The Mirror, UK
    NORMAN: I JUST HATE ALL THE AMERICANT
    Jan 24 2003

THE thing many of us who are regarded as "anti-American" really hate about the USA isn't the greed, arrogance and materialism or the macho displays of military might, the boastfulness, the ignorance or even the fabled idiocy of its President.

It's the hypocrisy.

It's the outrage about foreign regimes ignoring human rights from a country in which young men are serving 50 years, under the "three strikes" rule, for stealing a slice of pizza or a CD.

It's the grandiose declarations about freedom from people who crush it elsewhere at will, as in Chile in the early 70s when an elected President was murdered in a CIA-backed coup and replaced by an American-backed fascist.

It's the endless, pious lecturing about democracy and equality from a regime that stole an election by denying blacks and Jews in Florida the right to vote.

It is, in short, the Grand Canyon-sized gulf between the worthy words and the rancid reality.

Every great empire that ever existed, the British included, did terrible things to gain wealth and power. But none ever cloaked its ambitions behind so much nauseating cant.

The true motives (oil, Bush's second term, diverting attention from al-Qaeda and North Korea, and so on) behind this coming assault on Baghdad have been rehearsed enough. So let's consider not the reasons for waging war but the method.

If it comes to it, the US (with minimal yapping and snapping from her trusty British bulldog) will use a massive concentration of aerial bombing.

It's called the Powell Doctrine after its inventor, Colin. You smash and demoralise the enemy with a barrage of cruise missiles and "smart" bombs until the people's spirit is as crushed as the army's.

That way, your own soldiers don't have to do any fighting.

It worked against Milosevic in Belgrade and it will probably work in Iraq, too, enabling US troops to walk into the cities unopposed.

But the human cost will be terrible. In former Yugoslavia, hospitals, schools and convoys of refugees were destroyed by bombs that are never quite as smart as the Pentagon suggests.

The "collateral damage", to use that chilling euphemism, was huge, as it was in Afghanistan where more civilians died in the failed hunt for bin Laden than perished in the Twin Towers. The use of the Powell Doctrine against Iraq will leave thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of innocents dead and badly wounded... incomparably more than would suffer in a ground invasion, in which troops fought with troops.

No one in their right mind wants to see our soldiers' lives endangered but they are trained and paid to fight, and there is something immoral about aerial warfare that offends some soldiers as much as peaceniks. It certainly disgusted French General Philippe Morillon during the Belgrade bombardment.

"What kind of soldier is it," he asked, "who is prepared to kill but not to die?"

What the Powell Doctrine - designed to avoid the body bags that fomented US public opinion against the Vietnam war - is really saying is this: it is better that 10,000 Iraqi doctors, nurses, street cleaners, geriatrics, mothers, schoolchildren, shopkeepers and new-born babies die than a single US soldier.

There's nothing new about this sort of gruesome calculation. When one of their soldiers was killed, the Romans would slaughter dozens of enemy troops in retaliation, while the Nazis would murder every civilian male in a village suspected of producing the killer.

But the Romans and the Nazis never had the US Constitution that George Bush swore to uphold. They also never had the soul-stirring Declaration of Independence, which tells the world: "We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their creator, with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Try explaining how "all men are created equal" ties in with the Powell Doctrine when the first stray "smart" bomb removes a hospital from the map of Baghdad.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...l&siteid=50143

Well, I think this post should go. Flame-invitation is what I call this. If you have something to say, use your own words, don't copy news articles.

-- Less is more --

I will say only this.
    The world is not a better place for the presence of tabloids like the "Daily Mirror".
    Words can do a lot of mischief.
    Read cr*p like this at your peril and please don't propogate it in forums.

I have to preface my comments by saying that I’m not in favor of toppling the Iraqi regime at this time. Aside from the human costs of war, the destabilizing affect it would have on the region would be worse than leaving a weakened Hussein in power. Imagine Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait rushing in to control a portion of Iraq. Not to mention the Kurdish issue as it relates to our NATO ally Turkey.

I also ant to make it quite clear that I like the Brits. You can look at my handle and see that. But when I see a rag like the Mirror or the Sun or the Daily Sport or the National Enquirer calling the US hypocritical I come close to choking.

As far as human rights go, all I have to do is think about the Guilford Four or the Birmingham Six. How about all the people sitting in UK prisons without trial on suspicion of belonging to the IRA? (Seems GWB took a play from the UK game book when he came up with the Patriot Act). Is it still illegal for the news media to put Gerry Adam’s voice out over the airwaves? (Assuming he is still head of Sinn Fein/IRA, it’s been a while since I was up on the situation).

As far as English Military campaigns go, ever hear of a little battle called Culloden? If you want something more recent try Suez 1956, or the Falklands.

I’m not trying to be combative here (believe it or not), but the idea of the UK referring to the US as hypocritical just seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

NewcastleB -
    Whoever posted this without any kind of comment is trying to provoke a reaction - don't give him the satisfaction.

Radegast, point well taken.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

ABW Ambassador
    I will make a single comment, but only to reitify one previous by Cellophane:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you have something to say, use your own words, don't copy news articles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My comment... Should one have the audacity to quote those enmeshed in "yellow journalism", he should grow a pair of cajones and at least preface or summarize with words of his own (presupposing that "Affiliate" is male).

Otherwise, posts like that are simply hogwash and balderdash.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

I've spent my time overseas with the U.S. Navy and i've encountered these people on their own turf. We were protested against, denied entry into port at times, and were told what parts of town to keep away from because the locals were dangerous. I have to say that I was always glad to get back home to the greatest country in the world.

Other countries have always disliked/hated americans for scads of reasons. Who knows the real reason. Thats why I don't listen when I hear the people saying we don't have the support of the other countries. We'll never have the support of these other countries no matter what. I started to read that post and didn't even finish. I quit two sentences after I read the word hypocrisy.

They whine and cry when we flex our muscle but whine and cry when they need our money. What do they really want? They want to be like us.

Ignore them. I trust our military and our president to keep these types at bay.

Have a great day
    Steve

Wrong forum folks!
    Depates about the stupidity of humanity and why mankind didn't managed to blow itself up yet should be discussed in the forums and chat rooms designed for that (as long they exist ).

p.s. Tip: Keep the "The Daily Mirror" out there as well. Tabloids are not welcome there either.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obstinatedon:
    he should grow a pair of cajones<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cajones or cojones?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Hey everyone,
    My post wasn't a 'Flame-invitation' (to quote Cellophane).
    As for the Daily Mirror being a tabloid, I have to say the following: The article in question was found doing a GoogleNews search - Google does not sort out tabloid press out. I don't read the Mirror, and I am against yellow press; but you do have to remember that there are millions that read it every day. And they might sare the view of the article. I am not certain if you all realize this, but there are people here and around the world that don't share the same views as we do. You should always know what other people think... disregarding/ignoring other's views doesn't make the problem go away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Affiliate:
    You should always know what other people think...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And you've still not posted an original thought. If you agree with a particular source, why not read and digest it, then form your own synopsis, add your own thoughts as to why the opinion has merit (or not) and add it to the GWB grows on you thread?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread