Just curious to which company is the worst on telemarketing, My 2 offenders are below. What's yours?

1. Worldcom(called me up to 5 times in one day) refused to take me off there lists.

2. A newspaper provider.. don't remember the name though.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

The local newspapers only call every couple of months, so they aren't so bad. There's a singles service that calls about once a week though, that gets annoying. My husband likes to tell them, "I'm not single and neither is my wife."

The absolute worst are the various state trooper and fire and veterans organizations. You give to one of them and then all of a sudden you get five more of them all calling. We got seven calls the other day from them. I'm not sure if it was the exact same place though, next time I'll keep better track. (After the third call, I thought it was a bit excessive, so I started making little "hash marks" on a post-it near the phone...)

If the phone rings at 5:00, 5:05, 8:30, or 8:35, I know to just not answer it.

--- Bobbi

(edited to fix my bad typing)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    In order for me to know, they'd have to leave a message on my answering machine--which they never do, they just hang up!

Which is fine with me. It's not very annoying at all, to just hit "delete" multiple times.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    Yet another reason to dump those land lines...

I still have one i rarely use, for fax and whatnot... tell them to be put on the no call list, sue them if they call back... if it really bothers you.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    The number #1 PAIN IN THE ARSE telemarker for me is Mortgage companies that call and want us to refinance our mortgage , which can not possibly be refinanced any lower than it is now.

Not interested, thankyou have a nice day I tell them .

As if they all read the same BOOK , the IMMEDIATE reply is "You're not interested in saving money?" How much is your interest rate?
    Grrrr...
    After the 99th call now my response is a sarcastic NO, I'm not . In fact, I was just about to go flush some money down the toilet until you called and disturbed me .

They ALWAYS hang-up now before I get done with that sentence .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    A newspaper provider.. don't remember the name though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paper: Are you familiar with our newspaper? Me: Yes.

Paper:When did you read it last? Me: 1973

Paper: Oh, then you have no idea what it's like now!

Me: Well, is it still off-white with black print and squarish in shape? Paper: Yes

Me: Then I know what it's like now. :-)

The worst though, is Pitney-Bowes whenever they realize that their days are numbered and they crank up the "free" postage meter campaign to get as many installed as they can before the end. Their contractors will call 3-4 times a day for a couple of weeks.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    What Leader said.....

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

I don't mind them very much. As soon as I figure out they are telemarketers I ask them if I may put them on hold for a moment, and they agree, so I do.

When the red light goes out I know they got tired of waiting.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa:
    The number #1 PAIN IN THE ARSE telemarker for me is Mortgage companies that call and want us to refinance our mortgage , which can not possibly be refinanced any lower than it is now.

Not interested, thankyou have a nice day I tell them .

As if they all read the same BOOK , the IMMEDIATE reply is "You're not interested in saving money?" How much is your interest rate?
    Grrrr...
    After the 99th call now my response is a sarcastic NO, I'm not . In fact, I was just about to go flush some money down the toilet until you called and disturbed me .

They ALWAYS hang-up now before I get done with that sentence .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having worked in various capacities for telemarketing firms, I can say that they do all read the same book. The client furnishes the telemarketing company with scripts and responses. Think of it as factory work without the repetive motion injuries. It pays rather well, too.

Take the opportunity to entertain yourself the next time they call. I like to make up new surroundings and convince them that they're true. "The last time I said yes to a telemarketer, my wife beat me sensless with a frying pan *hiccup*."

Well, I use my answering machine to screen them out, so my answer is "anyone who's obnoxious enough to leave a recorded ad message on my machine". This includes some company that wants to help me with my non-existant high-interest-debt problem, someone who keeps telling me I "won" a 100th anniversary trip to Diseny, and a couple of companies that the previous holders of my phone number owe money to...

I get about four or five hang-up calls a day while I'm home. I've answered it three times last week without screening: two MCI and one Quality Paperback Bookclub.

==================================================
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
    ==================================================

The top of my list for the last couple of months goes to microsoft.

Affiliate Manager
    Can I count the Red Cross?

I have had multiple times where they called me more than once in the SAME night. I have always been a regular blood donor (O-, so they like me) and stopped when I was pregnant, then because of a blood transfusion. All told, it wss almost two years of hearing from them at least once a week. I actually requested multiple times to be put on the do not call list and would still hear from them. I even got to know some of the callers- yeah, sandy- It's me again, still can't donate for another three months...

They did finally stop after I moved and changed numbers

I donate with the CBC now

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

What ticks me off is if you don't answer the phone, their automated system calls back every 30 minutes until someone does answer.

We were getting so many calls on my son's teen line we finally had to drop it.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread