And what a Barbie Babe she is, decked out in her sexy black (or, if you prefer, pink) garters, stockings and obligatory stiletto heels.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] That blows.

J

I want one of those! I'm older now! Mamma can't spank me for taking her clothes off and putting Ken on top of her! LOL....What's next? I've got Cheech and Chong Action Figures in the Garage. Thought I had seen it all.

Don,
    Do you realize what a product like this does to a young girl's image of herself? Some become anorexic in an attempt to live up to it, some overeat because they know they'll never achieve it, some develop really awful issues in their relationships because they never come to grips with a healthy sexuality. And then there's the real biggie - um, hey there, women can do stuff other than sex! We're valuable memebers of society through our work as creative entities and businesswomen, even when we're not giving our bodies to guys (which yes, can be enjoyable recreation, especially when it's between two mutally respecting adults) or bearing children.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but people need a reality check. Mattel says they're not marketing this Barbie to children, but geez, get real! Little girls get enough of a warped sense of womanhood as it is through every media outlet imaginable - why add fuel to the fire?

J

I stand corrected and I do see your point, but in all honesty we are all adults in here (or in the least I assume as a collective), and I was only joking. I just remembered a time my sister told on me when I was 11 or so because I stripped a Barbie naked, as well as Ken and left the dolls in a compromising position with one another on her mantle. I got the tar beat out of me for that one. I do think Barbie is a negative influence on young girls as in reality it is almost impossible for the average girl to appear as Barbie does.

It's strange how the standard for what is beautiful changes through the ages for the status quo. In Greco-Roman times it was a small bust, slight pudge in the tummy and big butt. Now it's starvation in the mid section, huge breasts(fake breasts as it is not common for starving girls to retain big breasts), and big butts. Kind of sad really. I can relate in a way because as a guy, I've always been lacking in muscles,...such is the hands we are dealt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And what a Barbie Babe she is, decked out in her sexy black (or, if you prefer, pink) garters, stockings and obligatory stiletto heels. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I guess we know now how she got her dream home and her Ferrari.

But in all seriousness, I think Janiss is right about Barbie being a bad example to young girls. It seems to me that the message of Barbie is: If you look good and trade off your looks, you can get anything you want. And not: There is whole world of opportunity open to you. If you want a Ferrari you’ll look like Barbie and then you’ll have everything you could ever want, if not the most you can hope for is to be Barbie’s brunette friend. After all I’ve never heard of a Heart Surgeon Barbie or a Secretary General Barbie or a Pulitzer Prize Winning Barbie.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

I thought you were joking until I followed your link.

I was expecting to find a 5'6" tall blow up Barbie by your description.

I wonder who they are marketing this for, surely not the 5-12 year old girls. I'd never buy one for a child, but I'd sure try to market it to Barbie collectors, since most of them are adults.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread