ABW Ambassador
    Was just curious what you leave on when you go to bed or leave the house. I've heard different things for which is best. Right now i shut it all down when i go to bed.

Do you
    1. Shut it all down
    2. Both monitor and computer are on 24 hrs a day
    3. Leave computer on but turn off monitor

I used to leave both on 24/7 but monitor evertually went bad. Was this because i left it on all the time?

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

When I go to sleep or away more then 1 hour I:

1. Shut it all down

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1™:
    I used to leave both on 24/7<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I shut it completely off at the end of the day, but I used to leave it on 24/7 years ago. I think my longest stretch was about 90 days when I ran OS/2 and that shut-down was only because I applied a service pack. Although, XP seems rock-solid here, I could probably make that again, but back then I used it for fax reception too so there was a reason for it. With Win95/8/Me I used to reboot multiple times a day just to keep it running acceptably.

I honestly don't think it matters all that much, but I'd not shut down unless I expected to be away for more than 4 hours at minimum - the most stress on the components are during start-up.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I shut everything off when I go to bed otherwise it's all on about 16 hours a day.

As you climb the ladder of success, be sure it's leaning against the right building.

Affiliate Manager
    It's all on 24/7

At home, my oldest monitor just died after 7 years of that treatment

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Everything stays on here 24/7. The only time I shut down is when there is really bad thunderstorms and then I even unplug. If I'm going to be for more than a day or 2 I'll shutdown, but that's just because the weather is so unpredictable here.

Now that I have XP, it seems to put my monitor on sleep if the computer has been inactive for a certain period of time. My last monitor lasted me about 5 or 6 years and it was a real cheapie one.

Shut down at night?!? No way. That would mean I would have to reboot to do the quick email check in the middle of the night when mother nature wakes me up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    I have four systems running here at all times. They run 24/7, and are hooked up to multiple UPS systems. I learned years ago that redundency is key, so I have regular backups on a grandfather system.

Frankly, it is harder on your CPU to power-up/power-down than it is to run it consistantly.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. Both monitor and computer are on 24 hrs a day<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    computer??? computers!

Everything is on 24/7 here. Unless I'm going to be out for several days, then SOME get shut down.

I have something similar to Don...:D

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I turn everything off in the when I'm "done".

Though since I'm never really "done", I usually end up turning the computer back on later in the evening.

Sometimes making it a little harder to get on the computer keeps me off of it. Which is hard to do. If I left it on all the time I'd be on it even more.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah....when its always on.. its so easy to "Just sit down for 5 mins" Yeah, right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] 5 mins becomes an hour, an hour becomes another project started, blah blah.

--

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    When I'm trying to sleep it's all shut down. Harder on the computer or not, that's one less humming racket for me to try to sleep through.

Other than that, it's usually on for about 18 hours/day. Or night, as the case usually is! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If a thunderstorm happens, I unplug it all if it gets too windy outside since the power is prone to go on and off repeatedly during those times.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    I'd recommend investing in a UPS if you don't already have one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Still a good idea to unplug during storms, I guess.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--

I shut everything down at night and when I'm leaving the house for more than a few hours. Other than that, it's on.

I'm on cable, so I'm always connected to the Internet, and although I have good firewall and virus protection, I don't like walking away and leaving it unattended for too long.

You never know what little program has been bundled with another one, running in the background...if you know what I mean.

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I shut down everything when I leave the house or go to bed. But I do try to shut down 2-3 times during the day to force myself to be away from the computer.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    What is sleep? lol

I have it on 24/7 for most of the week, give it some rest on sundays OR on CJ's "tracking not affected" (upgrade) days. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---
    "Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals" - The Tathagata

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread