Does anyone here know of any places to buy stock online, I'm planning to buy stock from some internet companys soon.

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

ABW Ambassador
    Don't buy internet stocks - short them.

Affiliates will be headed south and going out of biz in a big way, ppc on google etc will be reduced, many hosting accounts will go by the way side and domain name growth / new web sites will be next to non existant. Even companies like amazon and yahoo will feel the pressure from the parasites and be subjected to lower margins going forward.

Consumers are already in high debt levels and low interest rates that have fueled spending will start to cease as credit cards are maxed out. New home sales will slow dramitically and all that new furniture and trimmings that go inside a new home will result in fewer speding in the online and retail sector as well. I look for very a stagnated economy that will suffer due to all of the above issues.

Brink and morter companies are having to compete more strongly with sales or they are suffering from not doing so, profit margins are weak and online merchants are paying higher commissions to parasites with reduced profits already an issue. This add's additional concerns to the online and retail industries as well.

Watch for computer sales numbers out after Christmas - Recent machines are much higher-end and consumers are not upgrading like they have in the past. It's 2002 and windows 98 is still the predominent OS being used by web surfers today - does that tell you anything?

There may be a big upgrade cycle in around two years but that isn't a reason to buy yet. With the reudced prices and lower margins (even when an upgrade cycle starts) don't look for lot's of excitement or really big numbers to come out of it as a result. Big Corps are not developing new applications or building new web sites at record levels now which has resulted in massive layoffs and many people have pulled money out of the markets to live on while they seek other forms of employment and to protect themselves from the massive financial losses in the last 2 years.

I don't see a single reason for the market to make big gains in the next year but see many for it to stagnate and even fall.

Throw in the possibility for additional terrorist attacks in a current shakey market and boy old boy.... Being long is not where you want to be.

Considering the number of people laid off around the "internet arena" who are use to making big money, much lower expectations going forward and the fact that many affiliates who either lived off of or had higher spending capabilites from affiliate earnings which will be dramitically reduced as a result of economic conditions and parasites gaining additional strength and it surely is not a time to buy internet stocks.

"I expect a huge proliferation of parasites" as unemployed technical people begin to enter the dark side encouraged by what they see as a wildly profitible business where open stealing and diversion of profits are openly embraced.

There will be a major shift in the coming years as the middle class is pushed to it's limits into reduced income levels they are not familiar with. The rich will continue to get richer and the poor to medium class folks are in for a tough run as monopolistic software that restricts open and fair competition erodes the current state of affairs.

I disagree happypoon, I think the internet will get better within the next year or so.

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

ABW Ambassador
    Then Buy buy buy and then buy some more [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I certainly don't profess to be a great investor myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I just know I'm not jumping in and figured I'd share my perspective.

I agree with jasonco12.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Jason,
    I honestly don't think 2003 will be the year to get back into internet stocks. If you have some faves, you may want to keep an eye on them during this time, though. But then, when it comes to investing, I'm heavily into fundamentals, and most internet companies are still pretty weak and overvalued, looking at it from that perspective.

I sort of expect Wall Street in 2003 to go pretty much sideways - barring any terrorist attacks stateside. I don't see a major recovery happening yet. There's still money to be made - there always is - but serious investors, both fundamental and technical, will have to look a little harder for the goodies.

J

ABW Ambassador
    Poon- I'd like to know your source for the Win98 number. *My* visitors are predominately WinXP/IE6, and I thought thats what the stats said as well.

--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I agree with jasonco12.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jason,
    We trade daily at our web site chat room.We trade the emini futures and stostrader is usually in the room from noon on.I would suggest you stop buy and have a chat with him.We have been doing this since 1994 so we have some experience.
    Thanks
    Stockstoshop
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Joeseph,

http://www.pcpitstop.com/research/OS.asp

Indeed XP is coming on but my sites stats give 98 a huge leap over XP (My customers are older in general and I don't cater to high tech so that likely explains my big difference).

Windows XP 176 28.8 %
    Windows 98 156 25.5 %
    Windows 2000 97 15.9 %
    Windows Me 58 9.5 %
    Unknown Unknown 36 5.9 %
    Windows 95 35 5.7 %
    Windows NT 29 4.7 %
    Mac OS 23 3.7 %

December stats from one of my sites, catering to baseball card collectors.

Thanks everyone for the feedback I'll wait...

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Jason,

I haven't seen an answer to your question, so here it is:

Datek Online, now at Ameritrade.com - One of the best places to buy stocks online.

As far as Internet stokcs go, related to affiliate marketing, here are my suggestions:

Buy Overstock.com (OSTK)if they go under $8 again.
    Buy Amazon.com (AMZN) if they go under $15 again.
    Buy NetFlix.com (NFLX)if they go under $6 again.
    Buy 1-800-Flowers (FLWS) if they go under $5 (they are close to that.)

Buy "Brylane Group" if they ever go public.

Don't buy eBay.com (EBAY), Yahoo! (YHOO).

I think, there is never bad time to buy stocks, and you usually find good prices, when nobody else is buying, and everyvody is saying "don't buy stocks now." But, If I were you, I'd wait and see how the problem with Iraq gets resolved, then take a look into it.

Much luck, you'll need it.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread