ABW Ambassador
    I have to laugh to stop from crying. My affiliate earnings are being slashed by 60% with this yahoo switch. I made a measly $70 on cj yesterday and my average is $250 or more. Hopefully I will still earn something on my other affiliate networks so that I can at least feed my kids and pay the bills for this house. They had to wait until I quit the day job didn't they. Looks like I'll be looking for another job if I can't figure out how to got in good with google.

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

ABW Ambassador
    Don't worry yet. Who knows what can happen with the next update. The first time i started doing this i had inherited a niche site (geocities lol) that was #1 on some search engines for a couple of years. Then on an update big drop. I was actually kind of happy knowing that search engines do change and update so you always have a chance. You can be at the bottom today and back on top tomorrow. Just ride it out for awhile and see what happens.

I had 10 days of a real slump, but they finally picked back up two days ago, so there is hope. Hang in there!

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing
    "Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Keep adding pages! I've been in a huge slump for several weeks, but that's okay, just attack from a different angle or approach! If you're ticked off, now is a GREAT time to calm yourself, focus anger, and build a killer page!

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Jada,

I understand your anxiety. You may want to start strategizing other traffic streams to your site besides search engines, particularly if most of your traffic has been coming from one source. Not knowing what your sites are really like it's hard to come up with specific examples.

Some of my most productive (ie converted sales) traffic have come from the most unexpected places. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] And I can honestly say that things that I have done which have been "free" marketing have yielded far better results than when I've paid for it! Go figure. Sometimes I've done some little thing, and I've gotten a very unexpected and pleasant surprise. Don't give up, put that thinking cap on and get creative!

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    No! Jada, you're the reason I keep on plugging away at this affiliate thing, convincing my wife that it's going to pay for a new car to replace the rusting, oil-burning thing we have now!

I saw the picture of the house that you posted and that's the dream I keep hanging on to.

You have to turn it around - for my sake [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-----------
    JoKe-ZoNe
    -----------

I can't do much for your rankings Jada but you can turn my garden over for food and accomodation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about your drop in the engines but if it means anything I lost loads of ranking pages with Google for the past two months, (although funny enough my earnings did not drop an awful lot) This month it seems I am back in favor again (yet I have not done any alterations on the sites [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] ) Just stick it out try not to alter your pages too much.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Guys - I AM NOT GIVING UP!!!! And definately don't want to loss this house that I've worked so hard to get. I will be working my butt off for the next several months. I have a whole load of sites to redo, reoptimize and add pages too. Then will come the real task of making up with Google and kissin some butt. I had pretty much given up on google because I had yahoo down to a science and now its changed. So Now the time has come for me to study hard and do some serious work. Today I managed to start my first really big product site. I have the layout formatted and all the links pages named. Now I just gotta get the products in there. I'm hoping this will be a backup and replenish some of the lost income. I believe in affiliate marketing and I know where it can get you if you just work hard and then harder when you have to. I WILL NOT GIVE UP OR GIVE IN!!!!! NEVER!!! Thanks for the encouragement.

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Jada, you were averaging $250 a day?

ouch...didn't you save any of that phat cash?

sorry to hear the change messed you up.

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliate Makeover - I was making more than that off of CJ. And to answer the savings questions - I put $60,000 of that down on my new house, paid $23,000 for new furniture, and a huge bulk of it went to paying down old bills, I never thought this would happen - NEVER - so unfortunately my strategy was all wrong when it comes to my finances - I figured once I paid the bills down, I'd start saving for that rainy day. I will be getting a nice check this month and I can stash away several thousand but next month is going to suck. I'm not going to go bankrupt - I still have my DH but I won't be rolling in dough anymore until I get these million sites I have better google rankings. The good thing is that all of my sites are in google but just need tweaked for better rankings. I have hired a SEO company to do some of that for me as well.

JadaKiss

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sorry to hear how Yahoo listings getting moved impacted your income so badly ..JudaKiss. You also have to be getting hurt by the Parasites and the BHO "incent" type Dupers. Looks like you need to build yourself some type of shopping hub site that garners in bookmarks rather then just rely on the "in&out" new traffic from SE's. The hub could then link shoppers to your merchant/product doorway pages and get good ranking in all SE's.

I can get you 20% commission on Holdup Suspenders www.suspenders.com/affiliate.htm which is parasite free, but they offer no coupons or specials beyond the occassional seasonal offers if you reward shoppers. They only incent their own repeat customers with sporatic buy 2 get free freight offers.

WebMaster Mike

I posted this elsewhere, but there are multiple threads running on this.

The thought occurred to me that the Yahoo! results are now giving more prominence to ODP-enchanced Google listings than there own.. and, as we all know, the ODP doesn't list affiliate sites.. so maybe the solution is to look at dropshipping?

Also, consider targetting non-US markets. If you can find UK, German, French or Canadian merchants, promote them off the back of your US ones.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    You guys must be reading my mind. Just about 2 weeks ago I decided to venture into the wholesale/dropship business. So I'm developing some sites right now for the products that I found. Thanks - I'm glad I know I'm headed in the right direction. I hope this flys. I just need to find a good merchant account. Arghh!!

JadaKiss

At lot of affiliates have been hit harder than this by the google algo change alone. Don't let the changes slow you down.. just stay focused and keep building your business.

Hey Jada, sorry to hear you've been hit hard,
    but I've no doubt you'll find a work around
    and be smiling again
    ...head down..get to work girl and although it may sound trite...think outside the box!

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

If you set up some sites to sell your own products then you can get into Overture and some other PPCs. I know...Overture sucks sometimes, but at least you have a back-up if Google or Yahoo dumps you. Selling and shipping your own stuff is a pain, but it's a good safety net. We do just enough to cover the bills in case everything else goes down the drain.

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

The Yahoo switch has been the best thing to happen for me since I learned about sliced bread.
    (About 6 months ago) Perhaps they decided to look for sites designed by dummys. You know, people that know nothing about optimizing.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread