes and listened to our prayers. He has given us comfort, guidance and compassion. Satan's work has failed and I thank God for that. God was very busy on September 11th and I thank him for that, too...

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

Author Unknown.

I think that Bin Laden had obviously never heard the phrase "Don't Tread On Me".

Cedric - you're right about heroes. People's perception about heroism changed. There were thousands of heroes on that day, many of whom we'll never know about, from Todd Beamer and the passengers on Flight 93, office workers who desperately tried to get people out, emergency services, military pilots who were prepared to ram hijacked planes before they could do any damage and countless others, such as the ordinary New Yorkers who pulled together.

Ladyboss - yes, it could have been even worse. It's hard to believe that it *could* be worse, but just think of all those people who got out alive. I remember looking at the pictures on the grainy little 1.5 inch TV in the office and trying to work out in my head how many people might be trapped.. it was easy to think that 10,000, 20,000 or more might have been killed. It's an awful, awful thought that it could have been worse bearing in mind how terrible it was.

It really doesn't seem like a year ago that this all happened. I hope we never see anything like this again.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

Incidentally I found the ABW thread from last year here.

Well I will have to say after listening and watching all of the stories from the firefighters, such as the family of firefighters, one was always there at the heart of the fire first, no matter how hard they tried they could never beat him, he died and the rest of the family lived, I think it's affecting me worse now. After hearing the tales of heroes and the people who made it wondering why they made it, the parents telling the kids their mom or their dad won't be coming home, breaks my heart.
    I just wish I could get my hands on Bin Laden, last night I dreamt I was trying to break him in half over my knee. It only took 35 tries. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I think I could get it to 40 in real life.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar

[edited to remove text that was reprinted without authorization by original copyright holder]

[This message was edited by buckworks.com on September 11, 2002 at 09:02 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,

Well said.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

ABW Ambassador
    >>Well said.

You might me saying that to the wrong Mike. In fact, I do believe that article was written by Michael B. Oren and published in the Jerusalem Post... and I'm pretty sure eCom Mike is not the same person.

And if they're not the same Mike, how unfortunate that the author's name got omitted from the cut and paste that put his words here.

-------

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You are so correct Cedric. I just checked and this was a editorial featured essay from the Jeruslem Post www.jpost.com sent to me from my Brother this morning. I never assumed he wrote it but knew he added the ( I was There) in the Vietnam section. I never went to Vietnam and only served in the Coast Guard. I just added the part at the bottom and felt it was something I too should share with ABW members.
    He sent it out to all on his e-mail cc. list of friends without the credits or I'd have added them.
    Article:9/11 ONE YEAR LATER: Where is the outrage? By MICHAEL OREN ..The writer, a historian and Senior Fellow at the Shalem Center, is author of Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East.

WebMaster Mike

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on September 11, 2002 at 08:44 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry, I just re-read "Mike's" post and I'm compelled to add that the original article ended at: "History rarely repeats itself, but for freedom's sake, Americans must assure that it does."

Mr. Oren did not write the closing on the above message.

Other edits have been made and I suspect the original author would find many of them offensive. Grammatical error being one tipoff to the edits and the addition of spin phrases such as "westernized Christian cultures" (which change the scope of meaning from the original article) being another.

If anyone would like to see the original article: http://www.ourjerusalem.com/opinion/...20020910a.html

-------

ABW Ambassador
    Well it's a direct and appalling violation of copyright and I would ask the moderators to remove it.

-------

ABW Ambassador
    9/11 is the one date that stands in everyones mind. I can recall the exact words that were coming out of my mouth when the first plane hit. It was just more than an hour before I was to go on the air....I was talking to our General Manager about an update I wanted to make to the website. I remember my exact words...CBS sent down a bulletin (aired throughout the building) that a 'small plane' had struck one of the world trade towers. We both looked at each other...it was a clear day...it must have been mechanical failure and the plane unfortunetely fell into manhattan....We both ran down the hall to the newsroom to see the first images...what at first looked like smoke blocking the view of the building, I soon realized that it wasn't just smoke I was seeing, but a large hole...We sat there looking at the image....then we saw what appeared to be a news helicopter off behind the towers, not thinking much of it. We quickly realized that as it got bigger, it was a large plane....we then lost sight of it....within seconds a huge fireball came out the side of the building...I immediately went to the on air studio to tell the jock what was happening and that it was an attack...I then called my wife at work to tell her to keep an eye on things...What seem like minutes, she was calling me back to tell me something in DC had been hit and she thought it was the Pentagon...There were also reports of a car bomb outside of the Capital Building (false report)...I then took over in the main studio and just reported on what I was seeing and hearing....Another 3 planes are missing and believed to be heading towards DC...2 of them are accounted for...1 is not....We later hear that the plane was 'shot down' over PA...within minutes we here that the report is false...then true..then false...I do not report that the plane was shot down until I know the facts....The rest of my time on the air is a blur..I recall announcing about the first tower to fall...then the second....rattling off numbers of how many people are in the towers on any given day, and how much time there was for thousands to escape...That is all I remember of my airshift...I recall driving home (65 mile drive from Annapolis, MD to Northern Virginia)....There is absolutely no traffic on the road...I come up on the 'Woodrow Wilson' bridge that crosses the Potomac river into Northern VA...Off to my right I see the plumes of smoke from the Pentagon fire...As I continue on our beltway...I see that all routes into DC are blocked by State Police...Major 10 lane highways are deserted with the exception of ambulances, fire trucks and a lot of Humvees...I arrive home, and my wife is minutes behind me....then we were glued to the TV for many, many hours.....

(Thank you for allowing me to share)

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I must admit that I knew nothing until some 12+ hours (9am in the morning here) after it had all happened (didn't watch TV that evening). The first thing I knew was when I picked up the newspaper at the office and saw a huge front cover picture of the explosion from the impact of the second plane...my first thought was that it was some movie picture and couldn't understand why it was on the front page....then I got to the head lines and I the one thing I remember clearer than anything else is that I just couldn't comprehend the magnitude of it...

That only 3000 people died and the towers fell straight rather than going sideways is nothing short of a miracle.

rgs

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera Partner Management
    Mondera : Click Here
    Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd : Click Here
    Microsoft Certified Partner
    Affiliate Management and Marketing Solutions

I didn't hear about it for several hours, and even then, it was only because a friend in Italy emailed me about it.

This is a list of domain names that expired yesterday.. i.e. ones that were registed on 9/11 iteself. It's probably not that comprehensive, but it seems that many people's first reactions were to rush to err buy domain names.

0911attackonamerica.com
    0911attackonamerica.net
    11september2001-usa.com
    11setiembre.com
    2001-september-11.com
    91101awake.com
    91101disaster.com
    9-11-01terror.com
    91101wakeup.com
    911attackonamerica.net
    911attackonamerica.org
    911dvd.com
    911trade.net
    911-trade.net
    airlinerterrorism.com
    airlinetickets911.com
    airterror.com
    america11september2001.com
    america2001-09-11.com
    attackonus.org
    collapseofthewtc.com
    deathtobaghdad.com
    deathtowashington.com
    diebinladen.com
    emailoverload911.net
    firefightermemorial.com
    from11september2001.com
    homeimprovements911.com
    inmemoriam-september-11-2001.net
    inmemoriam-september-11-2001.org
    landscaping911.com
    medicalemergency911.com
    mytwintowermemorial.org
    newyorkattack2001.com
    newyorkattacknews.com
    newyorkattackonline.com
    newyorkattackreport.com
    nukedyork.com
    nycterrorism.com
    nycworldtradecenterheros.com
    nyworldtradecenters.com
    nywtccollapse.com
    pentagon2001-09-11.com
    pentagonorphanfund.com
    pentagonterror.com
    pentagonterrorattack.com
    pentagonterroristattack.com
    personalinjury911.com
    remember-09-11-01.com
    remember11september2001.com
    replacementwindows911.com
    salvage911.com
    savior911.com
    sep1101.com
    sep1101tragedy.com
    september-11-2001-inmemoriam.com
    september-11-2001-inmemoriam.net
    september-11-2001-inmemoriam.org
    sportinggoods911.com
    statedepartmentterroristattack.com
    taxpreparation911.com
    terrorawake.com
    terrorisminnyc.com
    terrorismtuesday.com
    terrorismusa2001.com
    terrorismworldtrade.com
    terrorismworldtradecenter.com
    terrorismwtc.com
    terroristsinus.com
    terroristswin.com
    terrorplane.com
    terrorsecurity.com
    thenewyorkattack.com
    thenewyorkcityattack.com
    the-twins-towers-day.com
    towersterror.com
    tradegy91101.com
    trafficticket911.com
    travelagency911.com
    twin-towers.org
    us91101.com
    usa-11september2001.com
    usa2001-09-11.com
    usaattack2001.com
    usaattacked2001.com
    usantiterrorism.com
    usaterrorism2001.com
    usaterrorismreport.com
    usaworldtradecenter.com
    usawtc.com
    uspentagonattack.com
    usterrorattacks.com
    usterrorawake.com
    usterrorized.com
    usterrorwake.com
    victimsofterrorism2001.com
    websitesalesman911.com
    worldtradecenteraid.com
    worldtradecenterchildrensfund.com
    worldtradecenterdisasterchildrensfund.com
    worldtradecenterfacts.com
    worldtradecentergoesdown.com
    worldtradecentermemorial2001.com
    worldtradecenterorphanfund.com
    worldtradecenterpics.com
    worldtradecenterplanecrashcollapse.com
    worldtradecentersuicideattack.com
    worldtradeterroristattack.com
    wtc2001-09-11.com
    wtcchat.com
    wtcmemorial2001.com
    wtcorphanfund.com
    wtcsurvivors.com
    wtcsurvivors.net

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    dynamoo, that just makes me ill that people would rush to register all of those. I'm sure some were intended to be news or charity related, but man, I hate to think someone actually wanted to make money off of that day. The domain registration of 'deathtowashington.com' particularly disturbs me. I wonder if the owner of that site lives in America?

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

There are even some sexually explicit ones, I put them in my diary - I won't repost them here.

I can understand something like wtcsurvivors.com but not pizzadelivery911.com which was also registered on the same day.

ABW Ambassador
    Lil weird the Pick 3 Lotto in NY for Sept 11th was 9 1 1

May all your ups and downs be in bed

If I remember correctly, wtcsurvivors.com was actually in use for a few days. The owner was running a list of WTC missing and survivors until it got to be too much for the server. I had tried to set up a mirror on 2 of my servers but it was too much for mine to handle also; then when he had to take down the site there was nothing to mirror anymore [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

My wife didn't tell me this until sometime after the call, even though she cried about it later.
    Yesterday afternoon she received a phone call.
    The number was blocked out so she couldn't tell who it was.
    She thought it was one of our friends calling on his way home from work to talk about fishing with me.
    It was a woman who was obviously a telemarketer. But what she was selling was sick.
    She went on about religion, and that 911 was foretold in some book of the bible. That it was a call to christian arms, and so on. She asked my wife is she knew god and other things like that.
    After about 2 minutes of this, my wife hung up. I asked why it took so long to hang up and she said at first she was shocked that it wasn't our friend. It caught her off gaurd. Then she was shocked by what this woman was talking about. And that she was doing it on Sept 11.
    I am not a religious person. I don't know that I do or don't believe in God.
    But that said, 2 things were confirmed in my mind last year. There is a hell. And there is a Heaven. I think it's a non-denominational heaven. This is because thousands of people died from all races and religions. Christian, Muslin and so on. I am sure the fire departments, port authorities, police departments and passengers who all fought and died helping others weren't all Caucasian Christians. I am sure all those that died heros that day did not share the same idea of heaven or even that there was a heaven.
    But I think one was made that day that includes them all.
    I now think there is a hell. Hell is where these cowards go. They go with the child molesters and kidnappers out there. And their hell consists of: those of us who's idea of heaven is spending an eternity making them pay for what they have done getting the chance to do just that. Make them pay.
    Telemarketing for God in this manner on a day like 9/11 is one of the worst things I have ever heard of that is not illegal. Sure it doesn't even compare to child molesting or the terrorist attacks. But this person thinks it is good to do this, and she was just one of the people doing it that my wife could hear in the background.
    I know the majority of Muslims have nothing to do with terrorist attacks, unlike what I read in a couple of posts on here from some people in threads from last year. I also know not all Christians are the same as these people doing these calls. But they hurt their cause more than they help it. They turn up the level of criticism rather than grow understanding. And they p155 me off.
    That's my .
    Maybe I am making a mountain out of some dumb@55es but it bugged me.
    I didn't want to post yesterday because there was too much to deal with and I found I had a hard time with some of yesterdays stuff.
    Sorry for rambling
    PD

I am a stat addict.
    Acknowledging the addiction is the first step.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I remember that day quite clearly. I logged onto CJU and was scanning through the topics, when I saw one from Haiko that said something like "Oh My God--Planes are Crashing!" (It was very slightly different than the topic title of his thread here at ABW).

I clicked that. I thought that he would say there had been accidental crashes.

Instead, it was a tense report of planes *intentionally* bashing into the WTC! By the time I had read the thread, both planes had hit.

I read it with a degree of skepticism (due to the general mayhem-filled climate across CJU at the time). But the thought of it being real gave me more shudders!

My uncertainty was short-lived, as I picked up the TV remote. It's weird because I hate TV and hardly ever watch it, that on that day the remote was right on my desk and visible (instead of being buried unfindably in papers). When I got the TV on the report was on, of course.

It all seemed very surreal and movie-like! There were the Towers, on fire! Someone actually dared to attack the United States! With WHAT?! Civilian jetliners... The target was WHAT?! Not a military target! I did think "Duh", that they aimed at a target that wouldn't interfere with our ability to go and kick their *sses!

Then they said the Pentagon was attacked. I still thought Duh because I figured that would just stir up the fire-ant hill more. The Pennsylvania plane hadn't been reported on as of yet.

(By the time I had woken up and turned the TV on, the towers had already fallen but they were showing film from before they fell...and I didn't read the part of the thread that said that until I had checked the TV.)

I knew at once that This Was War. I remember thinking the words "So it's war. So this will be this generation's Great War..."

But I didn't watch much on the TV. It was much more real right there on the boards--with LIVE New Yorkers and others putting in their unedited, at-the-moment reactions! It was as close to being right there watching as it could be to read those immediate posts--much more real than the movie-like TV.

I wondered what kind of enemy we were up against, who would think of carrying out an attack in that manner. I began to form a mental profile of the group's then-unknown leader over the next few days, Icicle-style: Flamboyant, creative, short-sighted, head of a personality cult, egotistical, good at short-term tactics but has a lot of problem with the "and then what?" part! Probably doesn't realize that last part, and thinks he's got it all figured out. He would be gloating then, but what would he say to his followers when our bombs fell?

My mother woke up surprisingly early and I pointed to the TV and said "we're under attack!" She was groggy with sleep but woke up when she realized what it was saying and started to watch it in silence as I kept on hitting Refresh on the boards and reading that. Finally she had to go and teach music lessons and after that I turned off the TV since at the time it was just saying "we don't know any more details" in 10,000 different, creatively wordy ways...

The first few days I was more shocked than anything. Then came grief and anger.

I was very angry until I read (or saw on TV) that our military had finally moved and was in Afghanistan, ready to launch the first of what would be many sorties--and that ground troops were also coming. Then I knew that some tail was going to get seriously kicked! That did a lot to improve my mood--the SOB was going to get the whupping he came begging for!!! And as a bonus, the no-good rotten Taliban was going down, too!

But I am immensely frustrated now, that they didn't find BinLaden and kill him.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread