Someone I know died last week, and some of us would like to keep his personal website going, and add a memorial section to it.

The domain name was registered with register.com, and the email address they have on file for him is (I'm almost positive) no longer active. He moved 2 months ago, and wouldn't have kept the local ISP. the domain registration is good for several more years, but we don't know how to change the nameserver info.

The site is hosted at earthlink, and we haven't yet tried to find any password info on his computer, so I don't know if that's even available. His credit cards have been cancelled, so the hosting bill won't be paid unless someone does something.

He was in Denver, I'm in Los Angeles, so I won't be able to look on his computer for the information that might be available. He doesn't seem to have any computer-savvy friends in Denver.

I suppose the simplest thing would be to just abandon the domain and get a new one. But it was hisname.com, so we hate to do that.

I'm not sure what I'm asking, just does anyone have any good ideas, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

If you don't have access to his email address, the domain would appear lost. The ISP would likely cancel his email account as well if the bills arent paid.

To change the email address registered with a domain name, without having access to the original email address, requires filling out a document (available at the registrar's site) and have it signed by a notary.

I would believe the domain now belongs to his heirs. In that case they have to take ownership of the domain, then file a document as described above. I'm not sure though, since I only have experince from having lost an email address.

So, the easiest thing would be to get access to his email.

-- Less is more --

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    As far as adding the memorial section, I unfortunately created a memorial site last year for my dad - maybe you can get some ideas... http://www.callmegary.com

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

Affiliate managers - get the <b>AffStat 2003 Report</b> at http://www.affstat.com/ for affiliate marketing benchmarks, resources, and best practices.

ABW Ambassador
    The family and heirs will have legal jurisdiction over the site and the copyright of the content. Establishing and clarifying legal ownership is the first and most important issue.

Once someone has legal ownership, then transferring the domain will be a matter of battling the bureaucracy. If the name is expiring soon, you might just renew it, because the bureaucracy takes several months. The registrars don't seem to care who pays a renewal fee.

Be sure you get the legal ownership issues cleared up before you try transferring the domain.

BTW, this is a great reminder that affiliates should have a cleanly designed will, and clarify any inheritance issues.

If you have serious money coming in, the best bet is to have an LLC. That way the business is one cleanly defined asset.

I am sorry to hear of your loss of a friend.
    Perhaps if you lose hisname.com you could register hisname-memorial site.com or something else that still uses his name..wait for hisname.com to come open again and nab it then.

Bill
    Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.
    George Gurdjieff

When my husband died last year I couldn't get access to any of his accounts, even as his wife. Most hosts/ISP's are touchy about this.

As a side note...I know most of us have private passwords for email and or access but when you go, they go with you. Give it to someone you trust or put it somewhere they will find you if something happens to you.

A wishbone has never taken place of a backbone.

If the heirs are willing, have them send you his hard drive...or better yet, offer to pay for them to ship you his computer.

They may have no computer skills and be glad to have you do this, especially if they trust you to return the computer after you grab the information. Ask them to have it professionally wrapped at Mail Boxes Etc. or somewhere similar. It will cost but may be worth it for the satisfaction.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends loss :0(

Jason
    Santa Cruz

As a practical suggestion I'd get a reservation on it at Snapnames which should stop it falling into the wrong hands. If it's a low-key website there shouldn't be a reservation on it, but if it EXPIRES it may well get bought up before you can get it.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    Missdonna....

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that I will keep you in my thoughts.

Best to you,

Not so Obstinate in this case - Don

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks, all, for your thoughts and suggestions.

He had no close family. The relatives have cleaned out his apartment, I understand, so there's nothing his friends can work with. The email address he had his domain registered with isn't in operation anymore, so we can't do anything with his doman until it expires in 2 years.

So I suppose we'll just get inmemoryofhisname.com or something and do a memorial site that way.

Donna

Well, at least if it's two years it's not going to end up in the hands of cybersquatters.

If your friend had a will then somewhere under the terms of that his sundry possessions would have been passed on to someone as an asset.. that's the starting point. But you'll probably have to involve lawyers somewhere.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread