"The humanitarian crisis is a real crisis, it's not just a potential crisis,"

AP Photo

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    It is sad, but when you point a loaded gun at people, they tend to not stick around and help you unpack your groceries.

This is hardly an instant or unforseen situation. They have been living off the collective welfare of the world for a long time. Their leader knows exactly what he could do to end the conflict and get the aid.

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A quick check of Google under North Korea Starvation shows that this is an ongoing problem, with stories from as far back as 1997 showing in the top 10 results. This tells me that something is fundamentally wrong over there--and that it's been going on a lot longer than any current crisis.

This article has a bit about how they got in that desperate condition (look about halfway down the page, near a map showing N. Korea and China):

1999 N. Korea article

It says the collapse of the Soviet Union cost them their fuel supply, and that fertilizer factories have shut down. These things combined to cut food output there by "half or more"...

It also says the N. Korean government also did a "forced migration" of 2 million people into the countryside, to work on the farms.

And Pyongyang's preference for military projects over food aid was already interfering with their international relations (and therefore food aid)--only back then it was Japan that had problems with them.

Of course, a couple of articles can't describe the entire background of a situation like that. Communist governments in general are known for mismanagement, a few years ago there was a change in leadership in N. Korea, and N. Korea seems to be particularly closed off to foreign influence as well. These factors and more could be compounding the situation. The fact that the famine has been going on for most of Kim Jong Il's reign could also be noncoincidental...

From The BBC's profile of Kim Jong Il:

"After the death of Kim Il-sung in 1994, it was three years before he [Kim Jong Il] took over the leadership of the ruling Korean Workers' Party."

On second thought, no coincidence at all! He takes full control-->Famine starts. Whether by accident or design, I'd say it's a good guess that the blame lies right at that guy's feet.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

[Edited to add BBC info I discovered]

[This message was edited by Leader on January 18, 2003 at 08:29 PM.]

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Leader made some very good points that I agree with.

I don't think this a new problem. I feel that they are publicizing it more now when everyone is vulnerable to try and drum up some support.

Granted, I feel for those that are effected by this close to home, BUT you have to be willing to help yourself if you expect to receive help from others.

In some ways the conflict with Korea worries me more than the conflict with Iraq. I think Korea has been producing the very things they weren't supposed to be for a long time and have more resources to make a mass destruction weapon that Iraq.

When I compare them to Iraq it is sort of like saying the most harm Iraq can do in comparison to what Korea may be capable of is throw Camel dung at us.

I hope I am wrong.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    A quick check of Google under North Korea Starvation shows that this is an ongoing problem, with stories from as far back as 1997 showing in the top 10 results. This tells me that something is fundamentally wrong over there<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right! Sit in front of your computer and read something, then watch some TV, and comfortably decide what causes the problems at the other side of the world and what's wrong with them. How American!

The fact of the matter is that while those people and more around to world starved to death, we, here in America, are fed to death!

"Oh, they have A-bombs, F-bombs, they may use it, they may sell it, blah, blah, blah"

In its entire history, world has seen *twice* how devastating nuclear bombs can be, and yes, both were thrown by Americans. No we go around to police the world, and try to make sure, nobody else has them. How American!

ABW Ambassador
    SamBay, by all means - donate all your affiliate money and stop posting on the board so you can spend more quality time feeding the North Koreans.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> we, here in America, are fed to death! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only *some* Americans have too much feeding. Just a few miles from those overweight Americans you hear about--also on TV!--there are malnourished people! But you hardly ever hear about them, because that doesn't make good press. That does not mean they aren't there...

Click THIS and see those that YOU have been ignoring! And if you think Americans are all being "fed to death"--you have been ignoring a LOT...

As for the "how American" bit --if you don't like what it means to be American, there are over 100 other countries you can buzz off to.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    The North Korea and African problems have been going on for a long time. There have been mass starvations in China, and very little to prevent one from happening in the United States.

The first thing that leads to starvation in is corrupt government and corrupt business.

American businesses are generally pretty honest in their dealings. If you get a job, it is very unlikely that your employer would withhold you check for months (like affiliate networks).

I think US business has taken a big U turn with the new economy and dot com mantality. We might be headed toward a nice little famine ourselves. We had one in the 1930s. There are quite a few American families that don't have the assets to withstand months with neither a paycheck nor unemployment check.

BTW, If you watch reports coming from North Korea, the government denies that there is a famine and that the famine is a propaganda campaign of the western imperial governments in their attempt to undermine the North Korean government.

North Korea's isolation is nothing new, nor is their current problem of starvation, and niether is it American made.

The Jung leadership in North Korea has chosen their own path, and chosen to unwisely subject their people to the worst form of isolationism. They continue to starve their people of food, clothing, and heat - let alone ANY of the comforts we take for granted here in the USA or in other western countries for that matter.

Just because we have comfort and freedom, doesn't mean we have to feel guilty that others are suffering.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> North Korea has relied heavily on outside donations to feed its 23-million population over the past seven years because of a failed centralized economic policy and a series of natural disasters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry but if building nuclear bombs is more important than feeding starving babies (which to N Korea Govt it seems to be) then they are evil. I know this will sound horrible and I'll take some guff, but I dont want my tax dollars sent to N Korea to feed their people while their Govt spends all its money developing Nuclear weapons.

I know, the poor babies....yes its sad. But I've got babies right here in my home in the US that I don't want to lose anytime in the future from attacks from their country or terrorists using bombs or other weapons bought from N Korea either.

So how do you save the innocent without allowing the evil to continue on its evil quest? that is the question of the hour not just in N Korea but in Afghanistan, Iraq, and so on.

It is always the innocent who suffer most at the hand of irresponsible/ignorant/evil regime

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sorry but if building nuclear bombs is more important than feeding starving babies (which to N Korea Govt it seems to be) then they are evil.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it better.

When the F? are Bombs more important than food?

I do feel bad for that child but from what I understand my grandfather fought with his life on the line to try an prevent this from happening. This is the fault of the evil communists, anti-religious, anti-god, anti-american, left wing fanatics. Those people will burn in hell for what they've done to that child.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> developing Nuclear weapons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the collapse of the Soviet Union cost them their fuel supply <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but..... (I could be wrong here,) I thought they were building nuclear power plants, the by products of which could be potentially be used to build nuclear weapons, not that they are building weapons right now.

Since they have been cut off from other resources, maybe they want the nuclear power plants to keep their people warm. How else are they going to do it?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on January 20, 2003 at 06:10 AM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The N. Korean Nuke power plants that will be designed to produce electric power are under construction using SOFT WATER techniques. These are being built by the US and Russia under the 1994 NO NUKE bomb plans. The exisiting reactivated Nuke plant and plutonium extraction labs just re-opened can't product enough poer to light street lamps in one N Korean Village.

Only purpose is to produce 4-6 Nuke Bomb warheads within 3 months and hold Japan, S. Korea and the USA as Nucular hostiges for ransome money. They want to sell the Nukes and their missles to the Arabs and Al Quida or other terrorists. They have 2 Nukes right now taht can hit Hawaii or Alaska and these wanks are not beyond using one of them to exhort money from the world.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! Where's the love and show me the money?

North Korea has tacitly admitteed having nuclear weapons, and apparently may have the capability to deliver them a great distance.

For their intent, please review any of the incidents at the DMZ, or spying/sabotage incidents in just the last ten years.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread