Hey everyone! I'm new as an affiliate and I surely can't be called a knowledgable HTML programmer. But I would like to ask if anyone can help me figure out how to use a drop down menu to go directly to a merchant's web site and still get credit for the sale if it occurs. I can create the drop down menu and link to one on my own pages and then go to the merchant's site but I would like for the drop down selection to go directly. Otherwise there is a lot of coding involved.

Can anyone helP?

Rick
    Mallofplenty.com

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    &lt;html&gt;
    &lt;head&gt;
    &lt;/head&gt;

&lt;body&gt;
    &lt;script language="javascript"&gt;

function select_choice(e)
    {
    redirect = e.value;

window.location = redirect;
    }

&lt;/script&gt;

&lt;select name="classifieds" onChange="javascript:select_choice(this)" onSelect="javascript:select_choice(this)"&gt;
    &lt;option value="http://sell.com?aff-id=123"&gt;Sell&lt;/option&gt;
    &lt;option value="http://ebay.com?aff-id=abc"&gt;eBay&lt;/option&gt;
    &lt;option value="http://bargainandhanggle.com?aff-id=foo"&gt;BargainAndHaggle&lt;/option&gt;
    &lt;/select&gt;

&lt;/body&gt;
    &lt;/html&gt;

Basically, just put your own deep links inplace of the ones in the value properties.

Hope this is what you where talking about.

kpuc
    </pre>

It goes without saying this relies on javascript which means if the visitor has it disabled, then you can kiss the commission good-bye.

Thanks, This helps a lot. In your experience what percentage of people have java scripts disabled. Is it worth it to go this route? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Rick
    Mallofplenty.com

On two high profile sites I maintain, less than 3% of visitors have their security settings high enough to disable this method.

IMHO, not a big concern. Has anyone seen different percentages?

Oh, another option would be to simply list out all of the options and make it look pretty via CSS, guess it depends on how many options you want to display.

Kpuc

Kpuc - Sorry if this sounds dumb, but like I said earlier I am new at this stuff. In the value parameter can I use aff-id=XXX for all merchants and does it matter that in my actual links that parameter is different. ie, is the only important thing my id number and the aff-id parameter just a way to communicate it? Will the merchants recognize aff-id=xxx and give me credit for the sale just like any other link?

Thanks for your help here!

Rick
    Mallofplenty.com

No

You must put in the full url that you would normally use to redirect someone and make money from it. That was just a simplified (but still confusing) example of a link.

Kpuc.

Kpuc

Believe it or not I think I understand. I tried it and I am comfortable that it will work. My quest now is to figure out how to do this and make the merchant appear in a new window. Any suggestions?

You've been a BIG help....Thanks

Rick
    Mallofplenty.com

ABW Ambassador
    The easiest way to open into a new window is to ad target="new"&gt; or target="_new"&gt; at the end of the url string: www.blabba.com target="new"

Another way is to use javascript where you control all aspects of the opening window. You can, and I suggest you do, open with the ability of the user to scroll, have status and tools bars, etc. You can control the size of each window in all aspects. Is this what you want?

A good site for all types of scripts, examples and some exlanations for beginners on up, is http://javascript.internet.com
    Brian
    aka Cyclone @ CyclonesFunnel.com

Cyclone - I appreciate the info. I was refering to being able to open in another window while using the Java Script drop down menu that Kpuc was helping me with. I knew I could use "_new" or "_blank" in normal HTML but for some reason it does not work as part of the value="http://.....Target="new". I will check out the web site with the helpful Java Scripts as you suggested and see if there may be another way to work this out.

Thanks for your help!

Rick
    Mallofplenty.com

First, good suggestion Cycle about giving the user full control.

Rick S, here is an example.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

&lt;html&gt;
    &lt;head&gt;
    &lt;/head&gt;

&lt;body&gt;
    &lt;script language="javascript"&gt;

function select_choice(e)
    {
    redirect = e.value;

open_window(redirect, 'Thank You For Using My Portal', '800', '600');
    }

var newWin;
    function open_window(docUrl, windowName, width, height)
    {
    newWin = window.open(docUrl, windowName,
    'status=yes,toolbar=yes,location=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=' +
    width + ',height=' + height);

if (newWin.resizeTo)
    {
    newWin.resizeTo(width, height);
    }
    else
    {
    // no resizeTo method; we must close and open the window at the specified size
    newWin.close();
    window.setTimeout("newWin = window.open('" + docUrl + "', '" + windowName +
    "', 'status=yes,toolbar=yes,location=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=" +
    width + ",height=" + height + "');", 50);
    }

newWin.location = docUrl;
    newWin.focus();
    }

&lt;/script&gt;

&lt;select name="classifieds" onChange="javascript:select_choice(this)" onSelect="javascript:select_choice(this)"&gt;
    &lt;option value="http://sell.com?aff-id=123"&gt;Sell&lt;/option&gt;
    &lt;option value="http://ebay.com?aff-id=abc"&gt;eBay&lt;/option&gt;
    &lt;option value="http://bargainandhanggle.com?aff-id=foo"&gt;BargainAndHaggle&lt;/option&gt;
    &lt;/select&gt;

&lt;/body&gt;
    &lt;/html&gt;

</pre>

The 'Thank You For Using My Portal' is the title of the new window, change that to whatever you want, and the last two parameters are the new window's width and height;

Kpuc

Kpuc

You are amazing. This is extreamly helpful. When I first joined into this chat room I was not sure how folks would respond. What a tremedous asset this has been. I really appreciate the patience you have shown working with a novice such as I am. I hope you are doing well with your site(s) as folks like you deserve success.

Thanks again. Thanks to you also Cyclone!

PS Where is Bit Texas?

Rick
    Mallofplenty.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread