My dentist sent me to an oral surgeon that wanted to charge twice the going rate for extractions. I left and let my fingers do the walking.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Affiliate Manager
    yes- not always, but many have deals that get them paid when they pass clients back and forth. Ditto for eye doctors

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    Having worked in health care I can say that many do have referral arrangements. The same holds true for about any business I think.

I am not always motivated by price when it comes to health care. Recently I had LASIK eye surgery (and yes it has been GREAT) and paid a premium to go to a top doctor.

I could have paid less- but it was me eyes.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

Understood. But, I am going to lose these teeth no matter what. I may as well shop around. I am really irked about this. I am in pain so I think they believe I will go for anything to get it to stop hurting. Scr*w em all!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ssanf,

Sorry to hear you are in such pain. As soon as you hit the oral surgeon, the price is going to go up. If you don't have insurance coverage, I would definitely shop around.

Best of luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Having grown up in the poorer parts of Appalachia I can attest that the common form of denistry used was the Sears Craftsman method. Usually involving a pair of pliers...

Fortunately I have never had a cavity. I hope your tooth feels better.

-wayne

Ssanf, sorry to hear about your toothache, if you can't get to a dentist quickly, get some oil of cloves or SM33, dab it on with a cotton stick and it will relieve the pain.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah they have referral deals. These happen when they go to dentist school together. One person can do the checkups and send customers to the other dentists who do the oral surgery. 12 years ago i was scheduled to have my molars taken out but never went because i'm a wuss when it comes to teeth extraction. No problems at all right now. 3 people you want to have as close friends:

1. doctor/dentist
    2. lawyer
    3. car mechanic

Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map.
    --Wayne Calloway

Oh, I do believe that they do! I had to have a molar extracted due to crowding by my wisdom tooth. Dentist took x-rays & sent me to his oral surgeon right down the block. Okay, fine, whatever. I go. The oral surgeon tells me that my tooth roots are very long; they go into my jaw bone. He will have wire my jaw shut for 3 weeks & I might has some paralysis on that side, but not to worry, no one would notice. YEAH, cept for me. I took the same x-rays to a different surgeon. I didn’t tell him what the first yoyo said until he was done with his consult. It floored him. So my $1,200 extraction became a $160.00 virtually pain free procedure. Definitely go for a second opinion!!

SSanf, I have a few questions on this affiliate marketing thing and I was wondering if you would be so kind as to review my site. Would it be okay for me to e-mail you later?

Regards;

Kimberly

Obsidian sure, but I am no expert.

I just got back. The first guy wanted $321! I got the same job done for $140. Now, that's a lot of commissions to me. I am changing dentists right now. This guy was just fine and maybe I can afford him.

I am out of pain for the moment. Novocain, gotta love it.

Also, what amazed me was that I sat in pain for two days before my regular dentist could work me into his busy schedual. By calling around, I got it done in two and a half hours!!

[This message was edited by SSanf on October 09, 2002 at 04:09 PM.]

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Doctors in the same health plan network are encouraged, and rewarded for referrals within their network, so I know that happens.

If they're not in the same network, they could possibly have something on the side arranged.

Is it your wisdom teeth? I just had mine out this year after a pain filled 3 weeks of waiting and hoping it would go away.

I didn't get put out for it either. Went in, numbed me up in about a half hours time, then pulled all of them out in less than 4 minutes, without pain or fuss.

Modern, and skilled dentists are amazing compared to what we grew up with. My advice, whatever you do, find a young dentist with a decent/professional practice. They know all the new techniques, especially about pain management, and are usually much cooler than the old guys I used to have to see when I was younger.

Matter of choice but I am more comfortable with a well seasoned dentist. Figure he has seen it all and already made most of his big boo-boos.

Had two of my back chompers pulled. Heading down the road toward dentures at this point. They don't last forever and mine are all about worn out.

These ones were very deep and took a lot of strength to pull. It took a long time wiggling them and then pulling like a farm hand to get them to come out at all. Stubborn little buggers.

But, I was all numbed up. There is a reall BIG hole in my head tonight. I don't want the novocain to wear off! It's gunna hurt. I just know it.

Nooo!! It's not gonna hurt ya! Look how deep my roots are!! hehehe But seriously, you shouldn't experience to much pain unless you get that dry socket thingy, heard that was a big one. Have you thought about implants? My Dad got them a few years back and he likes them. Our family teeth are really soft, they chip & break very easily. I've been getting root canals, caps and porcelain veneers; I’ve just about had it with hands in my mouth. Yeah, they look pretty, but they are expensive and time consuming. Gosh, just rip it all out and insert the fake stuff at this point. HA!

Anyway, glad you got a second opinion on the cost and that you are feeling better!!! Hey, an expert is anyone who knows more then me, which is you. I’ve been reading all your questions and watching your progress since you signed on. You aren’t shy, like me, to ask questions and that has made you my inspiration…hope you don’t mind!*S*

Hope you wake up in the morning feeling wonderful!

Kimberly

What a nice thing to say!

I'm OK, I guess. Sore but it hurts less than when they were in. Feels strange and I am afraid to stir up those sore places by eating anything. Well, I need to lose weight, these days, anyhow.

This getting old business sucks until you consider the alternative.

Actually, I think I may know a few things because of interaction with folks here so much. The two big break throughs were learning how to do includes and how to make my own product links at CJ. Both are things I learned from ABW members. They made such a difference. Those two things made it possible to put together hundreds of pages in rapid order. Also, since google wasn't using meta tags, I said to heck with them which sped things up a lot. Pages got in just the same and often ranked even higher. Now, I may have to go back and add them.

[This message was edited by SSanf on October 10, 2002 at 06:22 AM.]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    SSanf,

Hope you are feeling better and not in too much pain since the Novacaine has worn off. If he gave you any pain meds, enjoy them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Seriously, if the roots were deep and it left a hole and you start having the pain, try of oil of clove like MJ recommended. I had an extraction from the back that left the big hole. My dentist packed it with gauze that was soaked in the oil of cloves. It was great. I had no pain. Didn't realize how much it helped until a week later and they changed the guaze. They couldn't get the new packing back in there quick enough for me!

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread